Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is NZ better than the uk

Is NZ better than the uk

Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hectashouse
well, you are kind of inviting attention with all this continual responding..i just made a few comments, none of which were personally directed at you, yet you do seem to be quite hostile towards me?

G, there isn't any need to brag about how much money you have, or things that you have that others don't have..with those kind of attitudes, its really not at all surprising that you didn't like nz.

are you on crack by any chance? or just a bit mental?
Does anyone else find this a bit weird?

G
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

hectashouse is an unknown quantity at this point

well i know i do
Old Jan 31st 2004, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Gladrags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is NZ better than the uk

Originally posted by robernelli
I wonder how the Maori's feel about the control of immigrants such as the likes of you. I mean, they are pretty well out numbered now aren't they?
The only control in NZ should be on whinging Poms

I have yet to experience living in NZ, I am off to Wellington in April. OK, its no paradise island as what some like to believe but it has so much going for it and except for big city living can offer something so most people. ....it is really down to perceptions and expectations. For one you may have forgotten how crap the weather in the UK is.

I stopped posting on the site for a while because I thought the NZ bashing was too much. Seems as though things have got worse. I mean, its all about opinions but too many here seem too bitter and it can do without the wannabe Aussies like Bondi Pom having a dig as if he is on some kind of self justification.
We have lived in NZ for several years and really like it. We are however returning to live in the UK soon. I can't help but notice some contradictions in your post.

You have never lived here but believe it has so much going for it. That is a big leap of faith.

The weather. It has been raining on and off in Christchurch for a while now and the summer was short lived. In fact this has been our experience since we have been here.

Surely people are allowed to be as negative/positive as they see fit on a forum?

The Maori issue is complicated and deeply embedded here. Everyone has an opinion and yours would be a tiny minority voice judging by your opening comment.

Kiwis' approach to Maori issues 'childish'
31 January 2004
By MARY JANE BOLAND

New Zealanders' approach to Maori issues has become so tentative it is "childish", the godfather of the Waitangi Treaty settlement process says.

Sir Douglas Graham met National Party leader Don Brash in Auckland yesterday to show support for Dr Brash who has been criticised and acclaimed after his controversial "nationhood" speech on Tuesday.

In it, he outlined changes National would introduce if voted in next year. They include abolishing Maori seats and revoking customary titles issued under Labour's seabed and foreshore proposal.

Sir Douglas, a National stalwart and former minister in charge of Treaty negotiations, said he would not have supported Dr Brash had he wanted to end the Treaty settlement process.

But Sir Douglas, who was involved in some of the most significant Treaty settlements, including Ngai Tahu, said New Zealanders had become too tentative about Maori issues.

"It's reached the stage now if you say anything that doesn't produce some sort of benefit to Maori people then everybody says you're Maori bashing. That's just silly and childish."

Sir Douglas said he would go to marae "and give as good as I got" during the settlement process. Now, people were much more circumspect. The idea that Maori could end up with freehold title of the foreshore and seabed was "absurd".

He was sent an advance copy of Dr Brash's speech and said he was happy to show his support.

Dr Brash said he was pleased with reaction to his speech.

"People have said `thank heavens someone is finally willing to articulate a fear or a concern I've had for some time'. I appear to have found a concern that many people have."

Asked what he thought of Maori activist Ken Mair's view that his speech was "the Ku Klux Klan speech", Dr Brash said he found that offensive. His aim was to have people treated equally. "I can't see how that can be regarded as racist."
Old Jan 31st 2004, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Gladrags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
Does anyone else find this a bit weird?

G
To be fair G I find your cynicism and reflections quite refreshing. Keep it up
Old Jan 31st 2004, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I havent posted on htis thread before, as i htink most people know my opinion...but what gets my goat, is the arrogance of those who think because someone doesnt like NZ and prefers Oz, that they suffer from a superiority comlex??????...HUH??...get over yourselves!!!

I can rough it with the best of them, was born and raised on a council estate, and never in my life have i been accused of having a superiority complex..in fact, the thought of it makes me laugh out loud!!

I am not a whinger, i say things as i trully see them you only have to note my comments on Oz!!...i have no allegience to them, i am married to a kiwi, but he dislikes NZ now, more than i do.

I am truly pleased for all those who love NZ..i can see why some people would be very happy there, but all of us can only judge by our own life experiences, and for us its a complete no,no. Different strokes for different folks, and i resent being accused a superiority complex.. bloody cheek...

i'm off for another sulk...i may as well... its talk to myself time of the day on this board...always like this in the afternoons ...i'm not clever enough you know...
Old Jan 31st 2004, 1:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by robernelli
I wonder how the Maori's feel about the control of immigrants such as the likes of you. I mean, they are pretty well out numbered now aren't they?
The only control in NZ should be on whinging Poms

I have yet to experience living in NZ, I am off to Wellington in April. OK, its no paradise island as what some like to believe but it has so much going for it and except for big city living can offer something so most people. ....it is really down to perceptions and expectations. For one you may have forgotten how crap the weather in the UK is.

