Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HSBC in Australia

HSBC in Australia

Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:40 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default HSBC in Australia

Hi there, my bank is HSBC in the UK and I was wondering how many branches there are now in Oz. I know there is one in Sydney, but how about Melbourne? Will they take UK HSBC debit (switch) cards for withdrawing money from a UK account?

Thanks for the help!

JON
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HSBC in Australia

Originally posted by joninoxford
Hi there, my bank is HSBC in the UK and I was wondering how many branches there are now in Oz. I know there is one in Sydney, but how about Melbourne? Will they take UK HSBC debit (switch) cards for withdrawing money from a UK account?

Thanks for the help!

JON
According to their website,

http://www.hsbc.com.au/index.html

there are 38 branches in Australia; these are in Victoria:

99 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Facsimile: [61] (3) 9618 3777

188 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Facsimile: [61] (3) 9652 3260

23 Carrington Street
Box Hill VIC 3128
Facsimile: [61] (3) 9895 3977

38 Kingsway
Glen Waverley VIC 3150
Facsimile: [61] (3) 9881 2283

sandy
Old Jan 11th 2004, 7:53 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jon,

I was in our local HSBC just last week arranging for Andrew to go on my account, we asked about branches in Australia. The girl wasn't sure where or how many but she did give us some useful advice. She said as soon as we know our date to go in and ask for an overseas introduction pack. Once filled in take it back, they send it off then overseas HSBC will contact you directly about opening your Australian HSBC account. Sounds pretty good to me. Hope this helps.

Regards
Sarah
Old Jan 11th 2004, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by teach
Hi Jon,

I was in our local HSBC just last week arranging for Andrew to go on my account, we asked about branches in Australia. The girl wasn't sure where or how many but she did give us some useful advice. She said as soon as we know our date to go in and ask for an overseas introduction pack. Once filled in take it back, they send it off then overseas HSBC will contact you directly about opening your Australian HSBC account. Sounds pretty good to me. Hope this helps.

Regards
Sarah

I have two points to make here :-

My hsbc manager advised me to fill in a fax form which allows them to act on my written instructions when in Oz(to close the account and transfer proceeds), and it is quicker and easier to walk in to any hsbc branch in Oz with your passport and open an account and you will get your cards quicker.

and the second is to open a Nationwide flexaccount before you go.....they are one of the only UK banks to not charge for withdrawals made abroad

Both have internet banking so funds can easily be transferred from one to the other whilst in Oz
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:31 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

We joined HSBC in Melbourne. Our nearest branch was Glen Waverley. At present they are not the best represented bank in the country but you do get some advantages

Free use of HSBC ATM's (About 3 of them (No I'm not joking))
5 free uses of other ATM's
Free EFTPoS - We do a lot of stuff on EFTPOS and get cashback as it is all free
You get a good rate of interest (Don't ask me what as I can't remember) if you keep $2000 in your account.
You can withdraw cash free from the post office

The bank charges in Oz will come as a bit of a shock (They did to us anyway and we'd already heard about them)

We tried setting up the account in the UK but it was a ball ache and we ended up doing it here
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:41 am
Merlot

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rossi
and the second is to open a Nationwide flexaccount before you go.....they are one of the only UK banks to not charge for withdrawals made abroad

Who is the other bank in the UK?

Old Jan 12th 2004, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

As a side issue...

my daughter is coming to visit me for 5 weeks next month and is a HSBC customer in UK... will she be able to get good access to ATMs using her UK card?