Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

nice places to live western Sydney

nice places to live western Sydney

Old Jan 11th 2004, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default nice places to live western Sydney

Anybody goy any info on tnice places to live in the west of the city. Preferably on a train line into the city.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nice places to live western Sydney

Originally posted by jasonK944
Anybody goy any info on tnice places to live in the west of the city. Preferably on a train line into the city.
I'm an Eastern Suburbs person but if I had to live west, I'd go for something on the river - Lane Cove, Hunters Hill, Putney on the north-side or Balmain, Drummoyne, Abbotsford on the south-side.
There's quite a lot of new development on the river nowadays (old industrial sites being given over to housing). You could try Newington near the Olympic site or Canada Bay. Unfortunately, I think only Newington is close to a train line.

From Newtown west to Penrith it only gets hotter in summer and colder in winter - and has more and more car yards the further west you go. Flat, hot and not very desirable. Strathfield or Burwood are about the only OK suburbs in that direction AND they both have stations.

The Hills district isn't too bad - Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill (funnel web central), Cherrybrook, Kellyville (McMansion central) but they're quite a long way out and again not close to a train line.

I honestly couldn't recommend Penrith, Parramatta, Liverpool, Cambelltown to anyone. I'd rather live in a shoebox in Kings Cross than a house in those areas.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot about the Epping area. Epping's not bad and also on the train line. Surrounding suburbs of Cheltenham and Beecroft are also nice. Eastwood is OK too.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:08 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

What is your budget and how far west do you mean? How much heat and bad taste can you take?

A lot of colleagues live at Springwood which is in the foothills of the blue mountains and an up and coming neighbourhood.

For trains try www.131500.com.au .
Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:49 pm
ABCDiamond

St Clair is perfect !! Between Blacktown & Penrith.
Especially the house I am now selling there

Old Jan 12th 2004, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

We're at Kings Langley, between Baulkham Hills and Seven Hills, at the end of the M2 and 5 minutes to Seven Hills Railway Station.
Sue
Old Jan 12th 2004, 7:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Originally posted by SueandIan
We're at Kings Langley, between Baulkham Hills and Seven Hills, at the end of the M2 and 5 minutes to Seven Hills Railway Station.
Sue
How is it there?
Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
How is it there?
Family type leafy suburb, average block size 700m2, decent little shopping centre, (usual Coles, Woolies, Liquorland, restaurants/takeaways, bank, video shop, post office etc), good primary schools, no high school but good choice in Baulkham Hills, and off peak 25 mins to city on M2, 45-50 mins on train.
Sue