Reload this Page >

No advance visit - Crazy ?

No advance visit - Crazy ?

Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:03 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No advance visit - Crazy ?

Originally posted by Bix
Hello to all,

We rarely travel outside of Cornwall and have never taken a holiday away from the 4 walls of home.

Yet we plan to emigrate to Victoria with our 15 and 17 year old sons without any prior visit to OZ.

Work requirement will put us near to Ballarat probably on the West or South West side. (anyone know that region ?)

We intend to sell up lock stock and barrel making a complete cut from UK.

Do you think we are mad ?
..hate to say this but I would not even consider emigrating to a country that I had never been too? Or have you been before just to a different part?

Would you move somewhere in the UK without having been there first?

Can't you just go for a holiday to see if it could suit you?

At the same time life is for living and if you are mad enough to consider this you are probably mad enough to make it work! Just prepare yourself as best you can and don't expect the kand of milk and honey!

Good Luck
Maxine
Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:08 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Bix
Hello to all,

We rarely travel outside of Cornwall and have never taken a holiday away from the 4 walls of home.

Yet we plan to emigrate to Victoria with our 15 and 17 year old sons without any prior visit to OZ.

Work requirement will put us near to Ballarat probably on the West or South West side. (anyone know that region ?)

Yes.... Do it.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:20 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Maxine,

No, never been before and no way can we afford to go on holiday beforehand. Sale of the house will finance the whole thing when it happens.

I am not convinced seeing in advance is as crucial as some think. Surely you have to live somewhere to get to know it. I don't think you can experience that on a short stay holiday.

Ultimately you and others are probably right - we are just mad.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

buglegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
i luve pasties , have ya tried YATTALA PIES in brisbane ... mmmm .... lovely

But YATTALA pies with or without the mushy peas??
BG
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bix
Hello to all,

Hi
We are going to oz in april ( or when we sell the house!). We too have never been to the country before, though both my husband and i have worked abroad before. We are taking our 3 children with us (4,2 and 4 months).
Like you we do not have the money to finance a holiday there before. we need the procedds from the house sale to get us over there.
we have done much research. spoken to many people who know us and australia and all think we are doing the right thing.
I agree with you that a short holiday wouldn't necesaarily give us all the answers.
I think that people often move within this country without knowing about the place they are going to. we certainly have. you cannot know a place until you have lived there for a while.
We are not going into this expecting it to be easy, but we do think on the whole that it will be right for all of us. If it isn't after 2 years then we will come home. obviously we will have lost some money, but if we never try who knows? we may miss out on the best thing for us.
go for it.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:27 pm

Originally posted by Bix
Maxine,

No, never been before and no way can we afford to go on holiday beforehand. Sale of the house will finance the whole thing when it happens.

I am not convinced seeing in advance is as crucial as some think. Surely you have to live somewhere to get to know it. I don't think you can experience that on a short stay holiday.

Ultimately you and others are probably right - we are just mad.
..your'e totally right - a holiday would not give you a true impression of a place. We are lucky because husband worked there for a year and I was there once a month for 4 years so it's hard for me to see how others can do it.

Not having the weight of a mortgage gives you so much freedom and will make it easier for you. Just have a contingency in case you want to come home.

Theres nothing wrong with being mad I am totally crazy - it helps!
Old Jan 17th 2004, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

weve never been before and have no expections of what to expect, i have lived abroad before for several years and now that homesickness kicks in around 6 months after leaving and normally disappears about a year and a half later so i know what to expect on that score, we have an open mind about this if we dont like it then well move somewhere else

just because you move to one part of a country does not mean you have to settle there if your unhappy then move somewhere else

ill take them rose tinted glasses off soon

arlene
Old Jan 17th 2004, 6:58 pm

Originally posted by arlene
weve never been before and have no expections of what to expect, i have lived abroad before for several years and now that homesickness kicks in around 6 months after leaving and normally disappears about a year and a half later so i know what to expect on that score, we have an open mind about this if we dont like it then well move somewhere else

just because you move to one part of a country does not mean you have to settle there if your unhappy then move somewhere else

ill take them rose tinted glasses off soon

arlene
This is a good point Arlene,

I have been wondering for a while now why the people that don't like it don't just try another part of Aus? I guess they just don't like it full stop.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by maxpaxx
This is a good point Arlene,

I have been wondering for a while now why the people that don't like it don't just try another part of Aus? I guess they just don't like it full stop.

agree most people rent for 6 months anyway or longer and so have a chunk of pennies in their account, work is work wherever you go and as long as you are not fussy it shoudnt matter

i am a nurse but that dosnt mean to say i have to work in that profession, ive done all the worst jobs going (including having my hand down someone elses toilets and am still doing that now at work) as long as my quality of life is improved and i am happy in what i am doing then that is why i am going:

im on my soapbox wearing my glasses and it will take a huge push to get me off it

arlene
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

We came to NZ 5 months ago without visiting first, with 3 kids in tow! Did a lot of research though, so we had a reasonable idea about 'life' in NZ, but nothing prepares you for actually living somewhere, and holidays aren't 'real' enough.

We just sold up and came. Got a job. Got PR. Love it!

Lifes too short, life is for living, etc!

Have an adventure! That's what we called it and luckily it's worked out so far. But if it didn't, then we'd move on to the next 'adventure'.

Good luck with everything!

Old Jan 19th 2004, 4:58 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bix
Neither want to go but they are kids so they do what I tell them or they get a thump.
Mum, is that you? You sound just like my mum
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:54 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScousePete
Mum, is that you? You sound just like my mum
Your mum obviously didn't thump you hard enough you cheeky little monkey.

Are you a reds fan who emigrated to Denver to get away from Houlier ?