Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not taking much Containers How big?

Not taking much Containers How big?

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:00 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about
Default Not taking much Containers How big?

Hopefully off to Oz, any year now. Was wondering what the best method was of taking very little.
I know you can get half a container, but what if you just wanted to take, telly video some hand & power tools & a few photo's video's & some toy's.
Starting to build a few lists, anyone want to buy a 3 bed furnished house in Swindon with free car. Yes i will try the marketplace.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

scallywag is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi David

We have just got a 457ie visa and will be heading to Perth beginning of Nov i think, we too are not taking much, I found out a few prices its seems to work out about £500 for 10 boxes, the boxes can be fairly big but must be liftable by 1 person.

What part of Australia you going to.

Phil
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future
Default Re: Not taking much Containers How big?

Originally posted by DavidT
Hopefully off to Oz, any year now. Was wondering what the best method was of taking very little.
I know you can get half a container, but what if you just wanted to take, telly video some hand & power tools & a few photo's video's & some toy's.
Starting to build a few lists, anyone want to buy a 3 bed furnished house in Swindon with free car. Yes i will try the marketplace.

You can share a container, there is not really a minimum ammount. We are not taking much about 250 cu ft which is quarter of a container
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:16 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Greatful for the replies. I am going to start in Brisbane area on a 457ie if it ever arrives.
How much for a quarter container John?
Keep em coming guys please.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Greatful for the replies. I am going to start in Brisbane area on a 457ie if it ever arrives.
I am sending 3 tea chest sized cartons (up to 40 kilos in each) and one book box (up to 20 kilos in weight) by sea with Seven Seas and it is costing 210 quid. That includes them dropping off the boxes then picking them up when packed and delivering them to my address in Adelaide. Takes up to nine weeks to arrive. I am not taking any big stuff. I did a bit of research and this compnay was most reasonable.

Good luck

Elaine
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

£1000.00 :scared: :scared: That is with excess baggage international and around £5 per kg excess baggage :scared: :scared:

These were the most resonable.

Get some compaines round to give you a quote, you cant start to soon! The better ones will advise whether you need to buy container space or put stuff in chests. They quote you a price based on cu ft but you are charged for what the actuall cu ft value is when they put it in the container, so beware of companies that give cu ft quotes way lower than the rest 'cause you could be in with a shock when you get the bill!! Work out what their £/ cu ft rate is and choose from that.

Do a search of the site for this topic, you will find the names of all the shipping companies, most are on the web or are in the TNT magazine.

All the best
Pete
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 4:16 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I bought over 14 boxes and the cost was about 500 pounds. I used Atlantic Internations movers based in Leicestershire. Trouble is, when you share a container they have to wait to ship it until the container is full. My boxes left my house in the UK at the beginning of february and arrived in Perth 4 1/2 months later!!!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 4:21 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

Thanks again guys, based on what grublice said, £1K doesn't seem too bad in comparison for 1/4 container.
Although it is still a difficult decision on what or not to take, when you look at the economics it's still too close to call at this stage.
Again anyone want my bloomin house in swinetown.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

Mr mover said to go here

http://www.excess-baggage.com
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

The Jacksons is an unknown quantity at this point

Our quote war £1700 for ~400 cu feet - other similar quotes from other companies.
All very professional.

sarah
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:44 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

Originally posted by The Jacksons
Our quote war £1700 for ~400 cu feet - other similar quotes from other companies.
All very professional.

sarah
Hard too envisage what you can take in 400 cu feet, was that everything or mainly personal stuff.
My list does not include any furniture whatsoever, but mainly kids toys, tools, bikes, books & the smaller kitchen, lounge type electricals.
Never thought i would have a problem with size, but as you get older!