Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Potential move to Sydney- what do I need to know?

Potential move to Sydney- what do I need to know?

Old Oct 16th 2018, 10:48 am
Just Joined

timbobs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential move to Sydney- what do I need to know?

Hi All,

Husband and I have talked about potentially moving to Sydney for a year while we're still young enough to do it and before we have kids!

I have ans Aussie passport and citizenship (although never lived in Aus) so it should be easy for me to move and work- what about my husband? We have been married 4 years and he has a degree/skilled job.

We would probably be thinking of Sydney as my husband's company have an office there so that would be easiest I guess. What areas are good to live either fairly central or suburbs?

I am a horsey/outdoors person so if in a suburb access to horses would be great, but if we're city living I can probably cope for a year with limited horse contact!

What else do we need to know/consider?!

At the moment, this is a total pie in the sky idea and we haven't looked into any details.

Last edited by timbobs; Oct 16th 2018 at 10:48 am. Reason: Added info
Old Oct 16th 2018, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential move to Sydney- what do I need to know?

Originally Posted by timbobs
Hi All,

Husband and I have talked about potentially moving to Sydney for a year while we're still young enough to do it and before we have kids!

I have ans Aussie passport and citizenship (although never lived in Aus) so it should be easy for me to move and work- what about my husband? We have been married 4 years and he has a degree/skilled job.

We would probably be thinking of Sydney as my husband's company have an office there so that would be easiest I guess. What areas are good to live either fairly central or suburbs?

I am a horsey/outdoors person so if in a suburb access to horses would be great, but if we're city living I can probably cope for a year with limited horse contact!

What else do we need to know/consider?!

At the moment, this is a total pie in the sky idea and we haven't looked into any details.
Your husband would need a spousal visa. Should be a formality but the paper work is painful to collect and complete. You might as well jump on that now as the process can take some time.

Where is your husband office in Sydney? City, Parramatta, North Sydney? That can determine the best place to live for the easiest commute.

My wife is a horse rider (I should probably say former). On the odd occassion she has been riding but not in Sydney. She has been to the Blue Mountains and also done a few day trek in the Snowy Mountains. She says in central Sydney the horse riding is pretty boring. There is an equestrian centre at Centennial Park which is central. There is a place called Darkes Forest which is supposed to be good and about an hour from the centre of the city. Beautiful scenery around there too. Horsing happens but Sydney is a city so you would have to do a bit of Google searching.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If you are only thinking of going for a year, then if he is younger than 31, a working holiday visa would be possible. Costs a few hundred and takes a few weeks to process. Though it does have a restriction that he can only work for any one employer for six months.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If you are only thinking of going for a year, then if he is younger than 31, a working holiday visa would be possible. Costs a few hundred and takes a few weeks to process. Though it does have a restriction that he can only work for any one employer for six months.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
Your husband would need a spousal visa. Should be a formality but the paper work is painful to collect and complete. You might as well jump on that now as the process can take some time.

Where is your husband office in Sydney? City, Parramatta, North Sydney? That can determine the best place to live for the easiest commute.

My wife is a horse rider (I should probably say former). On the odd occassion she has been riding but not in Sydney. She has been to the Blue Mountains and also done a few day trek in the Snowy Mountains. She says in central Sydney the horse riding is pretty boring. There is an equestrian centre at Centennial Park which is central. There is a place called Darkes Forest which is supposed to be good and about an hour from the centre of the city. Beautiful scenery around there too. Horsing happens but Sydney is a city so you would have to do a bit of Google searching.
Thanks for your reply. His company office is based in West Ryde and my potential office is near Macquarie Park, so not the most central places!

Good to know he would just need a spousal visa so will start looking into that.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
Thanks that’s good to know. He is younger than 31, but ideally he’d like to transfer over with his current company so would need to work for them for the full year.

