NOR or SOR

Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Soapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to allSoapsudsue is a name known to all
Default NOR or SOR

Help!

I am trying to find us a rental to live in but no idea where to start! We have a short term let in Duncraig, but have no idea what pros and cons NOR and SOR have. The rentals seem to be cheaper in SOR, but is there a reason for this like a huge factory or something, I have heard there is a concrete plant, does that casue problems?

Any views on SOR and NOR would be greatly appreciated, especially areas to avoid!

Many thanks
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOR or SOR

Originally Posted by Soapsudsue
Help!

I am trying to find us a rental to live in but no idea where to start! We have a short term let in Duncraig, but have no idea what pros and cons NOR and SOR have. The rentals seem to be cheaper in SOR, but is there a reason for this like a huge factory or something, I have heard there is a concrete plant, does that casue problems?

Any views on SOR and NOR would be greatly appreciated, especially areas to avoid!

Many thanks
EOR
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:18 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

SOR is cheaper historically. Thats about it. Its more featureless - but some swear by it. If you have no preference and there is no reason to be NOR then consider SOR. Just spend some time driving about and getting a feel.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:27 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

NOR

and if you travel 30 mins out of suburbia you can have a beautiful semi-rural acreage block lifestyle. Sovereign Hill in Gabbadah is lovely or Guilderton.

Its a perfect time to give it a go while you are renting to see if you like the way of life away from the hassles of suburban hell
Old Oct 7th 2011, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Kwinana, the Cockburn Cement Plant and Alcoa would be enough to put me off SOR.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Kwinana, the Cockburn Cement Plant and Alcoa would be enough to put me off SOR.
SOR but think about where you'll be working too. The commute from north or south can be hell if you're too far away. Rent for at least 6 months, then decide. Remember you only qualify for the first home owners grant and free stamp duty once!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:37 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Help!

Many thanks
My advice would be to check the house prices of the area "if" you intend to buy?
Do you have kids? If yes.... they will probably go to the local school and you will be reluctant to move them once they have got friendships and settled in. The schools in Duncraig are very good. Duncraig Senior High is an independent public school and get good results.
With recent closure of a local school, it has meant the school is very difficult to get in unless your are on an academic programme (gifted and talented) you will need to live in the catchment area.

__________________________________________________ _

Duncraig Senior High School is situated in the western suburbs on the coastal strip some 18 kms from Perth and 2 kms from the Indian Ocean. It is a vibrant secondary school catering for over 1000 students from Duncraig and surrounding areas. Being one of the first 34 Independent Public Schools and although still a state school, it has greater autonomy and flexibility in managing its education program. The school is sought after amongst teachers and consequently, there is an experienced and highly committed teaching body at Duncraig SHS. Pastoral care is an ongoing priority as demonstrated in the school vision: CARE-ENGAGE-EXCEL. With a comparatively large upper school population, the school is able to offer a wide variety of courses for senior students. A Selective Academic Program provides a stimulating, challenging and enriched environment for specially chosen students. This is supported by a School Based Academic Program that caters for students achieving at a high level. Over the years, Duncraig SHS has developed a strong reputation as a school with highly academic students. The school also houses a Triathlon Academy, a strong music program and a large Bushranger Cadet Unit.
http://www.myschool.edu.au
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/schoolsonli...&schoolID=4129
__________________________________________________ ________

So the rental ends, kids are settled in school and you need to buy a house. Duncraig is close to the beach + good schools = higher house prices.... can you afford to buy in Duncraig?
Once the kids are into a school, you can move out of the area, but all around the area is still fairly expensive (for something nice that doesn't completely renovating)
Do your research
www.reiwa.com
www.realestate.com.au

We lived in Marmion when we arrived (next to Duncraig and even closer to the beach = even higher house prices. The average house price is creeping towards $1,000,000

Duncraig profile - Average house sold $625,000 http://www.domain.com.au/Public/subu...hterm=duncraig

Average price Marmion $800,000 http://apm.domain.com.au/Research/?A...&SuburbId=8518

Good luck!
Neil.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Once the kids are into a school, you can move out of the area
This might work at some schools, but not at others. I know of one school where families who lived outside the catchment were asked to leave when new housing was built inside the catchment.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Help!

Many thanks
I've lost count of the number of times we have driven south and north of the river looking for land to build on as my husband insists on building again.

Even been as far as The Rocks, Yanchep, Alkimos and The Vines but decided they were too far out and Yanchep doesn't have a train station yet. Land at Alkimos is ridiculously overpriced.

We can't afford to land or a property in the areas we like NOR - such as Burns Beach, Mindarie, Ocean Reef, Mullaloo, Innaloo, Iluka, Hillarys, or Jindalee.

Love places like Subiaco, Coogee and East Perth but way out of our budget, which is a meagre $450,000-$500,000.

Our favourite place if we could afford it would be Fremantle. Fantastic place.

Quite frankly places within our budget NOR- such as Butler, Ellenbrook, Tapping and Carramar left us underwhelmed. Decided we prefer SOR if we are going to be living 40-45km out of the city.

SOR we looked as far as Mandurah, Halls Head and Madora Bay but decided too far out. Secret Harbour is lovely but expensive.

Currently renting a brand new house in Tuart Ridge, Baldivis and are now thinking of buying in Baldivis as well as land is more affordable and plentiful. You get far more for your money here than NOR.

The train station at Warnbro is only 5 minutes away and it takes 40 minutes to get to Perth, Rockingham is 15 minutes away, Mandurah about 30 minutes.

Rocky has a good shopping centre and the bigger Cockburn Central shopping centre is only 20 minutes down the freeway.

Took my son to the beach at Rockingham today - gorgeous weather - and had a wonderful time. Walked along the sea front eating ice cream and bought bacon-flavoured Walkers crisps from the English lolly shop.

The other big plus of living SOR is that it takes less time to drive to great places like Busselton, Dunsborough, Yallingup and of course the Margaret River.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Help!

Many thanks
Hi Soapsudsue

Hope all going well. Have sent you an email

Lois1