NZ - Batch????

Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:37 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ - Batch????

Ok I here in NZ working - but what are these batches? Watching TV in Auckland, (sorry the ads in between) I can get my electricity bill combined with my batch, if I was in in time from work I could watch programs about building a batch?

Somebody help me....I do not want one (I think?), but according to the ads on TV I can get a mortgage for one even if I cannot afford my first home mortgage.

My understanding so far is it is a shed on a large patch of land where no one else want to live full time, or too far to commute to a real job?

So my real question............Do I need a shed?

Cheers
Old Feb 24th 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Accommodation for a 'batch'elor

LOL

Can be:
:a shed which has been converted to provide extra sleeping unit (equivalent of the kids camping in tent in garden),
:a room in basement converted to be independent and en-suite
:what we would call a holiday chalet or even beach hut.

Location usually identifies which

HTH
Old Feb 24th 2004, 12:18 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ailsa
Accommodation for a 'batch'elor

LOL

Can be:
:a shed which has been converted to provide extra sleeping unit (equivalent of the kids camping in tent in garden),
:a room in basement converted to be independent and en-suite
:what we would call a holiday chalet or even beach hut.

Location usually identifies which

HTH
Usually (traditionally) just means holiday place by the sea, often simple, ie weatherboard construction + iron roof, thrown up by few mates over a couple of weekends. Over time has turned into lucrative Coromandel building plot. Crib down south.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Servant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant future
Default Re: NZ - Batch????

Originally posted by Sandra
Ok I here in NZ working - but what are these batches? Watching TV in Auckland, (sorry the ads in between) I can get my electricity bill combined with my batch, if I was in in time from work I could watch programs about building a batch?

Somebody help me....I do not want one (I think?), but according to the ads on TV I can get a mortgage for one even if I cannot afford my first home mortgage.

My understanding so far is it is a shed on a large patch of land where no one else want to live full time, or too far to commute to a real job?

So my real question............Do I need a shed?

Cheers
A 'bach' (pron. batch) is usually a holiday home - a basic ant-infested weatherboard house usually close to the beach.

Kiwis leave the city in droves during bank holidays/Christmas etc. to slum it out in their bach. Obviously, the wealthier you are the better you can afford. Quite a few Kiwis have a healthy investment in their bachs as property with a beach or sea view have shot up in price, esp around Auckland.

A 'lifestyle' property is different in that it is usually in the countryside or 'bush' - basic like a bach but with acreage.

HTH
Glenda
:lecture:
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:05 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Right - so if I am in the money in NZ, living and working in Auckland, I buy a 'batch' (thanks to Ailsa for the understanding of the term) if I do I buy more than an acre cause it might become popular and I can sell on for large profit after me and family have enjoyed it.

Brilliant - it becomes more than obvious watching these commericals once you have the know how of 'expats'

Thanks folks

I live in Sydney....but becoming more attracted to NZ lifestyle!

PS....can expat people on normal wages in Auckland afford these batches? Cause the house prices astound me here and I am mortgaged in Sydney. And the house prices seem very connected to schools...eg Auckland Grammer?

Ps hope all you good folk in NZ are not affected by the bushfires in Dunedin...or the floods north west.

Cheers Sand

PS only edited to try and spell better! I think

Last edited by Sandra; Feb 24th 2004 at 1:08 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Servant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sandra
Right - so if I am in the money in NZ, living and working in Auckland, I buy a 'batch' (thanks to Ailsa for the understanding of the term) if I do I buy more than an acre cause it might become popular and I can sell on for large profit after me and family have enjoyed it.

Brilliant - it becomes more than obvious watching these commericals once you have the know how of 'expats'

Thanks folks

I live in Sydney....but becoming more attracted to NZ lifestyle!

PS....can expat people on normal wages in Auckland afford these batches? Cause the house prices astound me here and I am mortgaged in Sydney. And the house prices seem very connected to schools...eg Auckland Grammer?

Ps hope all you good folk in NZ are not affected by the bushfires
in Dunedin...or the floods north west.

Cheers Sand

PS only edited to try and spell better! I think
Hi again,

It is a bit like buying a second home in the UK or Europe. If you have the extra money (or mortgage availability ), especially after buying a house in Auckland, then go for it.

The places to look at near Auckland are the small coastal villages in the Warkworth region, north of Auckland. There is talk of extending the motorway from Orewa to Warkworth and the place is buzzing. We counted 8 estate agents in the town (which according to my Lonely Planet book has a population of just 2,500). For a longer term investment go to the coastal areas a little bit further north towards Wellsford (Pakiri, Omaha, Manawhai for example).

Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Servant24kids
Hi again,

It is a bit like buying a second home in the UK or Europe. If you have the extra money (or mortgage availability ), especially after buying a house in Auckland, then go for it.

The places to look at near Auckland are the small coastal villages in the Warkworth region, north of Auckland. There is talk of extending the motorway from Orewa to Warkworth and the place is buzzing. We counted 8 estate agents in the town (which according to my Lonely Planet book has a population of just 2,500). For a longer term investment go to the coastal areas a little bit further north towards Wellsford (Pakiri, Omaha, Manawhai for example).

Forgot to mention that like UK holiday homes you can furnish and rent out to unsuspecting tourists - we paid $300 per night for a bach in the high season. It did have a lot of space, a beach and a view to kill for!

Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:36 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Servant24kids
The places to look at near Auckland are the small coastal villages in the Warkworth region, north of Auckland.
Sandspit, Leigh etc - forget Omaha it's nasty and overdone. Won't get a beachside bach with 700 sq there for less than NZD400K though
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:44 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Sandspit, Leigh etc - forget Omaha it's nasty and overdone. Won't get a beachside bach with 700 sq there for less than NZD400K though
OK I will finally name it right - bach!.......what is 700 sq, is that square meters!!! at 400K NZD!

Sugar I will stick with Sydney prices, I do not think I have near enough to pay that for a shed......and I am still finding the supermarket prices here awful compared to Sydney!

I am very interested though, it is amazing when people think NZ/Aus is cheap!

my 'bach' dreams in NZ will live for another day!
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:48 pm
Don
Banned

That was sq m but this computer keyboard is crap

Go off beach poor view 500 m inland and it's half price for the section.

NZ not cheap unless you like Invercargill or Foxton. (Not bad places, actually.)
Old Feb 24th 2004, 2:40 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

only cheap if you have £££ not NZ$$$
Old Feb 24th 2004, 2:50 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by jandjuk
only cheap if you have £££ not NZ$$$
Agree - 400K NZD is equivalent to 400K GBP to me earning much much less in AUD!

Sandra.........paying a 500K+ AUD mortgage / earning alot less than GBP.

I think!