If that doesn’t happen good to know about the working holiday visa!
Old Oct 17th 2018, 7:29 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We live just south of the city and my husband commutes to Macquarie Park - it's quite an easy journey. Actually we're close to the horses at Centennial Park too. Shall I do a sales job again on Alexandria?
Old Oct 18th 2018, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
We live just south of the city and my husband commutes to Macquarie Park - it's quite an easy journey. Actually we're close to the horses at Centennial Park too. Shall I do a sales job again on Alexandria?
I am already sold on the area. Big time up and comer. However, it will be interesting to what happens to the traffic when the pile the Westconnex onto the local roads in Alexandria.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for your reply. His company office is based in West Ryde and my potential office is near Macquarie Park, so not the most central places!

Good to know he would just need a spousal visa so will start looking into that.
West Ryde. Yes somewhere central would be better but not the end of the world.

So what type of place and area do you want. A big house on the big block out in the sticks? A smaller place centrally or near the beach? Are you happy with suburban life, mowing lawns, few cafe's and pubs within walking distance or would you prefer the vibrancy of people and things to do in a more densely populated area? On that train line you can do both however living near the beach, while not impossible, would extend your commute. A google search from start to end destination will give you transport timings. Car is also an option if there's parking.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember something like 2.8% of all Sydney rental real estate is on the market at the moment. It may reach 4% when hordes of new flats come onto the market.
This is the highest level since post 2000 Olympics'. The highest number seem to be in Northern Beaches area around Avalon. Although hardly a cheap option. But at least there are growing options into rental possibilities, although at a price. You are moving to one of the worlds most expensive cities.
Vibrancy. is often than not 'trade speak' in order to 'flog off' for speculators, small, often inferior built flats, over priced, but can be better located.
You can be lucky though. A friend of mine has a very well built flat, not too far from everything. It took them a few years to find after arriving but that was some years ago.
Not sure if 'a better life'? Certainly a 'different life'. It will depend on measurement used. Good luck anyway.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 3:55 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I am already sold on the area. Big time up and comer. However, it will be interesting to what happens to the traffic when the pile the Westconnex onto the local roads in Alexandria.
True, and friends have issues right now due to train line closure.

Hey Beoz, ten years in, I joined the library! And had a good look round Green Square - it's a cool space and has some good bookable rooms (for a fee of course, although for NFPs such as mine, a discounted one).
Old Oct 18th 2018, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

True, and friends have issues right now due to train line closure.
Train line closures. Which line? I went to Mascot yesterday and that line was certainly running.

Speaking of which, Mascot, ok a bit of an apartment jungle but certainly lots of restaurants and bars popping up there.

Had a beer in the little bar just outside the station. Good little place. Great for people watching and plane spotting.

Hey Beoz, ten years in, I joined the library! And had a good look round Green Square - it's a cool space and has some good bookable rooms (for a fee of course, although for NFPs such as mine, a discounted one).
Sounds good. Does the library have anything other than a nice design and books?
Old Oct 18th 2018, 6:48 am
Just Joined

West Ryde. Yes somewhere central would be better but not the end of the world.

So what type of place and area do you want. A big house on the big block out in the sticks? A smaller place centrally or near the beach? Are you happy with suburban life, mowing lawns, few cafe's and pubs within walking distance or would you prefer the vibrancy of people and things to do in a more densely populated area? On that train line you can do both however living near the beach, while not impossible, would extend your commute. A google search from start to end destination will give you transport timings. Car is also an option if there's parking.
We currently live in suburbia in the UK but As we’re only planning on moving for a year, somewhere central would be good so we can experience the city properly. We won’t have a car so easy commuting is essential!

Will have a google at the places everyone has suggested
Old Oct 18th 2018, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We currently live in suburbia in the UK but As we’re only planning on moving for a year, somewhere central would be good so we can experience the city properly. We won’t have a car so easy commuting is essential!

Will have a google at the places everyone has suggested
Maybe Newtown or somewhere inner west that's on the same train line.
Old Oct 19th 2018, 10:31 am
Auntie Fa

Train line closures. Which line? I went to Mascot yesterday and that line was certainly running.
<snip>
Sounds good. Does the library have anything other than a nice design and books?
Ah sorry I meant the Epping line that goes to Mac Park - my neighbour used to take it if my husband wasn't going that way (he's away a lot). Not sure of the OP's timing but worth bearing in mind.

The library has a plane in it. Of course.

timbobs - happy to offer advice on living in Sydney. Best of luck with your planning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.