No means No

Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:52 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No means No

Originally Posted by mr mover
I have booked your move for the 5th of september , be ready ............MM
I'm never ever ever moving again (especially not on EldestChild's birthday) so I hope you're not desperate for the work
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

I have to admit to a brief speechless moment when I heard the phrase, too.
Especially when what he actually said was "With Julia, does no mean yes?"- this is almost a verbatim repetition of a 1980s UK high court judge who was trying a rape case and said "sometimes women mean yes when they say no" (someone else must remember that too?)

Shockingly bad choice of words.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dpande
Especially when what he actually said was "With Julia, does no mean yes?"- this is almost a verbatim repetition of a 1980s UK high court judge who was trying a rape case and said "sometimes women mean yes when they say no" (someone else must remember that too?)

Yes, I remember that case. As I have said, I find it hard to believe that he did not realise that his choice of words was crass.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:14 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
Yes, I remember that case. As I have said, I find it hard to believe that he did not realise that his choice of words was crass.
But if that were the case then he'd be purposefully lining himself up to be in the firing line ... which is even harder to believe as he certainly won't get any positive spin from that.

All a load of tosh though. It's a common phrase that we use with our kids and there's absolutely no thought to any other connotations. As others have said, people hear what they want to hear.

It's plain and simple Labour media spin. They're doing a pretty fine job of digging a hole for themselves time and again so its really no wonder that they try and grasp any opportunity they can get.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Total ridiculous.

Julia Gillard said NO to more than ONE debate. Tony Abbot when told that Julia Gillard actually does want another, said
"When she said 'no', I thought she meant 'no'. I believed her. You can't change the rules just because you are in trouble."
"She's surely not trying to say to us that 'no doesn't mean no', because that's what she said, 'no', repeatedly. And when she said 'no' I believed her."
The phrase gets used in many other ways, but Labour find they can twist it to suit themselves. I am beginning to wish I could vote now... I actually feel like supporting..., or should I say, voting against, a certain party.
Attached Thumbnails No means No-nomeansno-usa.png   No means No-nomeansno-usa.jpg  

Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:20 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Labo(u)r actually distanced themselves well from the media beat-up ... even they realise it is a ridiculous parallel to draw and isn't worth pursuing.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I thought Labo(u)r actually distanced themselves well from the media beat-up ... even they realise it is a ridiculous parallel to draw and isn't worth pursuing.
Yes, they have not got involved in this ridiculous debate - and rightly so.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dpande

Why on earth would an Australian know anything about a 1980s UK court case? He was referring to a specific comment about debates. As I said before should I never say 'no means no'? to my children or should they never say in return 'sometimes when you say no you mean yes'?

Please, use some common sense.