New tv???? hmmm

Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default New tv???? hmmm

we were debating on which type of new tv to buy and it raised the question...

is it worth us buying one of the tv;s which are to become obsolete in the UK in a few years time to take with us??? ie get a cheap one as opposed to one of the new all singing and dancing tv's??

just wondering if its worth baggin a bargain to take to oz with us???

Not sure if oz have the same plans to turn everything digital in a similar timescale???
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:59 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New tv???? hmmm

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
timescale???
Hi

Same dilemma here, ended up paying 140-00 to repair "old" telly recently.
Will hang on and buy in OZ if get there.
Think it's all down to PAL settings, different in OZ.

Dave
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

we were debating on which type of new tv to buy and it raised the question...

is it worth us buying one of the tv;s which are to become obsolete in the UK in a few years time to take with us??? ie get a cheap one as opposed to one of the new all singing and dancing tv's??

just wondering if its worth baggin a bargain to take to oz with us???

Not sure if oz have the same plans to turn everything digital in a similar timescale???
I think we were due to go all digital in 2010 but it has been put back due to lack of take up.Saw a TEAC 106cm (42 inch) plasma widescreen in K-mart yesterday for $1669,call it 670 quid.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
I think we were due to go all digital in 2010 but it has been put back due to lack of take up.Saw a TEAC 106cm (42 inch) plasma widescreen in K-mart yesterday for $1669,call it 670 quid.
erm...think we will hang fire then.... sounds good to me. Cheers

what do you reck dave????
Old Oct 8th 2006, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

erm...think we will hang fire then.... sounds good to me. Cheers

what do you reck dave????
Hang fire yes Cath...

Dave
Old Oct 8th 2006, 6:28 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'd say hang fire if you can. We had to get a new TV a while ago as the old one packed up (although Nic still reckons I sabotaged it LOL ). TV's bought over here WILL work in Oz, modern ones certainly will - some older ones will work but you may get no sounds (due to the PAL settings as mentioned). Easily fixed by getting a digi box.

Happy shopping!!

Graham
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northerner
Yeah, I'd say hang fire if you can. We had to get a new TV a while ago as the old one packed up (although Nic still reckons I sabotaged it LOL ). TV's bought over here WILL work in Oz, modern ones certainly will - some older ones will work but you may get no sounds (due to the PAL settings as mentioned). Easily fixed by getting a digi box.

Happy shopping!!

Graham
Is it all men that sabotage tv's then??? lol

and like the sound of the plasma listed above!!!!!

cheers folks.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Koala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant future

Hi Guys

We brought our old tv with us - a Philips widescreen big tube thingy that was top of the range in 2000. It's perfect in all ways and even received sound after resetting some of the menu options. We decided to bring it because it held sentimental value (I know, I know... but it was our new year, new millennium anniversary present to each other) and it is also a good looking tv and stand - glass, aluminium, silver blue, etc.

These days today's technology is a bargain in a year or two. Just look at the price of DVD recorders and how they have fallen in price. What has happened in the UK has happened here too.

Having gone through the process I would definitely bring your old tv if it's brand new OR was a couple of years back AND was top of the range OR has sentimental value (yeah, right) otherwise don't and start again with an Aussie tv.

Just my thoughts, having gone through the process.

Paul
2 years now on the Sunshine Coast of Queensland.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northerner

Happy shopping!!

Graham
We have not long bought a 42" panasonic plasma for $1998, about £800. Things are as good value here as the uk I believe.
Also bought a HD ready 32" LCD, soniq, for $1299, about £540, result
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:22 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
We have not long bought a 42" panasonic plasma for $1998, about £800. Things are as good value here as the uk I believe.
We just bought a 43" Pani as well HD ready $1998 from JB HI-FI
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The S's
These are superb prices..I told OH about the post further up which said how cheap they were, he has agreed to stop moaning about this one being on its last legs and to persevere with it. Its just an older tv we have thats all and the colour goes a tiny bit red everynow and again thats all.

We will cob it and buy new over there (when we eventually move that is). Cheers everyone.