NHS as a PR

Old Oct 13th 2018, 6:14 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question NHS as a PR

Hi all,

I just got my PR Visa 801. I am also going to the UK in 8 weeks, to look after my sick Father, and could be away for some time. In this case, what happens if I need medical attention? I'm a British Citizen and have only just got my 801 visa. I know that UK and Aus have reciprocated health care systems - so would I see a Doctor/Hospital as a UK Citizen (even though I haven't lived or worked there, or paid taxes, for 4 years)? Or as a visiting Australian Permanent Resident? Do I have to apply for anything before I travel? I don't think I need expatriate health insurance, because I should be covered by either UK NHS, or Australian Medicare. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Shelley
red7 is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2018, 6:23 am
  #2  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,276
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS as a PR

Originally Posted by red7 View Post
Hi all,

I just got my PR Visa 801. I am also going to the UK in 8 weeks, to look after my sick Father, and could be away for some time. In this case, what happens if I need medical attention? I'm a British Citizen and have only just got my 801 visa. I know that UK and Aus have reciprocated health care systems - so would I see a Doctor/Hospital as a UK Citizen (even though I haven't lived or worked there, or paid taxes, for 4 years)? Or as a visiting Australian Permanent Resident? Do I have to apply for anything before I travel? I don't think I need expatriate health insurance, because I should be covered by either UK NHS, or Australian Medicare. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Shelley
You would only be covered by the NHS if you were returning to the UK to live permanently, not to visit. As a visitor you are entitled to emergency care, under the reciprocal agreement with Medicare.
Really you need to look at travel insurance - not just in case anything happens there but also in case it happens en route.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2018, 8:18 am
  #3  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 14,312
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS as a PR

NHS care is based on residency. If you are returning to the UK to live on a permanent basis then you will be covered. If you were returning temporarily then you would not be. Your situation appears to fall somewhere in between but if you will be in the UK for the foreseeable future then you should be considered ordinarily resident and therefore eligible.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2018, 2:51 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NHS as a PR

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
You would only be covered by the NHS if you were returning to the UK to live permanently, not to visit. As a visitor you are entitled to emergency care, under the reciprocal agreement with Medicare.
Really you need to look at travel insurance - not just in case anything happens there but also in case it happens en route.
Thanks Pollyana. I am getting one-way travel insurance for the trip but I can't get long-term travel insurance. For one, I could be gone for up to a year and the price for that would be ridiculous (plus, I couldn't give the insurer my return dates). But also, I think I should be covered under one of the countries' health agreements, given I'm a Citizen of one and a PR of the other. I'm just not sure which one, it's a bit of a grey area.
red7 is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2018, 2:53 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NHS as a PR

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
NHS care is based on residency. If you are returning to the UK to live on a permanent basis then you will be covered. If you were returning temporarily then you would not be. Your situation appears to fall somewhere in between but if you will be in the UK for the foreseeable future then you should be considered ordinarily resident and therefore eligible.
Thanks BritInParis. How do the Gov't determine if you are returning permanently or not? I have a one-way ticket and could be there up to a year.
red7 is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2018, 7:01 am
  #6  
Alone again, naturally
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,276
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS as a PR

Originally Posted by red7 View Post
Thanks BritInParis. How do the Gov't determine if you are returning permanently or not? I have a one-way ticket and could be there up to a year.
Think of it as if you are returning to live get on the electoral roil, make sure the bank has your current address (I assume you still have an account) - then register with a GP as having returned to the UK After all f you are taking in months/years rather than days/weeks that makes you a resident.
Otherwise yes you are covered by Medicare, but only for emergency care. If you go down that route you are just an Aussie tourist in the UK, entitted to emergency care and expected to cover anything else on travel insurance.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2018, 11:14 am
  #7  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 14,312
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS as a PR

Originally Posted by red7 View Post
Thanks BritInParis. How do the Gov't determine if you are returning permanently or not? I have a one-way ticket and could be there up to a year.
I can’t see it being an issue then.
BritInParis is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2018, 5:03 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: NHS as a PR

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Think of it as if you are returning to live get on the electoral roil, make sure the bank has your current address (I assume you still have an account) - then register with a GP as having returned to the UK After all f you are taking in months/years rather than days/weeks that makes you a resident.
Otherwise yes you are covered by Medicare, but only for emergency care. If you go down that route you are just an Aussie tourist in the UK, entitted to emergency care and expected to cover anything else on travel insurance.
Thanks for the good advice. I still have a functioning UK account, I can do the rest when I get there.
red7 is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:20 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
quoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 8,127
quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS as a PR

Originally Posted by red7 View Post
Thanks BritInParis. How do the Gov't determine if you are returning permanently or not? I have a one-way ticket and could be there up to a year.
We were in much your position - returned to care for ailing parents 7 years ago and my dad's GP didn't bat an eyelid and put us on their books. We got our names on the electoral role as well so it was very straightforward for us. I'm guessing you will be hoping that your care role doesn't last ad long as ours!
quoll is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2018, 3:16 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NHS as a PR

Originally Posted by quoll View Post


We were in much your position - returned to care for ailing parents 7 years ago and my dad's GP didn't bat an eyelid and put us on their books. We got our names on the electoral role as well so it was very straightforward for us. I'm guessing you will be hoping that your care role doesn't last ad long as ours!
Thanks Quoll. I think that's what I'll do, too. Unfortunately, my Dad's prognosis is only 5-8 months But who knows what life has in store for me/my family beyond that. I hope I'm not there for 7 years, I've been through the mill and back to get my visa!
red7 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.