I stopped posting on the site for a while because I thought the NZ bashing was too much. Seems as though things have got worse. I mean, its all about opinions but too many here seem too bitter and it can do without the wannabe Aussies like Bondi Pom having a dig as if he is on some kind of self justification.
Wannabe Aussie here.

No self justification needed and I am open about the problems of Sydney. I am not bitter and I enjoy life whether in the UK or Oz. I went to NZ had took some of my personal time to have a look around Auckland and some of the region.

As i said before the region is nice but Auckland is not a pretty or exciting place. Plenty of others say the same including Kiwis. I think you know yourself NZ is not for the big city life and my guess is you are not going to Wellington for that either.

I deal with Kiwis every day at work who are both in Oz and NZ. The NZ techos I deal with are 9 out of 10 times slow, brain dead and cannot follow basic instructions. The NZ techos in Oz are just as good as the rest of the Aussies. Just my anecdotal experiences for what they are worth but god help NZ if the general workforce is like that.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 1:32 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
Wannabe Aussie here.

No self justification needed and I am open about the problems of Sydney. I am not bitter and I enjoy life whether in the UK or Oz. I went to NZ had took some of my personal time to have a look around Auckland and some of the region.

As i said before the region is nice but Auckland is not a pretty or exciting place. Plenty of others say the same including Kiwis. I think you know yourself NZ is not for the big city life and my guess is you are not going to Wellington for that either.

I deal with Kiwis every day at work who are both in Oz and NZ. The NZ techos I deal with are 9 out of 10 times slow, brain dead and cannot follow basic instructions. The NZ techos in Oz are just as good as the rest of the Aussies. Just my anecdotal experiences for what they are worth but god help NZ if the general workforce is like that.
OK...I'm frazzled and can't understand all this highbrow chitchat...so babelfish help!-> english->spanish->italian->japanese->english...

The Australian person of Wannabe here. There is the necessity in the justification 1 of the same, opens with the Sydney problem. Those life are bitter, it is not at joy England or ounce. As for those in me I occorr something when my private of the thing which has glance and something of area went to NZ which has that it possesses in ƒI?[ƒNƒ‰ƒ“ƒh. As for me area feeling is good, but ƒI?[ƒNƒ‰ƒ“ƒh is elegant unless it is the place or the movement whose was said before a certain thing which. The accumulation of other things means that it consists from equal 1 Tsuga ƒL?[ƒEƒB. The place for the duration where the city is splendid in NZ or, without going with to Wellington anyone for that, knowing that it is leaves my guess. Everyday of the work which has disposal ounce and NZ of ƒL?[ƒEƒB both. As for the ceiling of that NZ 9 time disks of the valve of the brain which is in the midst of breaking down of disposal external section 10, it is not possible to follow to the indication of the basis. Therefore as for the ceiling of NZ of ounce it became skillful as a remainder of the Australian person it is good. The leader the way if immature work with immediately anecdote my experience those just the grant of God is the value of NZ or, because some.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 2:06 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

'As for the ceiling of that NZ...brain which is in the midst of breaking down, of disposal'

A sad indictment
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

I think you are totally right however don't get me wrong I am not moaning about NZ, I beleive that you have to accept the country for what it is, but people should be aware of the differences between here and the UK, so they can make correct judgement calls, I was told before I came over that..."that its just like the uK but warmer" on several occassions. But as a immigrant I believe it is right to try to live my life as a kiwi would....(damm its hard) and I believe all immigrants to all countries should do the same.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jueinnz But as a immigrant I believe it is right to try to live my life as a kiwi would
But which Kiwi?
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:29 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Florida_03
OK...I'm frazzled and can't understand all this highbrow chitchat...so babelfish help!-> english->spanish->italian->japanese->english...

The Australian person of Wannabe here. There is the necessity in the justification 1 of the same, opens with the Sydney problem. Those life are bitter, it is not at joy England or ounce. As for those in me I occorr something when my private of the thing which has glance and something of area went to NZ which has that it possesses in ƒI?[ƒNƒ‰ƒ“ƒh. As for me area feeling is good, but ƒI?[ƒNƒ‰ƒ“ƒh is elegant unless it is the place or the movement whose was said before a certain thing which. The accumulation of other things means that it consists from equal 1 Tsuga ƒL?[ƒEƒB. The place for the duration where the city is splendid in NZ or, without going with to Wellington anyone for that, knowing that it is leaves my guess. Everyday of the work which has disposal ounce and NZ of ƒL?[ƒEƒB both. As for the ceiling of that NZ 9 time disks of the valve of the brain which is in the midst of breaking down of disposal external section 10, it is not possible to follow to the indication of the basis. Therefore as for the ceiling of NZ of ounce it became skillful as a remainder of the Australian person it is good. The leader the way if immature work with immediately anecdote my experience those just the grant of God is the value of NZ or, because some.
this either has to be the weirdest post I've ever seen on this website (and that's saying something), or the most intelligent....

pure genius.... I think babelfish needs some work. maybe we need to send some of those slow kiwis over to re-program it
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:37 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
I havent posted on htis thread before, as i htink most people know my opinion...but what gets my goat, is the arrogance of those who think because someone doesnt like NZ and prefers Oz, that they suffer from a superiority comlex??????...HUH??...get over yourselves!!!

