Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No wonder people are in a mess

No wonder people are in a mess

Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default No wonder people are in a mess

We just applied for a new mortgage, $146K, we already have a mortgage of $85K and it doesnt take a genius to see that we are borrowing up to our limit.

Today recieve a letter from the bank - we've been pre-approved to borrow up to another $50K?!

We are intelligent enough to realise that to borrow any more would be crazy as there is no way we can afford to pay it back, but what if our circumstances were different and we really needed this extra cash and decided just to borrow it.

In the past I've honestly thought that people who borrow too much dont deserve much sympathy BUT getting a letter like this I can really see how tempting it must be to some people.

Shame on the banks for behaviour like this
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No wonder people are in a mess

Originally Posted by bridie
We just applied for a new mortgage, $146K, we already have a mortgage of $85K and it doesnt take a genius to see that we are borrowing up to our limit.

Today recieve a letter from the bank - we've been pre-approved to borrow up to another $50K?!

We are intelligent enough to realise that to borrow any more would be crazy as there is no way we can afford to pay it back, but what if our circumstances were different and we really needed this extra cash and decided just to borrow it.

In the past I've honestly thought that people who borrow too much dont deserve much sympathy BUT getting a letter like this I can really see how tempting it must be to some people.

I'm amazed by this. I assumed that in the era of the credit crunch, these offers were well and truly over.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:34 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I'm amazed by this. I assumed that in the era of the credit crunch, these offers were well and truly over.
We were gently encouraged towards a house purchase towards the upper, upper, upper end of our budget just in December 2007.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:53 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: No wonder people are in a mess

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
The credit crunch hasn't hit Australia (yet). So the banks are trying to make hay while the sun shines.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:59 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

lol.,..don't take it personally...its just business!!!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:11 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

It's not really the banks' fault. It is between you and the bank to decide what to offer and what to take out. Presumably you have no complaint with shops offering for sale things that some people can't afford to buy?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The credit crunch hasn't hit Australia (yet). So the banks are trying to make hay while the sun shines.
I think it has. We had to provide a lot more info for our last investment property.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

This just reminded me...........

When I was at Uni I got a 'bit' overdrawn, but the bank kept extending my limit in spite of me having no income (apart from a cleaning job). During an audit they pulled out ten accounts at random. Mine was one of those

Cue being hauled into the bank by the Manager and having my cards taken away (and given a nasty talking to). I was really upset and told my parents about it. My dad stormed into the branch and told said Manager 'you are the one about to take the rap for this, for being bloody stupid enough to lend it to her'. Go Dad

I love how parents defend their kids, when I was obviously in the wrong
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:24 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: No wonder people are in a mess

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I think it has. We had to provide a lot more info for our last investment property.
That's a common procedure. I found the same thing when I bought my second investment property in April 2007, long before the credit crunch even existed.

If the credit crunch had hit Australia, we'd know all about it by now - and it would bring a lot more hassle than just a few extra forms at the bank.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
It's not really the banks' fault. It is between you and the bank to decide what to offer and what to take out. Presumably you have no complaint with shops offering for sale things that some people can't afford to buy?
I'm not saying it's a problem for me personally, but I can see how tempting it might be to someone who is struggling and doesnt think of the consequences of having to pay it back.

The difference with a shop is you choose whether to walk in a shop or not... this is a letter delivered to our door, in the bank's envelope so obviously we would open and read it.

I was just amazed that's all... esp when it would be obvious to someone with the brain a size of an amoeba that there is no way we could afford to borrow that much - and they have all our info as we had to give it to them to get this new mortgage.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddyo
lol.,..don't take it personally...its just business!!!
really?
wow you learn something new everyday.......
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:05 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: No wonder people are in a mess

I'm not saying it's a problem for me personally, but I can see how tempting it might be to someone who is struggling and doesnt think of the consequences of having to pay it back.

The difference with a shop is you choose whether to walk in a shop or not... this is a letter delivered to our door, in the bank's envelope so obviously we would open and read it.

I was just amazed that's all... esp when it would be obvious to someone with the brain a size of an amoeba that there is no way we could afford to borrow that much - and they have all our info as we had to give it to them to get this new mortgage.
All they're interested in is your ability to pay the mortgage, and the viability of your home as security. Assuming that your mortgage isn't sub-prime, they're sitting pretty.

If you continue to pay without problems - they win. If you fail and they have to take your house off you - they win.

It's a great business to be in.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

oh yes
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:54 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

All they're interested in is your ability to pay the mortgage, and the viability of your home as security. Assuming that your mortgage isn't sub-prime, they're sitting pretty.

If you continue to pay without problems - they win. If you fail and they have to take your house off you - they win.

Don't you just love the way they've appropriated the word "Sub-prime" to describe what are effectively JUNK mortgages?

So those old Junk bonds were really "SubPrime" bonds <g>.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:21 am
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: No wonder people are in a mess

Originally Posted by Wol
Don't you just love the way they've appropriated the word "Sub-prime" to describe what are effectively JUNK mortgages?

So those old Junk bonds were really "SubPrime" bonds <g>.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it?

My mortgage is "premium rate"
Your mortgage is "sub-prime"
His junk mortgage has just caused a run on the pound