British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   No Going Back (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/no-going-back-284196/)

worzel Feb 15th 2005 9:25 am

Re: No Going Back

I agree with all the above about the lack of focus on the agonising application process and the struggling to settle in rather than just a 4 week window when you parachute the participants in.

But I would also like to see more focus on people who are organised, looking for employment (rather than starting a business) and not a couple who are on the verge of splitting up etc. It might not be as exciting but it will give a much more balanced view of migrants go through I feel.

glittababe Feb 15th 2005 9:38 am

Originally Posted by jimtrish
i agree sam,

ive got the outbound dvd, its great it shows just how frustrating it all is. i havent got to do the skills assessment, but im also in a position whereby i cant get wheels properly in motion until i pass my conversion. only 4wks to go.
once that is here, im sure i will be grey!
it would be nice to see real people who have actually thought about what they are doing and why and how. alot of these documentaries show people who appear to have spun the bottle and not researched anything.
they make it look simple and dont show half the emotions you feel in one hour let alone during the process.
maybe we should hire our own tv company for us lot on the forum :D

Trish
xx

Trish where did you get the outbound DVD from? I know we've already been to oz (and back again) but it would be interesting to watch? The prob with TV shows like No Going Back, is they don't show the application stages! The waiting, waiting and more waiting, selling of the house, leaving work, all the insecurities etc etc What they do show is, hurrah....visa granted, leaving party, on the plane and start a new life!!! It needs to be more real than that otherwise it gives people false hope. X

Professional Princess Feb 15th 2005 9:55 am

I got my DVD's from 'Outbound Publishing' 'Australian News'.

Have watched them over and over again. Cant help it.

Its true though, although I watch the 'No Going Back', the Outbound DVD's are much better,

I still maintain that whilst the struggle begins when you arrive and settle in, alot can be said for the initial process of skills assessment.

How it takes over your whole life, how you hang on to everything Australian.

You go through the whole process in your head to try and imagine how it will be. I have even gone imagined going through airport security, leaving my family behind and made myself cry.

The whole picture should be shown if you want to get it balanced.

Hutch Feb 15th 2005 10:14 am

We certainly fulfil the criteria of the show 'new business' etc, but there is no way on earth I'd ever participate - whole process is bad enough without having a TV crew filming your every ****-up.

bridiej Feb 15th 2005 11:35 am

Originally Posted by surfdude
Why not make 2 x 30 - part 1 the process (all applicants will experience different hurdles/obstacles) and part 2 the actual move ? I think you should follow up on the migrants about a year after, people want to know how it has worked out.

Best wishes,
SD.

Now that would be a programme I would REALLY be interested in!! :)

Professional Princess Feb 15th 2005 11:51 am

I think that filming us lot crying over our skills assessment forms, cursing the TRA and doing our daily entries onto Expats, would make great viewing :D

Not to mention the alcohol fuelled parties to help us over our 'trauma'.

Come on Channel 4, you have everything you need here on Expats.

You have a rich mix of characters, comediens, drama queens plus the odd troll thrown in for good measure.

And most people come onto this forum because they are planning their migration or helping others settle in.

You have everything you need Channel 4, you just have to look for it.

jimtrish Feb 15th 2005 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by glittababe
Trish where did you get the outbound DVD from? I know we've already been to oz (and back again) but it would be interesting to watch? The prob with TV shows like No Going Back, is they don't show the application stages! The waiting, waiting and more waiting, selling of the house, leaving work, all the insecurities etc etc What they do show is, hurrah....visa granted, leaving party, on the plane and start a new life!!! It needs to be more real than that otherwise it gives people false hope. X

hi mate,

www.outboundpublishing.com they have quite a few things you can order and watch, youve seen it and done it though! The dvd is about 6hrs long but is excellent and compulsive viewing :D

CasG Feb 15th 2005 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by jimtrish
hi mate,

www.outboundpublishing.com they have quite a few things you can order and watch, youve seen it and done it though! The dvd is about 6hrs long but is excellent and compulsive viewing :D

Just thought I'd say hello Trish..............HELLO ! :)

xx

Bordy Feb 15th 2005 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by carolinegorka

xx

Shouldn't you be asleep young lady. :D

jimtrish Feb 15th 2005 2:28 pm

xx

hello you :D
hope youre ok
will def chat soon.

trish
xx

CasG Feb 15th 2005 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
Shouldn't you be asleep young lady. :D

I should :D
Computer has glued itself to my lap

Shouldn't you be working?

Cas x

Bordy Feb 15th 2005 2:31 pm

I should :D
Computer has glued itself to my lap

Shouldn't you be working?

Cas x

Your right, I should be. As its the bosses computer I'm on I better move. Cya at next meet up.

CasG Feb 15th 2005 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy
Your right, I should be. As its the bosses computer I'm on I better move. Cya at next meet up.

Will do Bordy, if not before - Carl is here no lter than 13 days time :D

Trish, give me a call when you not busy/knackered - leave message if out and i'll call you back xx

jimtrish Feb 15th 2005 2:48 pm

Will do Bordy, if not before - Carl is here no lter than 13 days time :D

Trish, give me a call when you not busy/knackered - leave message if out and i'll call you back xx

will do mate, take care :)

jonni boy Feb 15th 2005 2:53 pm

and how much would you be willing to pay a family to follow them on the hardest journey and time of there life.we have just come back from our visa trip and i am ready to go (wifes 95% ready) but the stress just getting this far is unreal..........how big is your cheque book