Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pronunciation and UK vs. Aus Grammar

Pronunciation and UK vs. Aus Grammar

Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:56 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all
Question Pronunciation and UK vs. Aus Grammar

I’m a bit embarrassed to ask this, but I’m going to anyway, because asking now might save some embarrassment when we get there.

Firstly, I’m ashamed of my spelling and reading ability as it is in the UK already. It can’t be that bad as I’m a teacher and had to pass an English test before I could teach, and luckily I teach ICT, so have a PC at hand all the time to check spellings etc. But I’ve always been a weak reader.

I’ve visited Australia 4 times since 2001 and have seen quite a bit of the East cost. We hope to move for good this August.

I’m a bit worried about the pronunciation of Australian names etc, and when reading some, on here for example, I have no idea how to say them.

We’re having a house built, and I knew I had to ask something when I realised I’m not even sure how to pronounce my own address!

Is this just my English Grammar letting me down, or are there any ‘new rules’ I need to learn to get Aussie names right?

How have others got on? Has anyone else been saying anything incorrectly and had to be corrected by a local? Any stories to share? All tips/pointers gladly received.

Oh, and our address: It’s Bohle Plains. I’m currently pronouncing it “bowl-e”, is that right?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pronunciation and UK vs. Aus Grammar

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate

I’m a bit embarrassed to ask this, but I’m going to anyway, because asking now might save some embarrassment when we get there.

Firstly, I’m ashamed of my spelling and reading ability as it is in the UK already. It can’t be that bad as I’m a teacher and had to pass an English test before I could teach, and luckily I teach ICT, so have a PC at hand all the time to check spellings etc. But I’ve always been a weak reader.

I’ve visited Australia 4 times since 2001 and have seen quite a bit of the East cost. We hope to move for good this August.

I’m a bit worried about the pronunciation of Australian names etc, and when reading some, on here for example, I have no idea how to say them.

We’re having a house built, and I knew I had to ask something when I realised I’m not even sure how to pronounce my own address!

Is this just my English Grammar letting me down, or are there any ‘new rules’ I need to learn to get Aussie names right?

How have others got on? Has anyone else been saying anything incorrectly and had to be corrected by a local? Any stories to share? All tips/pointers gladly received.

Oh, and our address: It’s Bohle Plains. I’m currently pronouncing it “bowl-e”, is that right?
I wouldnt worry about it - even if you get to a place you can bet that some of the population will call it one thing and some will call it something else! We have a suburb here called Manuka - some people call it Man-oo-ka and others (myself included) call it Marnaka.

As for your address, I would be calling it Bowl but dont worry - just go along with what everyone else calls it when you get here - in the mean time just write it down and nod knowledgeably when someone gives their impression!

Just be grateful you dont live in Korweinguboora (that's coo-winj-ee-boo-ra)
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Pronunciation and UK vs. Aus Grammar

Pronunciation in Australia does have some minor regional variations, but our grammar is identical to yours.

I wouldn't worry about either of them; you'll be fine.

Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:48 pm

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

They're always making fun of me at work because I refuse to speak in their psuedo posh ways.

They say "daaaahta", I say "dayter"(data), they say "pahhhhhhhhhster", i say "pass-ta"(pasta). The one I hate the most is "lahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtay" for "latte". It's how I imagine the Queen would say it.

Last edited by oliver1982; Apr 25th 2008 at 11:51 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 2:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about how you pronounce things here. There are so many different accents floating around Australia that I'm sure they've heard it all.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 2:24 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

As said, the grammar is the same. There are some minor pronunciation differences but like all Englishes there's no consistency. You might also find differences from state to state as well.

Down here people say route the same as Brits but in other parts of aus this seems to cause merriment.

In the fire brigade lieutenants are called "lewies" or "lewtenants" but seem to be "left-tenants" when it comes to election time.

Moe rhymes with Joey rather than Joe.

Wagga wagga seems to be Wogga wogga (or just wogga for short).

Generally I find that people don't bat an eyelid if you pronounce things different to them.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 2:49 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

It's sometimes easy to spot noobs around these parts especially with one suburb called Capalaba...

it sounds easy,but its where you put the pause that matters...

Say Capa laba and folks will pee themselves....

Indooroopilly is another one...

Last edited by >Trigger<; Apr 26th 2008 at 2:54 am.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 3:08 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you're pronouncing it correctly
Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

I find if you don't open your mouth too much and try to say the whole name in one syllable you can't go far wrong.

Seriously, don't worry' 'they' love laughing at you
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:34 am
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Cheers for the input folks - all good!

What about people's names? Anyone struggled with any differences there?

It's bad enough now in the UK when I attempt a register for the first time at school and get names wrong, much to the embarressment of 1 and enjoyment of many....
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:45 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine that the mispronounciation of names and subsequent laughter would be a good conversation opener
Old Apr 26th 2008, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

Yeah wouldn't worry about it - most Aussies don't know how to pronounce strange names from other states - like Murwillumbah or my favourite Maribyrnong. Just don't call Melbourne Mel-born.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver1982
They're always making fun of me at work because I refuse to speak in their psuedo posh ways.

They say "daaaahta", I say "dayter"(data), they say "pahhhhhhhhhster", i say "pass-ta"(pasta). The one I hate the most is "lahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtay" for "latte". It's how I imagine the Queen would say it.
I know where you're coming from with this one. I have been setting up some access databases at work and this results in lots of conversations with the word data and database in it - they say daaahta - i say dayter and I cannot bring myself to change it. I just keep singing in my head, "You say toh-mah-toh, i say toh-may-toh, you say poh-tah-to, I say poh-tay-toh. ...

Julia
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:03 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

There are lot of unusual place names in OZ. It took me a long time to remember how to pronounce Mooloolaba, for example (M LOO LABAR).

Firstly, you will after a while be able to pronounce most words simply from familiarity.

Secondly, Aussies ae very good at shortening words.

A suburb near me is called INDOOROOPILLY which is properly pronounced as IN - DOO - ROO- PILLY, or usefully can be shortened to IN'DR'PILLY.

Most Aussies, however, go the whole hog and just call it INDRO; you will catch on.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:14 am
Chelle66

Chelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jayr
There are lot of unusual place names in OZ. It took me a long time to remember how to pronounce Mooloolaba, for example (M LOO LABAR).

Firstly, you will after a while be able to pronounce most words simply from familiarity.

Secondly, Aussies ae very good at shortening words.

A suburb near me is called INDOOROOPILLY which is properly pronounced as IN - DOO - ROO- PILLY, or usefully can be shortened to IN'DR'PILLY.

Most Aussies, however, go the whole hog and just call it INDRO; you will catch on.
Just as Fremantle is Freo and Rockingham is Rocko, and although Aussies say Rocking ham, we say Rockinam. Also, when we were in the UK and telling people where we were heading, we used to say Man due ra, only to find, when we got here that it's Mandra (Mandurah).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.