I can rough it with the best of them, was born and raised on a council estate, and never in my life have i been accused of having a superiority complex..in fact, the thought of it makes me laugh out loud!!

I am not a whinger, i say things as i trully see them you only have to note my comments on Oz!!...i have no allegience to them, i am married to a kiwi, but he dislikes NZ now, more than i do.

I am truly pleased for all those who love NZ..i can see why some people would be very happy there, but all of us can only judge by our own life experiences, and for us its a complete no,no. Different strokes for different folks, and i resent being accused a superiority complex.. bloody cheek...

i'm off for another sulk...i may as well... its talk to myself time of the day on this board...always like this in the afternoons ...i'm not clever enough you know...
relax... wasn't it you asking of those offended were being too sensitive??

i personally wasn't implying you felt you were superior... I meant that as NZ is often the butt of jokes in aust, it's quite likely those living in oz have picked up on some of the attitudes ozzies have towards NZ (correct or otherwise).

as you've lived in NZ, obviously that doesn't apply to you
Old Feb 10th 2004, 12:31 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gladrags
We have lived in NZ for several years and really like it. We are however returning to live in the UK soon. I can't help but notice some contradictions in your post.

You have never lived here but believe it has so much going for it. That is a big leap of faith.

The weather. It has been raining on and off in Christchurch for a while now and the summer was short lived. In fact this has been our experience since we have been here.

Surely people are allowed to be as negative/positive as they see fit on a forum?

The Maori issue is complicated and deeply embedded here. Everyone has an opinion and yours would be a tiny minority voice judging by your opening comment.

Kiwis' approach to Maori issues 'childish'
31 January 2004
By MARY JANE BOLAND

New Zealanders' approach to Maori issues has become so tentative it is "childish", the godfather of the Waitangi Treaty settlement process says.

Sir Douglas Graham met National Party leader Don Brash in Auckland yesterday to show support for Dr Brash who has been criticised and acclaimed after his controversial "nationhood" speech on Tuesday.

In it, he outlined changes National would introduce if voted in next year. They include abolishing Maori seats and revoking customary titles issued under Labour's seabed and foreshore proposal.

Sir Douglas, a National stalwart and former minister in charge of Treaty negotiations, said he would not have supported Dr Brash had he wanted to end the Treaty settlement process.

But Sir Douglas, who was involved in some of the most significant Treaty settlements, including Ngai Tahu, said New Zealanders had become too tentative about Maori issues.

"It's reached the stage now if you say anything that doesn't produce some sort of benefit to Maori people then everybody says you're Maori bashing. That's just silly and childish."

Sir Douglas said he would go to marae "and give as good as I got" during the settlement process. Now, people were much more circumspect. The idea that Maori could end up with freehold title of the foreshore and seabed was "absurd".

He was sent an advance copy of Dr Brash's speech and said he was happy to show his support.

Dr Brash said he was pleased with reaction to his speech.

"People have said `thank heavens someone is finally willing to articulate a fear or a concern I've had for some time'. I appear to have found a concern that many people have."

Asked what he thought of Maori activist Ken Mair's view that his speech was "the Ku Klux Klan speech", Dr Brash said he found that offensive. His aim was to have people treated equally. "I can't see how that can be regarded as racist."
Gladrags,
My Maori/immigration comment was simply in respect of the ridiculous comment of the person I was responding to...I mean, on a forum about immigrating and complaining about immigration in the UK seems a little contradictory doesn't it??

I am not sure what your cut and paste is supposed to mean exactly...sure it is a complicated issue with many different opinions.

Yes, I have never lived there and there is an element of a leap of faith but it is one done based considerable research including visits and I just think it fits my personality more than the UK, Oz, US, Spain, South Africa and other popular places for Brits to move to. At the end of the day, I am not selling up and will come back when my work contract expires if I do not like it.

Rob
Old Feb 10th 2004, 12:38 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

....I deal with Kiwis every day at work who are both in Oz and NZ. The NZ techos I deal with are 9 out of 10 times slow, brain dead and cannot follow basic instructions. The NZ techos in Oz are just as good as the rest of the Aussies. Just my anecdotal experiences for what they are worth but god help NZ if the general workforce is like that. [/QUOTE]

Seems a little unfair generalisation but I supposed that is you experience. Seems irrelevant as to whether is is a good place to live and work for me but then I am not in IT.

Rob