No Going Back

Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

abi_f is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No Going Back

Hello Everyone,

My name is Abi, and i'm really sorry to intrude on your lovely forum, but i was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. I'm a researcher on a Channel 4 TV programme called No Going Back, which is about brits looking to pack up and move abroad to start a new business or life in another country, preferably Australia, and i've been finding it difficult to find people, and get more research on what it entails and how difficult it is to actually pack up and move.

A lot of people do a lot of research before they move away and i wondered if anyone had details of companies or organisation that i could possibly contact to help me or give me advice as to where people go to do this and information on how easy/difficult it is.

If anyone is thinking of moving or making a new life for themselves and would be interested in No Going Back, I really would love hear from you. My e-mail address is [email protected].

Thanks for your time and again sorry to intrude.

Abi x
Old Feb 14th 2005, 6:15 pm
Professional Princess

Default Re: No Going Back

Originally Posted by abi_f
Hello Everyone,

My name is Abi, and i'm really sorry to intrude on your lovely forum, but i was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. I'm a researcher on a Channel 4 TV programme called No Going Back, which is about brits looking to pack up and move abroad to start a new business or life in another country, preferably Australia, and i've been finding it difficult to find people, and get more research on what it entails and how difficult it is to actually pack up and move.

A lot of people do a lot of research before they move away and i wondered if anyone had details of companies or organisation that i could possibly contact to help me or give me advice as to where people go to do this and information on how easy/difficult it is.

If anyone is thinking of moving or making a new life for themselves and would be interested in No Going Back, I really would love hear from you. My e-mail address is [email protected].

Abi x

To be honest Abi,

When I have watched 'No Going Back' on Channel 4, the migrants have made it look so easy.

Outbound publishing have brought out their own DVD on the actual process of migrating, paperwork from start to finish. This I have watched time and time again to boost my own confidence in my own application.

Although I enjoyed 'No Going Back', I find the whole 'struggle process' far more interesting to watch.

Film some of those migrants and you would really have the 'blood sweat and tears' stuff that makes great TV.

Because not only is the skills assessment the hardest part, without it you cannot migrate in the first place.

Ask for people at the skills assessment stage and they will tell you the same.

Good luck

Samantha

Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Hello Everyone,

Abi x
Sniff! Why won't any local channels here in Norway do such shows? Damn; we even asked two of them, but /&%"#/ NO .. it does not fit with our schedule now was the reply! Hmm .. there must be a demand out there for stuff like this?? I find all those shows interesting ... and know others do as well!

Abi: not interested in a youngish Norwegian family then?!! hehe!

/Jørgen Skogstad
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

kerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nice
Smile Re: No Going Back

[no going back was a great show we loved it! Good to see different peoples hopes and dreams come real, but this wasn't always.I remember couples packing up everything and going and then getting homesick and coming back in one month! Remember the poor girl who's mother wouldn't speak to her for migrating. I have ofter thought of her and wondered if they ever made up?
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

go 5 forums down and you'll find plenty people going back.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

taylors244 will become famous soon enoughtaylors244 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
To be honest Abi,

When I have watched 'No Going Back' on Channel 4, the migrants have made it look so easy.

Outbound publishing have brought out their own DVD on the actual process of migrating, paperwork from start to finish. This I have watched time and time again to boost my own confidence in my own application.

Although I enjoyed 'No Going Back', I find the whole 'struggle process' far more interesting to watch.

Film some of those migrants and you would really have the 'blood sweat and tears' stuff that makes great TV.

Because not only is the skills assessment the hardest part, without it you cannot migrate in the first place.

Good luck

Samantha
samantha
i totally agree, these programmes are great but they do make it seem so easy. the skills assessment process was a nightmare trying to get all the info together, i don`t know why we didn`t give up, but everythings at the TRA now.They could make a programme on that stage alone.
But `good things come to those who wait`.(a long time).
keith and sam
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
To be honest Abi,

Good luck

Samantha
i agree sam,

ive got the outbound dvd, its great it shows just how frustrating it all is. i havent got to do the skills assessment, but im also in a position whereby i cant get wheels properly in motion until i pass my conversion. only 4wks to go.
once that is here, im sure i will be grey!
it would be nice to see real people who have actually thought about what they are doing and why and how. alot of these documentaries show people who appear to have spun the bottle and not researched anything.
they make it look simple and dont show half the emotions you feel in one hour let alone during the process.
maybe we should hire our own tv company for us lot on the forum

Trish
xx
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

kerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nicekerryinuk is just really nice
Unhappy Re: No Going Back

[What a program that would make!!!! tears, and smiles Since i started our paperwork we have had many ups and downs. Family think we have gone totally off our rockers! but why not. Life is short and full of many oppertunities if you are prepared to take them.Family we will miss but with computers and web cams and most importantly we have great memories which go with us.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:24 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

i actuaually spoke to a resercher for no going back and they were not interested unless you were moving and starting a buissness that you had never done before
ie: im a hairdreser hoping to open a salon thats no good i was told if i was to open a bb or cafe or something then they would be interested then.
but thats proberbly because there is a greater risk of you fallin flat onyer face and that makes better tv
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:27 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taylors244
samantha
i totally agree, these programmes are great but they do make it seem so easy. the skills assessment process was a nightmare trying to get all the info together, i don`t know why we didn`t give up, but everythings at the TRA now.They could make a programme on that stage alone.
But `good things come to those who wait`.(a long time).
keith and sam

