Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Superannuation investment option question

Superannuation investment option question

Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Default Superannuation investment option question

I got my superannuation form to fill up and send it off. I recently moved in to Australia and this super thing was quite vague to me. I didn't really care about it until I started reading about it and I am taking this thing seriously now.

I am 28 and in a dilemma on which investment option to choose. I still have about 32 years before I reach the preservation age of 60.

I am stuck between choosing Option 1 (85% in shares or property, 15% in fixed interest and cash) and Option 2 (70% in shares or property, 30% in fixed interest and cash). Taking into consideration my age, I guess Option 1 is better. Is it?

Another question, I think it is a better idea to make personal after tax contributions to my super rather than keeping the money lying around in my bank account. What do you think?

(Bear with me for the naive questions, just asking about your opinions)
Old Mar 8th 2010, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Superannuation investment option question

So, nobody really cares what is actually done with the 9% compulsory fraction taken off the salary to be put into super fund?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 3:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is set up a selfmanaged super fund, put 70% into an industry super fund and 30% into a high interest cash account. (But only if you have a substantial initial investment to make)
Old Mar 8th 2010, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wol
All I can say is set up a selfmanaged super fund, put 70% into an industry super fund and 30% into a high interest cash account. (But only if you have a substantial initial investment to make)
Thanks but I guess substantial means 100k or more which I don't have at the moment
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:23 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
Thanks but I guess substantial means 100k or more which I don't have at the moment
Yes, a SMSF takes too great a proportion to manage with a relatively small capital.

But put into super what you can - the longer it's in the better!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I got my superannuation form to fill up and send it off. I recently moved in to Australia and this super thing was quite vague to me. I didn't really care about it until I started reading about it and I am taking this thing seriously now.

I am 28 and in a dilemma on which investment option to choose. I still have about 32 years before I reach the preservation age of 60.

I am stuck between choosing Option 1 (85% in shares or property, 15% in fixed interest and cash) and Option 2 (70% in shares or property, 30% in fixed interest and cash). Taking into consideration my age, I guess Option 1 is better. Is it?

Another question, I think it is a better idea to make personal after tax contributions to my super rather than keeping the money lying around in my bank account. What do you think?

(Bear with me for the naive questions, just asking about your opinions)
I would go the aggressive option at your age. I would also choose an industry fund rather than a master trust.

This article has some good tips: http://www.smartcompany.com.au/finan...per-funds.html

With regards to the after tax contributions I guess it depends whether you might have other needs for that money before you retire. It certainly reduces the temptation to spend it
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fish.01
I would go the aggressive option at your age. I would also choose an industry fund rather than a master trust.

This article has some good tips: http://www.smartcompany.com.au/finan...per-funds.html

With regards to the after tax contributions I guess it depends whether you might have other needs for that money before you retire. It certainly reduces the temptation to spend it
I have chosen the aggressive option. Right now, I am sticking with the super fund which the employer chose (AMP Superleader) as I can't make the option of choosing my own.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:00 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

If you an afford to lock away the money it may not be a bad idea. The kicker is ideally you want to do it BEFORE tax. It all depends on your income though.

If you are on $80K p.a. your tax rate is 30%. The maximum you can out into super is $25K
If co puts in 9% thats $7.2K so you can put in up to $18K in round numbers. You can do this before tax and all it will attract is 15% deposit tax (all super investments attract this flat rate).

Lets say you sacrifice $1K per month before tax, $850 will hit you super - you money. If you put it in after tax, $850 of credit you'll have to earn more - $214 more. No brainer in that respect.

If you are unsure get professional advice. With co schemes it usualuy free for questions like yours. Oh and at age 28 I'd go Option 1