NHS Specs

Old Jul 13th 2003, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Jeannie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool NHS Specs

This is just a little thing, but something that I am kicking myself for not thinking about earlier.

One of my kids wears glasses, has done since he was three, and we have always gotten free specs on the NHS. Came over here three months ago, and last week he got a football in the face and suddenly there is a need for new specs. We brought his old pair as a spare, so it was not a dire emergency (he can't see a thing without them), but we went shopping for glasses yesterday, and although we have taken out private health insurance, there is a six month waiting period for things like specs.

Upshot of all this is - after shopping around various optometrists, the cheapest we could come up with was $312!!!

It hurts after never having paid for them before.

So - if your little ones need glasses, consider getting them a pair or two before you come.

Wish I did.

Jeannie
Old Jul 13th 2003, 10:03 am
The Tooth Fairy

Default Re: NHS Specs

Originally posted by Jeannie1
This is just a little thing, but something that I am kicking myself for not thinking about earlier.

One of my kids wears glasses, has done since he was three, and we have always gotten free specs on the NHS. Came over here three months ago, and last week he got a football in the face and suddenly there is a need for new specs. We brought his old pair as a spare, so it was not a dire emergency (he can't see a thing without them), but we went shopping for glasses yesterday, and although we have taken out private health insurance, there is a six month waiting period for things like specs.

Upshot of all this is - after shopping around various optometrists, the cheapest we could come up with was $312!!!

So - if your little ones need glasses, consider getting them a pair or two before you come.

Wish I did.

Jeannie
If your kids's prescription contains no correction for astigmatism then a pair of cheap standard lenses (purely concave or convex) may be just as good and cost $5 to $10. Only need to see an optometrist if the eyes change.

Old Jul 14th 2003, 5:47 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS Specs

Originally posted by Jeannie1

Wish I did.

Jeannie

The bloody NHS has a lot to answer for the buggers have given the refugees an easy time , never mind Australia will teach them the price of health.