Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NHS - Is there an Australian equvalent for Healthcare?

NHS - Is there an Australian equvalent for Healthcare?

Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

mgazia10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NHS - Is there an Australian equvalent for Healthcare?

I am moving to Oz for a year on a working hol visa, but wasnt sure about health care.
I ahve tried finding out on various websites but dont have a clearer picture??

Is it the same as Britain, where you can register at a docs, and go there for free? or do you have to pay for this service?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS - Is there an Australian equvalent for Healthcare?

Originally Posted by mgazia10
I am moving to Oz for a year on a working hol visa, but wasnt sure about health care.
I ahve tried finding out on various websites but dont have a clearer picture??

Is it the same as Britain, where you can register at a docs, and go there for free? or do you have to pay for this service?
The Australian version is called Medicare. Some WHV holders are eligible for some emergency treatment under Medicare but it depends what passport you hold.
Even then doctors here are not free, anything from $30 upwards, dependin gon who you see. You don't register with one either, you can see a different one each time if you wish.

Do a search of the forum for "Medicare" for more details.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:08 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Even then doctors here are not free, anything from $30 upwards, dependin gon who you see. .
Have to disagree with you on this point. If you can find a Dr who Bulk bills there are plenty of free ones
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Have to disagree with you on this point. If you can find a Dr who Bulk bills there are plenty of free ones
What is it with the poms and the need to find free healthcare? Bulk billing was designed as a safety net for those who could not afford the co-payment most Aussies pay out the $30 or so per visit.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

mgazia10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
What is it with the poms and the need to find free healthcare? Bulk billing was designed as a safety net for those who could not afford the co-payment most Aussies pay out the $30 or so per visit.

I think thats a sad response, I live in UK where healthcare is free, the only resource I have is the internet to find out what actually is offered in Oz, not 'trying' to get free health care, and even if I was, I dont see the harm, in being treated when required without having to cough up a ridiculous amount of money!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Australian version is called Medicare. Some WHV holders are eligible for some emergency treatment under Medicare but it depends what passport you hold.
Even then doctors here are not free, anything from $30 upwards, dependin gon who you see. You don't register with one either, you can see a different one each time if you wish.

Do a search of the forum for "Medicare" for more details.
I found it more common to cost between $0 to $30 rather than $30+. You do register, but it is a quick and simple registration so different to UK. If they are full they can refuse to register you but never had this happen to me. Probably depends whether you live in city or not. Plenty of free one's in the big cities if you look. The rest of the hospital system is very similar to the NHS. Some British immigrants will say it's worse, some will say it's better....so you can probably assume it is similar to UK.....luck of the draw depending on location.

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 28th 2009 at 1:55 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:36 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
So you know how much everyone earns now then do you? I love the generalization of "most Aussies" pmsl!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 12:39 am
High in the Dandenongs

I think thats a sad response, I live in UK where healthcare is free, the only resource I have is the internet to find out what actually is offered in Oz, not 'trying' to get free health care, and even if I was, I dont see the harm, in being treated when required without having to cough up a ridiculous amount of money!
A very sad response especially as the person who wrote doesn't have privvy to anyones financial situation!

There is no harm in it what so ever, in fact I would struggle to find a surgery that doesn't bulk bill around here...Good luck and enjoy your time here
Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

The OP will have to register with Medicare in order to take advantage of bulk billing. I had to pay $900 towards my Medicare card when I came here 12 years ago on PR visa.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:05 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Healthcare is never free. Don't you know how much you pay in N.I. contributions?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ozzies pay twice. Once as a deduction from salary and then again on visiting a practitioner. Is that correct?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Healthcare is never free. Don't you know how much you pay in N.I. contributions?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ozzies pay twice. Once as a deduction from salary and then again on visiting a practitioner. Is that correct?
In effect yes, there is the standard Medicare levy of 1.5 % , then any additional costs when attending the GP, I can't find a bulk billing practice anywhere that will take on new patients so stuck with paying out approx $20 $30 a time. And we also have private health insurance!

There is the additional Medicare levy if you earn over a certain amount as well, which you have to pay if you have not taken out private health insurance.

Sam
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:56 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I think some people are missing a point. When you go to the doctor and you pay, you take your receipt to your Medicare office and they give you cash back for any and all eligible services provided, up to the limit for a particular service.

The bulk billing thing just saves you from saving to go and do that. Normall we just save some receipts up and nip into the office when we're in the shopping centre.

So there is no disadvantage from using a non bulk billing doctor ultimately. In fact I prefer it since I am paying myself and thus the doctor is aware that I have the choice of who I see and where I go.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tooterelli

This is so stupid.

On that basis schools are not free libraries are not free, police, ambulance, fire are not free.
Of course the money has to come from somewhere but it is free at the point of use.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I think some people are missing a point. When you go to the doctor and you pay, you take your receipt to your Medicare office and they give you cash back for any and all eligible services provided, up to the limit for a particular service.

The bulk billing thing just saves you from saving to go and do that. Normall we just save some receipts up and nip into the office when we're in the shopping centre.

So there is no disadvantage from using a non bulk billing doctor ultimately. In fact I prefer it since I am paying myself and thus the doctor is aware that I have the choice of who I see and where I go.
Maybe I have misunderstood, I thought if you went to a bulk billing practice you had no upfront costs to pay at all.

Whereas I go to a non bulk billing practice and have to pay them, then go to Medicare office and usually get half back, so costs me about $20/$30 a time, but if it had been a bulk biller I would have no out of pocket expenses at all. I thought that was why everyone wants to go to a bulk biller?

Sam
Old Apr 29th 2009, 3:39 am
High in the Dandenongs

Sam, thats exactly how it works

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.