No means No

Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default No means No

Did anyone hear Tony Abbott's remarks when asked whether he would accept Ms Gillard's challenge for a debate on the economy, He criticised the invitation before saying: "Are you suggesting to me that when it comes from Julia, 'no' doesn't mean 'no.

What an ill informed phrase to use. Startling lack of judgment given that part of this election appears to be fought on gender.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:30 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No means No

To be honest, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Its a phrase and common English at that. To jump on that is just a purile act of the media.

What annoyed me more was Gillard wanting a second debate after refusing three repeatedly initially, deliberately then picking the launch day of the Coalition campaign and crying about it to the media when Abbott says no way I'm altering my plans just because the polls are starting to hate you.

The ALP campaign is starting to look more like a stunt show than plan by a party fit to govern. It's frankly embarrassing.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by RenShen
Did anyone hear Tony Abbott's remarks when asked whether he would accept Ms Gillard's challenge for a debate on the economy, He criticised the invitation before saying: "Are you suggesting to me that when it comes from Julia, 'no' doesn't mean 'no.

What an ill informed phrase to use. Startling lack of judgment given that part of this election appears to be fought on gender.
But she did say no !! Then waited for him to make his plans, then changed her mind, and now complains that he isn't interested. And who thought it is anything other than the debate ?

This election should NOT be on gender !!

Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

I am in agreement with you both that TA should not have to change his schedule to suit her change of mind and to be honest I have little time for either of them.

I am just surprised at his lack of polish. It was an extremely stupid phrase to use. He must know the connotations of it. He made another gaffe today when he referred to the Government as the former Government, making him sound too sure of himself.

Don't know who his advisers are but they need the sack.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:18 am
ABCDiamond

He made another gaffe today when he referred to the Government as the former Government, making him sound too sure of himself.

Technically he may be right, as the ALP are currently only a "caretaker government". They are now unable to make any major decisions, in the same way as a normal government can.

However, I think it was just a slip of the tongue. He isn't as polished a legal speaker as Julia Gillard. She appears to think every word through, and ensure she says nothing she means... oops... I mean nothing wrong....

Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I can't even believe that this is a newsworthy story. What a ridiculously PC world we live in and how the press try and makes news out of nothing.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Much ado about absolutely nothing. If you cant string 3 common english words together in a phrase that is pretty damn common in itself without getting up someone's PC nose then we are at a pretty pass. I daresay TA isnt intimately connected with the rape crisis mob and I must say that as a female it never even crossed my mind that it was an issue.

Media beat up in spades.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Much ado about absolutely nothing. If you cant string 3 common english words together in a phrase that is pretty damn common in itself without getting up someone's PC nose then we are at a pretty pass. I daresay TA isnt intimately connected with the rape crisis mob and I must say that as a female it never even crossed my mind that it was an issue.

Media beat up in spades.
Totally agree! He was talking about a specific subject and his words were valid. Anyone with an ounce of comprehension would understand that. Unfortunately there are those who would pick on anything to try to show T.A. in a bad light.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:58 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

Media beat up in spades.
As some will know I am not a TA fan but I agree with the 'beat up' line, it's a pathetic thing to focus on ...
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:00 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's petty...but when it comes to voting for TA (where the heck has this 'TA' thing come from!?) no, does mean NO!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute rubbish, in my opinion. He simply stated what he thought about her backflip on the matter of debates. Why people would take that out of context is beyond me, unless they are anti Tony Abbott and hope to show him as anti female.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:10 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yes, it's petty...but when it comes to voting for TA (where the heck has this 'TA' thing come from!?) no, does mean NO!
For my part TA is easier when I am tapping on my iThing having had a gutload of the working day and getting deep into some cask having told my current employers to stick their job and swivel on it.

Brevity is an Aussie thing and should be encouraged ... in any case TA is easier to type than Wing Nut Faced ****.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Put it in context of the debate which was the context that it was used and there was asolutely nothing wrong with it.

People jumping up and down about nothing. People are far too sensitive nowadays.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I am in agreement with you both that TA should not have to change his schedule to suit her change of mind and to be honest I have little time for either of them.

I am just surprised at his lack of polish. It was an extremely stupid phrase to use. He must know the connotations of it. He made another gaffe today when he referred to the Government as the former Government, making him sound too sure of himself.

Connotations are applied by the listener ie the listener hears what they want to hear, not what is actually said.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I can't even believe that this is a newsworthy story. What a ridiculously PC world we live in and how the press try and makes news out of nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.