Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not employed - tax on bank accounts ?

Not employed - tax on bank accounts ?

Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:15 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not employed - tax on bank accounts ?

I'm not employed here in Australia but I notice that my bank account is debited by a few dollars every now and again and there's a TFN (tax file number) reference next to it.

I know it's a small amount however should I be paying tax on my savings account if I'm not employed?

Thank you
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not employed - tax on bank accounts ?

Originally Posted by No 15
I'm not employed here in Australia but I notice that my bank account is debited by a few dollars every now and again and there's a TFN (tax file number) reference next to it.

I know it's a small amount however should I be paying tax on my savings account if I'm not employed?
If the Australian bank takes tax off your interest, then that is because you did not give them your tax file number (called TFN withholding). Give them your tax file number - and they will stop taking tax off you. Just phone them.

As for whether you need to pay tax on your bank interest, that's another question. If your worldwide income (assuming you are PR) is under $6,000, then you do not need to pay tax on it. To get back any tax that you have paid (e.g. the bank took it) complete a tax return at the end of the tax year - and you will get it all back.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:33 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. What is the tax year here?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No 15
Thanks. What is the tax year here?
1 July to 30 June. In other words, you can do your 2010 tax return any time from 1 July 2010.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:45 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add that you can actually earn up to about $14k* before you start paying tax because of something called LITO.

* I'm sure ozhappy can give the exact number.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Just to add that you can actually earn up to about $14k* before you start paying tax because of something called LITO.

* I'm sure ozhappy can give the exact number.
Yep. Assuming you are a PR resident and have been in the country for the whole of the 2010 tax year, you can have a taxable income of $15,000 before you pay any tax.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Ramzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Yep. Assuming you are a PR resident and have been in the country for the whole of the 2010 tax year, you can have a taxable income of $15,000 before you pay any tax.
Hi,

is this LITO aailable only for PR holders?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ramzi
is this LITO aailable only for PR holders?
No, it is available to all who are tax-resident .

In other words, if you are here on a 457 visa, you will get LITO (457 holders generally get taxed at resident rates - temporary resident).

If you are a backpacker, here on a WHV, travelling around the country and working a bit here and there, you will be non-resident, which also means no LITO.