Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NIMBIN, Anyone visited or heard of it?

NIMBIN, Anyone visited or heard of it?

Old Nov 9th 2003, 9:46 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default NIMBIN, Anyone visited or heard of it?

Has anyone visited Nimbin? When I was touring OZ went and visited there while staying in Byron Bay. I had heard all these stories about weird and wonderful hippies happy on pot walking around the streets. Got there and it was a beautiful place. The area is lush and green and just so picturesque. There was the odd hippie walking around but found it a nice and relaxed place to be. They really do not give a damn about anything. They have there own elctrcity company and live off the land. The main high street is very strange with a VW camper van hanging out the front of one shop, someone parked it in the shop one day years ago and they left it there just built the shop around it. Nice place to visit and experience.
Attached Thumbnails NIMBIN, Anyone visited or heard of it?-nimbin18a.jpg  
Old Nov 9th 2003, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, know Nimbin quite well. Used to live not far from there, near Byron Bay. Can't say that I would want to settle there though. Everything you've heard is absolutely correct. take a look at some of the pictures on this web site, which speak for themselves.

http://www.nimbinaustralia.com/nimbin/festivals.html

I found the nimbin hemp bar quite interesting. certainly not a place I would want to be associated with. Anyway, take a look and you can make up your own mind.

http://www.nimbinhempbar.com/
Old Nov 9th 2003, 10:37 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by sassie
Yep, know Nimbin quite well. Used to live not far from there, near Byron Bay. Can't say that I would want to settle there though. Everything you've heard is absolutely correct. take a look at some of the pictures on this web site, which speak for themselves.

http://www.nimbinaustralia.com/nimbin/festivals.html

I found the nimbin hemp bar quite interesting. certainly not a place I would want to be associated with. Anyway, take a look and you can make up your own mind.

http://www.nimbinhempbar.com/
Oh no do not want to live there just curious as to if any one else has visited and what they thought of it. Thanks for the links though I do like to look at places. Liked Byron Bay too still a bit weird in parts but lovely beaches.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIMBIN, Anyone visited or heard of it?

Originally posted by nicholls clan
Has anyone visited Nimbin? When I was touring OZ went and visited there while staying in Byron Bay. I had heard all these stories about weird and wonderful hippies happy on pot walking around the streets. Got there and it was a beautiful place. The area is lush and green and just so picturesque. There was the odd hippie walking around but found it a nice and relaxed place to be. They really do not give a damn about anything. They have there own elctrcity company and live off the land. The main high street is very strange with a VW camper van hanging out the front of one shop, someone parked it in the shop one day years ago and they left it there just built the shop around it. Nice place to visit and experience.
I didn't like the place. I found the people there were trying so hard to be different & non-conformist that they conforming to another set of standards. I got sick of drug dealers trying to sell me e's & dope everywhere I went. Most of the people have dropped out & are being carried by the rest of Australia as they are nearlly all on benefits. It is a pretty location though.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:28 am
WBB

now i am going to have to visit nimbin !!!
Attached Images  

Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:33 am
Home in 2010.

Originally posted by welshboybilly
now i am going to have to visit nimbin !!!
From what I saw welshboybilly you really will not be dissapointed. But then to me it is not a shock after living in Holland where you can order a joint with a coffee. never remember if the coffee was good or bad just that I smiled the whole time.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 11:57 am
WBB

From what I saw welshboybilly you really will not be dissapointed. But then to me it is not a shock after living in Holland where you can order a joint with a coffee. never remember if the coffee was good or bad just that I smiled the whole time.

i have ben to holland 6 times on trips i have visited amsterdam every time but also i have been to venlo, rotterdam and a couple of smaller towns in between, amsterdam has got to be the most cultured city in europe in my opinion.

Old Nov 9th 2003, 12:08 pm
Home in 2010.

i have been to holland 6 times on trips .

Amsterdam is great, no one gives a damn about anything. They are very liberal on all subjects. Considering people go on about Holland and its drugs and sex areas, it is very controled. When I was in Sydney was shocked at the amount of hypo needles lying in gutters and parks. Was also shocked to see people shooting up on train stations and trains. This was in and around Merrylands and Cabramatta. In Holland I lived a street away from a methodone clinic for 3 months and never new until the last week I was there. It was just like a normal drop in centre, just run proffesionaly. People may slag Holland off but they do not brush things under the carpet and address their issues.

Remember when I was in Byron Bay and a guy was walking in front of me with a coat on and sandals, he bent down to pick a stub up off the floor and he had no undies on...it was so funny to see..he hadnt got a clue. Could have done with a wash and brush though
Old Nov 9th 2003, 3:20 pm
WBB

Amsterdam is great, no one gives a damn about anything. They are very liberal on all subjects. Considering people go on about Holland and its drugs and sex areas, it is very controled. When I was in Sydney was shocked at the amount of hypo needles lying in gutters and parks. Was also shocked to see people shooting up on train stations and trains. This was in and around Merrylands and Cabramatta. In Holland I lived a street away from a methodone clinic for 3 months and never new until the last week I was there. It was just like a normal drop in centre, just run proffesionaly. People may slag Holland off but they do not brush things under the carpet and address their issues.

Remember when I was in Byron Bay and a guy was walking in front of me with a coat on and sandals, he bent down to pick a stub up off the floor and he had no undies on...it was so funny to see..he hadnt got a clue. Could have done with a wash and brush though
good post and i would of added that the goverment makes a nice bit of tax from the seedy side of life, could you imagine the extra revenue the UK gov could make from legalising prostitution and cannabis, which btw is now a class c drug and simple possesion of a small amount is now a non arrestable offence.

Old Nov 9th 2003, 3:33 pm
Home in 2010.

good post and i would of added that the goverment makes a nice bit of tax from the seedy side of life, could you imagine the extra revenue the UK gov could make from legalising prostitution and cannabis, which btw is now a class c drug and simple possesion of a small amount is now a non arrestable offence.
Oh yes and it would take it off the streets (prostitution) If it is controled then its better for all. What a waste of tax payers money and police time, coppers posing as clients just to pull someone in and book them. They are back on the streets before you know it, total waste.
I do not see why people have a problem with smoking pot. It is hardly a riot starting drug. Give it to the England football supporters before a match and they would be " oh yeh cool becks baby" "wow good goal I love you man" plus at the end they would not worry that we lost the match.
Old Nov 9th 2003, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes and it would take it off the streets (prostitution) If it is controled then its better for all. What a waste of tax payers money and police time, coppers posing as clients just to pull someone in and book them. They are back on the streets before you know it, total waste.
I do not see why people have a problem with smoking pot. It is hardly a riot starting drug. Give it to the England football supporters before a match and they would be " oh yeh cool becks baby" "wow good goal I love you man" plus at the end they would not worry that we lost the match.

LOL!!! And post match hot-dog sales would go through the roof!!!!!!!