Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Non Residents Landlord Scheme

Non Residents Landlord Scheme

Old May 4th 2011, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Non Residents Landlord Scheme

Another quick question for all you experienced people out there!

We applied to the NRLS scheme a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything back as of yet.

Does it normally take them a while to get back to you? I see the tax has been deducted from our tenants first months rent and am wondering if we can claim this money back at some point?
Old May 4th 2011, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Residents Landlord Scheme

I never heard anything back, but tax was never deducted from my rental income. Have you spoken to the estate agent?

If you have overpaid tax then you will get it back. Hard to say whether you are entitled to it back depends when it was deducted, when you became non resident, what other UK income you had etc.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Borussia_Teeth has a spectacular aura aboutBorussia_Teeth has a spectacular aura aboutBorussia_Teeth has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by scotsista
Another quick question for all you experienced people out there!

We applied to the NRLS scheme a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything back as of yet.

Does it normally take them a while to get back to you? I see the tax has been deducted from our tenants first months rent and am wondering if we can claim this money back at some point?
I think you'll need to complete a UK tax return for your UK assessable income to get a refund (although I am not sure how you would be entitled to a refund as you would get relief in Australia when your worldwide income is taxed to avoid double taxation).
Old May 5th 2011, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

oldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really nice

It may be worth giving them a ring. They lost my wifes application and not mine, even though they were in the same envelope!! They are however pretty efficient when you speak to them.