My Trip

Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Talking My Trip

Hi everyone

We arrived back on Saturday afternoon. We had a really good journey from Brisbane with Singapore Airlines who were excellent. This was the second time that we had used them., and they were really helpful when we could not fly as originally planned due to the fact my daughter was unwell.

We arrived in Brisbane at around 8.30 pm which I thought was better than arriving in the morning as we could go to bed when we got there so we did not suffer from any jet lag. I would reccommend for those who are travelling to Brisbane – try to get on one of the flights that arrives in the evening and not the morning as you will feel better for it. The time before we arrived in the morning and spent the whole day feeling knackered.

Upon arrival I had to forcibly removed my rose tinted specs as my daughter broke them – yes they were really rose tinted and I got them from Next )

Upon arrival we had to stay with a friend of ours who lives in Benowa (Gold Coast) as everywhere was fully booked due to the Australia day weekend. After a few days we were able to move to a nice place just near to Surfers Paradise. It was a really comfortable two beroom apartment with lots of facilities. We paid $120 for all of us Per night which was the standby rate.

We then decided to look at different areas etc for homes. We liked the Robina area. Husband who is in the Hotel Business spoke to some job agencies who said that he would have to take a drop in position as he had no Asia/Pacific experience despite the fact that he has won awards for managing hotels on the Med. We then decided to think about what we should do and we have now decided to buy a business called Management Rights where you buy the right to manage a holýday complex. We have spoken to various Estate Agents and they are looking around for us at the moment. We have decided to settle on the Gold Coast.

We were rather surprised by the bad service in many restaurants etc. It seemed that they almost could not care less. Many places were very unorganised.

I thought that the supermarkets had a lot of choice and do not think that there is a lot that I would miss – but, then again I eat Med style most of the time anyway, I did prefer Coles though. If you are a chocolate lover – dont try Roses as they are vile – taste like candlewax! The maltesers were good though .

We did try to open a bank account with HSBC but it was a palaver so we opened an account with Suncorp and they will give us our cards etc when we arrive in 6 months time.

We really had a great time and the kids did not want to come back. We are really looking forward to going now – I am sure that we will have our ups and downs but we feel that we must try it as we don’t want to be saying ‘What if’ when we are in our zimmer frames

I would say that we are glad we went on this trip as now we are a lot clearer about what we will do when we get there. It was worth spending the money.

Came back and the house sale was still not completed and it has now been going through since Nov 2003. Just hope that they dont drop out now.

Last edited by debsy; Feb 9th 2004 at 12:17 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Sound like you had a really good trip.
Just goes to show how the prices differ fron state to state. We were in Pert all over christmas and New Year last year.
We had a fantastic 2 bedroom unit, with air con, swimming pool, even a washing machine. we paid 140 dollars a week!!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi debsy,Glad your trip went well.Hope it all comes together for you all.If you ever visit sa give us a call.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:39 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Trip

Originally posted by debsy
Hi everyone

We arrived back on Saturday afternoon. We had a really good journey from Brisbane with Singapore Airlines who were excellent. This was the second time that we had used them., and they were really helpful when we could not fly as originally planned due to the fact my daughter was unwell.

We arrived in Brisbane at around 8.30 pm which I thought was better than arriving in the morning as we could go to bed when we got there so we did not suffer from any jet lag. I would reccommend for those who are travelling to Brisbane – try to get on one of the flights that arrives in the evening and not the morning as you will feel better for it. The time before we arrived in the morning and spent the whole day feeling knackered.

Upon arrival I had to forcibly removed my rose tinted specs as my daughter broke them – yes they were really rose tinted and I got them from Next )

Upon arrival we had to stay with a friend of ours who lives in Benowa (Gold Coast) as everywhere was fully booked due to the Australia day weekend. After a few days we were able to move to a nice place just near to Surfers Paradise. It was a really comfortable two beroom apartment with lots of facilities. We paid $120 for all of us Per night which was the standby rate.

