Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

nursing in australia

nursing in australia

Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

strongbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: nursing in australia

Our plan is to go out on this visa and then for for PR if we like it on my partner's job, the 457 is only for a year during which time we can be sorting out buying a house etc.
But the way things are moving we will be going out mid august- we both now have job offers and an offer on the house from a cash buyer...
When are you planning to go out?
Strongbow
Old Jun 29th 2005, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

anna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant future
Question Re: nursing in australia

Originally Posted by JAJ
The problem is that some people who 'try before they buy' then find they can't get a PR visa and have to go home.

It's not that much harder for most nurses to get a PR visa immediately rather than a 457.

Jeremy
sorry i just gatecrashed your thread,new to this website.I am with husband and two children my husband has 457 visa.i am a nurse and i was just going to get work ,once registered, on my husbands visa.would i be better applying for pr visa?
Old Jun 29th 2005, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Re: nursing in australia

Originally Posted by strongbow
Our plan is to go out on this visa and then for for PR if we like it on my partner's job, the 457 is only for a year during which time we can be sorting out buying a house etc.
But the way things are moving we will be going out mid august- we both now have job offers and an offer on the house from a cash buyer...
When are you planning to go out?
Strongbow

I could be wrong but I thought the only housing you could buy on a 457 visa were new builds?
Old Jun 29th 2005, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
The problem is that some people who 'try before they buy' then find they can't get a PR visa and have to go home.

It's not that much harder for most nurses to get a PR visa immediately rather than a 457.

Jeremy
I did it primarily because my hubby's work wanted him there immediately and we got the 457 visas within about 8 weeks of applying for it...but yes, agree that its better to go for PR
Old Jun 30th 2005, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

anna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant future
Question Re: nursing in australia

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
I did it primarily because my hubby's work wanted him there immediately and we got the 457 visas within about 8 weeks of applying for it...but yes, agree that its better to go for PR
do you think i should apply for a pr even though my husband has got a 457 and we have not made up our minds if we definately want to stay.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 6:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anna marie shlyshen
do you think i should apply for a pr even though my husband has got a 457 and we have not made up our minds if we definately want to stay.
Yes.

G
Old Jul 17th 2005, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
Yes.

G
Can anybody tell me how long it takes to get a pr visa if you are in austrailia,I am a nurse but husband here on 457 visa.He will be 45 in april next year,so if we want a pr should we apply now.Also what does this TRA assessment involve.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:14 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Can anybody tell me how long it takes to get a pr visa if you are in austrailia,I am a nurse but husband here on 457 visa.He will be 45 in april next year,so if we want a pr should we apply now.Also what does this TRA assessment involve.

Hi we came on a 457 visa as I'm a midwife and applied for PR visa once here. If you can, change NOW before you arrive as we found the 457 very restrictive. Luckily we were just granted PR last week but this was after much heartache as my son was very nearly not granted PR because he is over 18.

The time scale for us was initial application for PR logged in Dec 2004 and probably because of the extra probs, PR not granted till July 2005.

I would urge anyone out there who have older kids, as in our case, to get PR FIRST especially if you are a nurse or midwife, before coming to Oz as the real threat of having to send them back to the UK is heartbreaking for them and you.

The other reason is that jobs in hospitals tend to come up in areas were they cant retain staff eg. Sydney and in those areas housing to rent and buy can be very expensive therefore give it some thought as there is no Sydney weighting like there is in London. 457 visa will not give you the freedom to move as you will be tied to that hospital for around 1yr.

Don't get me wrong we are really enjoying Sydney and the kids just love it but its all these things that one has to think about before embarking on the BIG move. We didnt find this forum until a month or so before we left the UK on the 457 visa so we didnt realise that PR would be as easy to get as a 457 as a nurse..we didnt have the wealth of experiences of EXPATS to use. We really didnt get the benefit till we were here in Sydney attending Expats meets and listening to they way that other Expats, many of them nurses/ midwives came to be here.

Good luck everyone with you applications I love it here and can't believe I'm here...every time I see the harbour bridge/opera house/ hear the different bird sounds, I think OMG I'M IN AUSTRALIA!!!

Pauline aka Mrs Soapy
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your prompt reply mrs soapy.We are currently here at present, my husband is on a 457 visa and we are in process of changing to get onto his visa.I have discovered that from this site being a nurse it is just as easy to get on a pr visa.We have two kids aged 5 and 9 and we thought that if we wanted to stay in the long term we would be better applying just now as my husband will be 45 in april.Thanks for your advice, do you have any tips on how to get over missing friends and family.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:14 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
Hi we came on a 457 visa as I'm a midwife and applied for PR visa once here. If you can, change NOW before you arrive as we found the 457 very restrictive. Luckily we were just granted PR last week but this was after much heartache as my son was very nearly not granted PR because he is over 18.

The time scale for us was initial application for PR logged in Dec 2004 and probably because of the extra probs, PR not granted till July 2005.

I would urge anyone out there who have older kids, as in our case, to get PR FIRST especially if you are a nurse or midwife, before coming to Oz as the real threat of having to send them back to the UK is heartbreaking for them and you.

The other reason is that jobs in hospitals tend to come up in areas were they cant retain staff eg. Sydney and in those areas housing to rent and buy can be very expensive therefore give it some thought as there is no Sydney weighting like there is in London. 457 visa will not give you the freedom to move as you will be tied to that hospital for around 1yr.

Don't get me wrong we are really enjoying Sydney and the kids just love it but its all these things that one has to think about before embarking on the BIG move. We didnt find this forum until a month or so before we left the UK on the 457 visa so we didnt realise that PR would be as easy to get as a 457 as a nurse..we didnt have the wealth of experiences of EXPATS to use. We really didnt get the benefit till we were here in Sydney attending Expats meets and listening to they way that other Expats, many of them nurses/ midwives came to be here.

Good luck everyone with you applications I love it here and can't believe I'm here...every time I see the harbour bridge/opera house/ hear the different bird sounds, I think OMG I'M IN AUSTRALIA!!!

Pauline aka Mrs Soapy
Thanks for the advice. I came here on a 457 visa as my nurse hubby was sponsored and unfortunately he doesn't really like it where he is working. I am currently trying to find a job as Im a nurse too. We discussed getting PR but were unsure how to or when but this site has been a great help!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:30 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your prompt reply mrs soapy.We are currently here at present, my husband is on a 457 visa and we are in process of changing to get onto his visa.I have discovered that from this site being a nurse it is just as easy to get on a pr visa.We have two kids aged 5 and 9 and we thought that if we wanted to stay in the long term we would be better applying just now as my husband will be 45 in april.Thanks for your advice, do you have any tips on how to get over missing friends and family.
yip, this helps
download skype and u can call anyone who has a pc for free.
http://www.skype.com/helloagain.html
the kids can talkt to pals on it too.
soapy
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soapy
yip, this helps
download skype and u can call anyone who has a pc for free.
http://www.skype.com/helloagain.html
the kids can talkt to pals on it too.
soapy
Thanks will give it a try.