Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Number of Holiday Days in Sydney

Number of Holiday Days in Sydney

Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Supertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really nice
Default Number of Holiday Days in Sydney

Hi Everyone

In the UK I typically get around 25 days annual leave, plus the normal bank holidays.

With my new contract, it states just 20 days holiday. Is this standard? Or should I ask for more?

How many bank holiday days are there in Australia each year.

Thanks,
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Number of Holiday Days in Sydney

Four weeks (20 working days) is standard here. Google tells me NSW had 10 public holidays in 2010.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supertoots
Hi Everyone

In the UK I typically get around 25 days annual leave, plus the normal bank holidays.

With my new contract, it states just 20 days holiday. Is this standard? Or should I ask for more?

Thanks,
20 days annual leave is standard + public holidays.

http://www.industrialrelations.nsw.g..._Holidays.html
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:10 am
Just Joined

karen1403 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would we get the day off for the Royal wedding in april in Oz if the UK are? lol (worth a try)
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Supertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really nice

Originally Posted by karen1403
Would we get the day off for the Royal wedding in april in Oz if the UK are? lol (worth a try)
Ah ok. Thats not too bad then. Thanks everyone.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Given the confusion the Anzac Day/Easter clash has caused the state governments in public holidays next year I think adding an extra day to the same week is probably likely to be not a buckleys
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spottydog
Given the confusion the Anzac Day/Easter clash has caused the state governments in public holidays next year I think adding an extra day to the same week is probably likely to be not a buckleys
Which states aren't going to have a five day weekend for Easter 2011? Qld certainly is having 5 days of glory. It might even be sunny by then!

To the OP - count yourself lucky. I worked in the public sector in the UK and we got 30 days + bank holidays. Cutting back to 20 was a shock to the system
Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:29 am
ABCDiamond

It gets offset by the fact that we get the Queens Birthday as a Holiday, but the UK don't

The NSW 2011 Holidays are listed as:
  1. Monday, 3 January New Year's Day
  2. Wednesday, 26 January Australia Day
  3. Friday, 22 April Good Friday
  4. Saturday, 23 April Easter Saturday
  5. Tuesday, 26 April Easter Monday
  6. Monday, 25 April Anzac Day
  7. Monday, 13 June Queen's Birthday
  8. Monday, 1 August Bank Holiday
  9. Monday, 3 October Labour Day
  10. Monday, 26 December Christmas Day
  11. Tuesday, 27 December Boxing Day
There are other days that some areas of NSW also get.

Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by James516
Which states aren't going to have a five day weekend for Easter 2011? Qld certainly is having 5 days of glory. It might even be sunny by then!

To the OP - count yourself lucky. I worked in the public sector in the UK and we got 30 days + bank holidays. Cutting back to 20 was a shock to the system
Yeah, but that level of generosity to all staff has proven to financially unsustainable. The UK is massively slashing public service positions and benefits. It will normalise to more the Australian standard.

It would be great for most workers to get that, but history has shown it just can't be maintained forever. Australia has a more realistic level of benefits and leave.

Its a hell of a lot better than the USA and Canada.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by James516
Snap. I had 30 days in the UK (private, not public) and it's 20 days here. But it's not as cut & dried as that because here you get other types of leave: sick (which accrues?), long service, care, etc, etc.

I'm sure someone has run the numbers and has a really cool macro and pivot table-based Excel spreadsheet that takes 1,000 lines of calculation to confirm that it all works out about even in the end.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 5:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Hills Boy
Snap. I had 30 days in the UK (private, not public) and it's 20 days here. But it's not as cut & dried as that because here you get other types of leave: sick (which accrues?), long service, care, etc, etc.

I'm sure someone has run the numbers and has a really cool macro and pivot table-based Excel spreadsheet that takes 1,000 lines of calculation to confirm that it all works out about even in the end.
1,005 actually

Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It gets offset by the fact that we get the Queens Birthday as a Holiday, but the UK don't

The NSW 2011 Holidays are listed as:
  1. Monday, 3 January New Year's Day
  2. Wednesday, 26 January Australia Day
  3. Friday, 22 April Good Friday
  4. Saturday, 23 April Easter Saturday
  5. Tuesday, 26 April Easter Monday
  6. Monday, 25 April Anzac Day
  7. Monday, 13 June Queen's Birthday
  8. Monday, 1 August Bank Holiday
  9. Monday, 3 October Labour Day
  10. Monday, 26 December Christmas Day
  11. Tuesday, 27 December Boxing Day
There are other days that some areas of NSW also get.
As an FYI the bank holiday only applies if you work for a bank (for everyone else it is just a day the banks are shut on)
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spottydog
As an FYI the bank holiday only applies if you work for a bank (for everyone else it is just a day the banks are shut on)
It is interesting how NSW lists that day in the list of "NSW Public Holidays 2010-2012" at http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...vacations.html

The only rider being ** Not a state-wide public holiday.

I was just reading up on Queensland Public Holidays and found this change for 2010...
The Holidays Act 1983 was amended to provide for the observance of two public holidays for Christmas Day on 25 and 28 December 2010 and for two public holidays for New Year's Day on 1 and 3 January. That gives us 12 each year for 2010 and 2011

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supertoots
Hi Everyone

Thanks,
This is Australia . . . everyday's a holiday day!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is interesting how NSW lists that day in the list of "NSW Public Holidays 2010-2012" at http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...vacations.html

The only rider being ** Not a state-wide public holiday.

I was just reading up on Queensland Public Holidays and found this change for 2010...
The Holidays Act 1983 was amended to provide for the observance of two public holidays for Christmas Day on 25 and 28 December 2010 and for two public holidays for New Year's Day on 1 and 3 January. That gives us 12 each year for 2010 and 2011
Personally I never feel a public holiday on a Saturday is a public holiday as I don't work weekends anyway. With the moving of the public holiday for Christmas and new year this year I don't get any extra days off (just don't lose any either like we did recently when Anzac Day fell on a weekend)

The bank holiday is a sneaky one as it affects all banks & credit unions in NSW. Working in banking I love this extra day off when the OH has to go to work .

Last edited by spottydog; Dec 4th 2010 at 2:11 am. Reason: Bank Holiday