Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

nightmare medical

nightmare medical

Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all
Default nightmare medical

Just been for our medicals today. Well OH and 2 kids have been. I've got my medical next week with our youngest. Our eldest daughters medical was a piece of cake - the doctor barely examined her. However, my sons medical was a nightmare. :scared: He was terrified when he went in as he doesn't like the doctors at the best of times. He is only four so he can't read yet and burst into tears when the doctor asked him to read the letters on the board to check his vision. He had to strip and was extremely miffed at this. The doctor did the cough test and my son peed on his hand as he was so nervous and hadn't been to the loo. Then the doctor could only find "one" you know what and had to let my son sit down for a while and go to the loo again before checking to find the elusive second one - but did eventually find it. Had to reward son with trip to woolworths to pick a toy and a sweetie - poor mite.
Then it was OH's turn. He hates needles so was very wound up. Took TEN attempts to get near normal blood pressure. In the end the doctor just accepted the first near normal reading and left it at that - thank god!
All in all we were there for nearly 2 hours and were just glad to leave. Now I am not looking forward to my medical next week - surprise surprise!!
Anyone else had a trying medical?
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nightmare medical

Originally Posted by h1tvd
Just been for our medicals today. Well OH and 2 kids have been. I've got my medical next week with our youngest. Our eldest daughters medical was a piece of cake - the doctor barely examined her. However, my sons medical was a nightmare. :scared: He was terrified when he went in as he doesn't like the doctors at the best of times. He is only four so he can't read yet and burst into tears when the doctor asked him to read the letters on the board to check his vision. He had to strip and was extremely miffed at this. The doctor did the cough test and my son peed on his hand as he was so nervous and hadn't been to the loo. Then the doctor could only find "one" you know what and had to let my son sit down for a while and go to the loo again before checking to find the elusive second one - but did eventually find it. Had to reward son with trip to woolworths to pick a toy and a sweetie - poor mite.
Then it was OH's turn. He hates needles so was very wound up. Took TEN attempts to get near normal blood pressure. In the end the doctor just accepted the first near normal reading and left it at that - thank god!
All in all we were there for nearly 2 hours and were just glad to leave. Now I am not looking forward to my medical next week - surprise surprise!!
OMG how horrendous for them and your poor little son what a shame hope yours goes better
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:45 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness..you poor things!!!

Good luck with yours and your youngest's meds next week..I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake compared to todays!!!. Please let us all know how you get on.

D D
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

STEW53 is a jewel in the roughSTEW53 is a jewel in the roughSTEW53 is a jewel in the roughSTEW53 is a jewel in the roughSTEW53 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: nightmare medical

My wife and I had meds in May. Her exam was fine and she had this whilst I was in with the nurse doing the bloods. God did that hurt, 5 goes to get blood and I've never had a problem before with blood donating and all that. Still not keen on needles anyway, but as soon as that was over it was in for my exam and the first thing the doc does is take my BP and guess what it's raised!!!! Any surprise having just had my arm stabbed with a needle 5 times!! Anyway got through in the end after calming down a bit.

Sure you'll be fine next week.... it's all worth it in the end when the visa comes through!

Cheers
Stew
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:57 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

That doctor sounds incredibly uncaring subjecting a four year old to that kind of ordeal!

Surely he ought to know that four year olds can't read yet. And as for the "cough test" - what was he thinking?!

My own medical wasn't very nice either: 35 minutes, including extensive boob grope. But I am an adult and can deal with that.

Gina
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:45 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, gonna be taking my three year old boy soon and he can't tell an apple from an orange (well y' know what I mean). How horrendous for the poor wee soul. So sorry you had to go through that, bet you're glad he peed on that doctors hand tho' . Hope your medical all goes smoothly, keep us posted.

Nic
Old Nov 17th 2006, 4:49 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry youve had a nightmare. What a shame for your son. Hope he liked his toy and sweet though.
Hope yours goes better.
Joex
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:46 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds nothing like our medicals.. kids just had heart listened to, reflexes, quick tummy prod, ears and eyes, and a rough eye test, all with clothes on.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:16 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, poor wee soul. What Dr did you use. We're just down the road from you and taking our girls (4 and 3) too that's one Dr we won't be using.

Gill
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:23 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

You will probably sail through! Good luck x
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:55 pm
BT engineer wants out UK

JOE2369 is an unknown quantity at this point

informed agent daughter has just being diagnosed type 1 diabetic says forget it ant input here greatly accepted
Old Nov 17th 2006, 11:05 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JOE2369
informed agent daughter has just being diagnosed type 1 diabetic says forget it ant input here greatly accepted
Joe- I think he's wrong. I searched the web and found lots of references to Diabetics getting visa this is from another emi webstie, Im sure others who had the personal experience will advise you . Aus medical visa failures are for things wiht horrendous long term costs of management >20K$ in a 2yr period, Diabeties wont fall into that category. TB/Aids/ and some cancers do however of course.

We are currently looking into applying to live and work in canada. My partner is looking at applying as a skilled worker but is an insulin dependant diabetic and we are worried this may affect his application. We would be grateful if you could offer any advice on this. thanks
95% of diabetics who are well controlled with no complications and good Treatment history are succesful with migration applications in my experience. I have never had a refusal for such a case - though there have been people I would not take on whose medical problems were too severe (i.e going to cost Australia too much money)

Try google or search on BE - on BE there is a search button top right - search for diabeties Im sure you'll find plenty of advice.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 1:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Joe- I think he's wrong. I searched the web and found lots of references to Diabetics getting visa this is from another emi webstie, Im sure others who had the personal experience will advise you . Aus medical visa failures are for things wiht horrendous long term costs of management >20K$ in a 2yr period, Diabeties wont fall into that category. TB/Aids/ and some cancers do however of course.

We are currently looking into applying to live and work in canada. My partner is looking at applying as a skilled worker but is an insulin dependant diabetic and we are worried this may affect his application. We would be grateful if you could offer any advice on this. thanks
95% of diabetics who are well controlled with no complications and good Treatment history are succesful with migration applications in my experience. I have never had a refusal for such a case - though there have been people I would not take on whose medical problems were too severe (i.e going to cost Australia too much money)

Try google or search on BE - on BE there is a search button top right - search for diabeties Im sure you'll find plenty of advice.

Lots of diabetics on BE that have visas - one from a few years back was Podgypossum and another was teach - think it was her husband that had it. Anyway, they both got visas

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256319

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377758

for starters, but there are plenty of threads out there.

See the comment by JAJ on the second of those threads btw, should put a on your face.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 3:55 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Entire medical process is just a little too close to Germany's quest for perfect people for my liking.. Australia has laws preventing discrimination against the disabled and it says a lot about a country that potential migrants are specifically excluded from the protection of those laws.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

God, what a nightmare for you! It'll all be worth it in the end. Our experience was so different. Our doc (Galway, West of Ireland) was so different - no examinations, eye tests, nothing! Just a quick weight and height check, blood and urine tests and bob's your uncle - and all for only about €200 for the four of us (about £130) and a bit extra for the x-rays. Having said that, you should have seen the state of his desk - bits of paper everywhere and no receptionist - I was having palpitations about our meds never seeing Australian soil (bit of a control freak when it comes to paperwork - work as a legal secretary for a living....) Anyway, it all worked out in the end as these things normally do. Best of luck with everything else. Michelle x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.