Job Hunting....

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough
Default Job Hunting....

After much money, effort and stress I have completed my first year of Building Design (pat on the back) . Leaving me with a certificate IV in residential drafting. Now what?

I have been looking for jobs on seek and seem to have no luck with searches across the Gold Coast. I know that in this industry it does depend greatly on who you know and by word of mouth. Most places are asking for experience, 3 years plus and I'm not even sure of how to approach companies that may not even be looking for students,especially ones that can only offer a couple of days per week.

This is stressing me out!!

I have a list of drafting companies and would like to know which is the best method to approach them for work, do I pop by with a CV? what if that's inconvenient for them, and that's if I can get through the reception to see anyone....
Do I call first?
E-mail?

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated B x
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Hunting....

I just wanted to say

Im sure someone will reply soon with some help.
Old Dec 3rd 2010, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Not much help, but I know that when I was talking to a few companies in September, they all wanted at least 5 years experience, which is fine for me as I have double that, but it does make it hard for newly qualified people.

Are you proficient in AutoCAD or Revit? As they are the popular programs here.

Companies also seem to love people who (like me) qualified in and have experience from the UK. Apparently we have a much broader range of experience, opposed to the ozzies get into one sector and stick to it.

With regards to how to approach the companies, your best bet would probably be to write a letter saying that you have qualified, and you understand that they may not have any vacancies, but could you pop in and have a chat about the job in general and see people's work, and pop your CV in with it. It might help to get you known, and if they do have a vacancy in the future, you're one step ahead of the rest.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough

Thanks for these replies. That's a good idea, I'm starting my mission on monday. Let you know how it goes.