Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NO-NO's for the container

NO-NO's for the container

Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default NO-NO's for the container

The removal company have given us the rules and regulations (a one pager). I need real life experience - did you have any trouble getting anything it that they haven't covered?

so far we have:

no foodstuffs
no animal products
no wicker/banana leaf products
no horseriding equipment (well we can take it but it will be subject to a hefty fumigation fee and delays on the other end)
No plant materials (cones in Xmas decs apparently a huge no-no)
No dirty shoes
No dirty vacuum cleaners
No dirty bicycles or sporting equipment

We have heard that the following cause issues:

Xmas trees (my mate just had to pay to have hers destroyed)

Please can I have all your hints and tips for packing so that we can avoid unneccessary costs and delays on the other end.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Re: NO-NO's for the container

Hiya

Only other things I can think of off-hand is no alcohol in the container for customs and they tell you not put jewellery or perfume/aftershaves in either. Also nothing that is toxic and I just mean things like certain aerosols that you would maybe keep in your garage??? I know the OH had to leave a lot of his car cleaning stuff as the shipping company said it couldnt go in.

Packing, well we didn't pack anything apart from our suitcases that we brought, they shipping company did it all and did it very well I may add, although there were a few things still broken but thats why you have insurance so wasn't a major issue.

Good luck though, I remember how stressful it all is!!!!

Nikki
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't be the christmas tree that was destroyed, well unless it was a real one Christmas decorations made of pine cones and wood etc are a definite no no though. Dried flowers, pot pourri crap, untreated wood, etc etc etc. The full list is on the AQIS site.

People have also come unstuck with silk flowers

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/e...alia/cant-take
http://www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/travel/...ing-emigrating
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It wouldn't be the christmas tree that was destroyed, well unless it was a real one Christmas decorations made of pine cones and wood etc are a definite no no though. Dried flowers, pot pourri crap, untreated wood, etc etc etc. The full list is on the AQIS site.

It was a synthetic Xmas tree - might be that because it was from deepest, darkest Africy that there were problems with it.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dejags
The removal company have given us the rules and regulations (a one pager). I need real life experience - did you have any trouble getting anything it that they haven't covered?

so far we have:

no foodstuffs
There are restrictions, but check out the AQIS webstie - don't bring fruit, veg, meat etc - most foods are fine. If you research most food types on BE you will find the rules for individual foodstuffs.

No dirty vacuum cleaners
No dirty bicycles or sporting equipment
Just make sure they are clean

Xmas trees (my mate just had to pay to have hers destroyed)
Artificial trees are fine, its Xmas decorations that contain pine cones and their seeds which cause the problem - again, well documented on BE.

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
Hiya

Only other things I can think of off-hand is no alcohol in the container for customs
Its fine, just declare it and there may be duty to pay.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

ta for the links
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It was the artificial seeds alongside the flowers
Just goes to show however careful you are you can't be 100% sure of the strange ways of AQIS........
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:21 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Illegal Immigrants is always on the no no list, along with:

Dead Bodies
Animals ( Live )
Bombs and bomb making equipment

Ste
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Dead Bodies
Animals ( Live )

Ste

Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:37 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

anything that containes cfcs so fridges that arent cfc free
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
anything that containes cfcs so fridges that arent cfc free
How I look forward to moving to a country that cares about this type of thing...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:06 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

No medicines -JM wouldn't pack medicines
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:41 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

What's the story with the "no candles" thing.

Is it really NO candles, or just no candles that have leaves and twigs and seeds and pollen in them?

I've just found a box in the loft with LOADS.
PLus all my stuff that my OH hid when I moved in
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:13 pm
East Mids to Vic

Laura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really nice

oh no gutted about the horse riding kit, my DD has just had all new stuff for her birthday, do you reckon I could pack it in my suitcase...actually scrap that, there is obviously a reason why they have the restrictions....I'll just have to buy her new stuff when we get there..
Thanks for the info/warning

Laura
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Dead Bodies
Animals ( Live )

Ste
Laughed at that bit in the Customs declaration form! Yes, I am trying to import bomb making equipment, highly toxic material and a dozen live squirrels!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.