And that is because the TV staions only choose "a sure thing" - we were up for 2 different shows like this - but apparently we're "a liablility" as we do not have oodles of money and jobs to go to - they seem not interested in people that are not "secure" in their eyes. Both sat with us for ages and talked and talked and then....said they would talk to their bosses and get back to us...never called! Rejection from something like that is a bonus really - but where's the manners! Having dealt with a few of these programmes now, I am so glad we never had to deal with them at the same time as doing the most stressfull thing in our lives...if that's the way they deal with people. (Sounds like sour grapes huh - Hell No - I was just after the free flight and 1 month rent free, ha ha! And after that a mate said he's have disowned me if he had to watch them manipulate my character on "public humiliation" tv! Just as well we got rejected then!)
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:38 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

thats the trouble with all these shows (new life down under, no going back etc) they just show the family 'appearing' in Aus. For us its been 18 months so far and still no visa!
I'd like to see a program with more details right from the beginning so people can understand more fully the whole process involved.

Its like "here's family A in their new home in Brisbane" forget about the 2 years it took to get them there. The shows overall are not very informative, the producers just want to film them argueing and all falling out.

The worst culprit is that one where they 'apparently' turn up on the doorstep and give the family 2 weeks to make up there mind to emigrate. What a load of Bollox!!!! What about Visa's, pets, kids schools, notice from work, house to sell etc.etc.etc.etc. No-one believes it so why cant the TV people be more honest.

The subject matter is there to make a really good documentry style program, I'm sure there are thousands of people interested in emigrating especially to Australia, so why not make something actually useful........but no, it all desends into trash TV.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:43 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeywill
thats the trouble with all these shows (new life down under, no going back etc) they just show the family 'appearing' in Aus. For us its been 18 months so far and still no visa!
I'd like to see a program with more details right from the beginning so people can understand more fully the whole process involved.

Its like "here's family A in their new home in Brisbane" forget about the 2 years it took to get them there. The shows overall are not very informative, the producers just want to film them argueing and all falling out.

The worst culprit is that one where they 'apparently' turn up on the doorstep and give the family 2 weeks to make up there mind to emigrate. What a load of Bollox!!!! What about Visa's, pets, kids schools, notice from work, house to sell etc.etc.etc.etc. No-one believes it so why cant the TV people be more honest.

The subject matter is there to make a really good documentry style program, I'm sure there are thousands of people interested in emigrating especially to Australia, so why not make something actually useful........but no, it all desends into trash TV.

Well said!
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Hello Everyone,

Abi x

I think Samanatha makes a very interesting point. It is the whole 'paperwork process that needs to be explored first. Audiences need to know that it is not an easy process and relationships have broken down because they cannot take the pressure of the system. I too worked in TV for the BBC (Research, Producer) and I understand the mechanics and constraints to your programme, but you honestly put potenial migrants in cuckoo land !

Show them going throught the system, the whole process including medicals, staying up late at night trying to phone the DIMIA and waiting for the infamous yellow envelope to arrive. On the way point out what the system involves, the skills test, filling in the paperwork (an agent is not necessary - if you can pass the skills test, you can certainly do the paperwork yourself), the docters panel and the various problems you may encounter with the medicals and costs (it is not cheap).

Film their research of various locations, we bought every book possible(the Live and Work in Australia/NZ is excellent), read this site and visit the Australian government site (www.immi.gov.au) not only does this inform you of the process but gives, a realistic view of all aspects of Australian life. What are their main reasons for moving (this should be in your interview stage - heard many stories of people going back after a month !) Lastly, how it affected the children in the family not just from concept but the reality of the actual move, after the initial 'excitment' has worn off.

Trying to sell their UK house, having to 'validate' their visa by a certain date. The actual flight. Having to register with medicare, understanding the health system (the fact that you have 1 year to register for a private plan if you wish to take up the governments 30% rebate), changing your driving licence, taking the multiple choice test again and in some states having to do the practical test as well ! God the banks out here, how you are charged for everything. If you want a morgage with a good interest rate, you are usually advised to wait until you have been here and in your job for 6 months (you have no credit history here, you have to start from scratch).

You should touch on the fact that as a new migrant you have to prove your self against the competitor, which is usually an Australian who is very highly qualified. Most UK certificates are not recogised here - my husband was a very highly paid Engineer with responsibility for over £8 million worth of construction work, here in Australia his position just does not exist. He has had to change his career path totally and now work as a Services Manager in Construction, now learning everything about lift shafts/fire regulations and electrical/mechanical areas. This responsibility comes at about 1/3 less wage than he would earn in the UK ! On top of this, are UK people aware that Australians work very hard, much harder than in the UK - 8.00am start to 6.00pm with on average 20 days holiday (and as stated less wage).

Having said all this I would like to make it clear we personally have no regrets at all, love the country to death and its people, can't wait to become citizens and would never go back.

Why not make 2 x 30 - part 1 the process (all applicants will experience different hurdles/obstacles) and part 2 the actual move ? I think you should follow up on the migrants about a year after, people want to know how it has worked out.

Best wishes,
SD.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:53 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surfdude
Why not make 2 x 30 - part 1 the process (all applicants will experience different hurdles/obstacles) and part 2 the actual move ? I think you should follow up on the migrants about a year after, people want to know how it has worked out.

Best wishes,
SD.
With all your outlines etc - I would have watched that program - Let me know when you make it.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sandra
With all your outlines etc - I would have watched that program - Let me know when you make it.

I would have too ! I'm thinking about touting the Aussie TV networks but for a reverse programme - filming Aussies migrating to the UK - the only problem I can see, is that I might talk them out of it before they apply !!!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.