We then decided to look at different areas etc for homes. We liked the Robina area. Husband who is in the Hotel Business spoke to some job agencies who said that he would have to take a drop in position as he had no Asia/Pacific experience despite the fact that he has won awards for managing hotels on the Med. We then decided to think about what we should do and we have now decided to buy a business called Management Rights where you buy the right to manage a holýday complex. We have spoken to various Estate Agents and they are looking around for us at the moment. We have decided to settle on the Gold Coast.

We were rather surprised by the bad service in many restaurants etc. It seemed that they almost could not care less. Many places were very unorganised.

I thought that the supermarkets had a lot of choice and do not think that there is a lot that I would miss – but, then again I eat Med style most of the time anyway, I did prefer Coles though. If you are a chocolate lover – dont try Roses as they are vile – taste like candlewax! The maltesers were good though .

We did try to open a bank account with HSBC but it was a palaver so we opened an account with Suncorp and they will give us our cards etc when we arrive in 6 months time.

We really had a great time and the kids did not want to come back. We are really looking forward to going now – I am sure that we will have our ups and downs but we feel that we must try it as we don’t want to be saying ‘What if’ when we are in our zimmer frames

I would say that we are glad we went on this trip as now we are a lot clearer about what we will do when we get there. It was worth spending the money.

Came back and the house sale was still not completed and it has now been going through since Nov 2003. Just hope that they dont drop out now.
nice one debs pleased to hear you`ve won the sprogs over
Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:06 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Sound like you had a really good trip.
Just goes to show how the prices differ fron state to state. We were in Pert all over christmas and New Year last year.
We had a fantastic 2 bedroom unit, with air con, swimming pool, even a washing machine. we paid 140 dollars a week!!

[thread hijack]

tell me more !!!

we are heading down to Perth mid April and I'm starting to look for temp accom until we can find the right house. This one you had sounds like a really great deal.

which part of perth was it in ? how did you find it ? Is it still available ? Am I correct to assume it was furnished ? Was there a mimimum rental period ?

Please, please, please .... tell me more !

[/thread hijack]
Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

tmmykatie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
[thread hijack]

tell me more !!!

we are heading down to Perth mid April and I'm starting to look for temp accom until we can find the right house. This one you had sounds like a really great deal.

which part of perth was it in ? how did you find it ? Is it still available ? Am I correct to assume it was furnished ? Was there a mimimum rental period ?

Please, please, please .... tell me more !

[/thread hijack]

please please also tell me where in perth this is
Old Feb 9th 2004, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by jockney
Hi debsy,Glad your trip went well.Hope it all comes together for you all.If you ever visit sa give us a call.
Thanks Jockney. That would be nice. When Steve gets there we can have an Essex meet
Old Feb 9th 2004, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Debsy,
Glad your trip went well after the trauma you had before you got there. Have you set a date for the big move yet?
Michaela
Old Feb 10th 2004, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Michaela,

We are now expecting to go permanently in September. We are really looking forward to it. When are you off?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:25 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Debsy,
We go on 21st Feb, 10 days :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

OMG - Are you packed? Where are you going when you first get there?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Debs, it sounds like you had a good time anyway. Whats the story with Management rights, I have seen lots for sale recently, are there certain rules etc or are all individual offers depending on the circumstances?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiya Mrs D
Shame that we did not get to meet up. However, I will be back soon. By the sounds of Pollys container - I had better send my stuff now.

We have to get a licence for the management rights so hubby returned from holiday with a bag full of books in tow from TAFE as you can do it by correspondence which is handy so we will it ready when we arrive. Anyone can buy them apparently as long as they have a licence but dont quote me on that.

As hubby is experienced in hospitality management we thought that this would be a good thing for us to get in to. There are two types - permanent and holiday but we are going to go for the holiday.

We have found agents' one of which was really excellent and they are looking for porperties for us at the moment.

regards
debs
Old Feb 10th 2004, 12:14 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Deb, gives a bit more clarity to it, I was looking at businesses for sale & there were heaps & heaps of management rights for sale but I couldnt work out the gist of the situation.

We might be heading over that way at end of next month anyway, if we get to your neck of the woods I'll come & drop in .
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes it would be great to see you. I will PM you with contact details.