Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

not another suburb post I hear you cry (brisbane)

not another suburb post I hear you cry (brisbane)

Old Aug 18th 2005, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not another suburb post I hear you cry (brisbane)

Originally Posted by kango_jack
Would recommend Bulimba - although we have never lived there we do have an investment property so we know the area quite well. Lively cafe scene and has a city cat terminal - fantastic for the city.
Annie

Ditto what Kango-jack has said. We have just bought a house in Balmoral (next to Bulimba). Its got a really nice cafe, restaurant precinct at Oxford Street. Its a 20 minute city cat ride into the city or a bus ride into Chinatown area. Its got some major shopping areas within a 10-15 minute drive but every other convenience within short walking distance. Easy access to main motorways. Quiet, leafy, no through traffic where we are. Close to the airport but not on the flight path. We've chosen it because we've got everything on our doorstep but its not too busy. We don't have kids but I've been told the schools here are very good too.
If you like a relaxed lifestyle, eating out, cinemas, being close to everything without feeling claustrophobic, then this would be a good place for you to check out. Oh and hubby likes the idea that there is a Queensland Dive centre at the end of Oxford street and there is a bowls club close by so that we can get rid of the mother-in-law when she arrives!

This is what http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/bulimba/home/
has to say :

Bulimba : Home

Welcome to Bulimba online, your guide to local restaurants, schools, shopping, libraries, maps, and much more.

What I like about Bulimba
Bulimba has funky lounge style coffee shops, modern cinemas, Sunday afternoon entertainment at Oxford 152, and a laid back cosmopolitan atmosphere. A short stroll down Oxford Street brings you to Oxford Park, CityCat services, and the popular local shopping centre. What else could you want!

I thought that summed it up quite well.

And the REIQ profile for Balmoral http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/su...balmoral/reiq/

Balmoral : REIQ Profile for Balmoral

The Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ) is the State?s peak real estate industry professional association.

Features: Proximity to Brisbane City, boat access to Brisbane River via Colmslie Reserve

Median Price: REIQ research shows that the median house price in the suburb for the financial year 2002/03 was $445,000.

Median Weekly Rent: The median weekly rent paid for a 3-bedroom house in this area in the June 2003 quarter was $275. The median weekly rent paid for a 2-bedroom unit in this area was $210 for the same period.

Commentary: The small East Brisbane suburb of Balmoral, only 4km from Brisbane's CBD, is another area that has benefited from growing consumer interest in living close to the city. The suburb has a lively café and local cinema precinct.

For a suburb so close to the City, Balmoral offers several parks and is within five minutes of Colmslie Reserve and corners onto Hawthorne Park. For water lovers, Colmslie Reserve also provides boat access to the Brisbane River.

Balmoral has benefited from consumer demand for affordable, quality housing close to the city. Cannon Hill Shopping Plaza complements local stores in the suburb.

Although Balmoral doesn't have its own rail station (the closest are Cannon Hill and Morningside), regular bus services as well as the CityCat ferry services, ensure residents can access the City and other major centres easily. Residents are also close enough to the Gateway Motorway and the Southeast Freeway to make weekend trips to the Gold and Sunshine Coasts trouble-free.

Schools in and around Balmoral are Bulimba Primary School, Lourdes Hill College, Balmoral High School, and Cannon Hill Anglican College. University students are also within 15 minutes of the Griffith University Campus at Morningside and a short ferry or bus ride from the QUT Gardens Point campus.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) 2001 Census shows that this suburb is home to 3,314 residents who have a median age of 35. The median individual income was between $500 and $599 per week. Of all occupied private dwellings 63% were either fully owned or being purchased; 33% were being rented.

The stats are a bit old now, and I can't help you with rental prices but there are quite a few estate agents down Oxford Street, so with some internet research access you should easily be able to get some guidelines for rental prices.

Any way - Good luck in your suburb search and let us know if you ever get to Balmoral / Bulimba, and we'll gladly share a coffee/beer with you We're there from September 9th 2005

Netta.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:09 am
HEL
EEN

HEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just noticed your post re: suburbs. We moved here 2 weeks ago and wanted similar things to yourselves so thought you may be interested in our experiences so far.

Brisbane rentals seem to be in massive demand and it was v hard to find something available straight away.We spoke to numerous estate agents who stated properties in desirable areas go within hours of going on the market. On viewings, there were other couples also looking and you then have to submit an aplication if interested.We loved the areas of Hawthorne and Bulimba and move into a 3 bed property in Hawthorne on saturday - cant wait as we,ve been living out of a suitcase for 5 wks (we were the couple who went via Bali - bombings 2 days after our arrival, im also from Derby). We are paying $320 wk for a 3 bed house with large private yard close to the city cat and train line. Oxford st with its cafes is 3km away but you can go by jet cat from Hawthorne to Bulimba. It just had a really nice feel. We have been living in the Westend since our arrival, which is also close to the CBD but doesnt seem as upmarket. If you want to know anything else, please get in touch.

Helen & David
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Ozceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the roughOzceltic is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
dont for one minute think that Australia, is some third world continent, surrounded by blue seas white sands, and inhabited by ute drivin abos.
Sorry, I know this is an old thread but it is new to me and this line just creased me up, this guy is a real comedian eh?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HEL
Hi,

Just noticed your post re: suburbs. We moved here 2 weeks ago and wanted similar things to yourselves so thought you may be interested in our experiences so far.

Brisbane rentals seem to be in massive demand and it was v hard to find something available straight away.We spoke to numerous estate agents who stated properties in desirable areas go within hours of going on the market. On viewings, there were other couples also looking and you then have to submit an aplication if interested.We loved the areas of Hawthorne and Bulimba and move into a 3 bed property in Hawthorne on saturday - cant wait as we,ve been living out of a suitcase for 5 wks (we were the couple who went via Bali - bombings 2 days after our arrival, im also from Derby). We are paying $320 wk for a 3 bed house with large private yard close to the city cat and train line. Oxford st with its cafes is 3km away but you can go by jet cat from Hawthorne to Bulimba. It just had a really nice feel. We have been living in the Westend since our arrival, which is also close to the CBD but doesnt seem as upmarket. If you want to know anything else, please get in touch.

Helen & David
Hi

Sounds like youve been through some stress, hope it all goes much better from now on!

Thanks very much for this really helpful. I had heard getting a rental is quite stressful. We are renting a place in Wishart for 4 weeks while trying to find a rental.

What did you need to provide to apply for a place?

Thanks so much

Laura
Old Oct 9th 2006, 5:41 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lawlaw
thanks all for your messages, give me ideas on where to start when we get to brisbane.
It’s funny where people end up.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 5:51 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi

Sounds like youve been through some stress, hope it all goes much better from now on!

Thanks very much for this really helpful. I had heard getting a rental is quite stressful. We are renting a place in Wishart for 4 weeks while trying to find a rental.

What did you need to provide to apply for a place?

Thanks so much

Laura
Where do people dig these old threads up from. For a minute i thought u were moving to brisbane - then i noticed the date !!
didn't you like it then ?
lj