Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newly qualified British midwives

Newly qualified British midwives

Old Jan 2nd 2016, 8:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newly qualified British midwives

Originally Posted by Sunshin3
She will be 20 or 21
She'll need to still be totally dependent on you to be included then, I'm afraid - aat full-time college or university maybe. If she is working, or has a partner, she won't be able to be included as a dependent.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 9:17 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I realise that Australia has weather. My children do spend time outdoors. Seriously what's the point in these sarcastic replies.
Because when new posters come here and say they want to move to Australia 'for the weather' or from watching an episode of Wanted Down Under or that 'their second-cousin twice removed can give them a job' it's like chum in the water.

The last few weeks in Melbourne there were a number of 40+ days, there's no way I'm going outside if I can help it.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Sunshin3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh right so no one normal moves there for one of the reasons being climate, lovely beaches etc. Obviously the amazingly cool people are so so awesome they're too cool to fry! For the people who actually were kind enough to respond to my post helpfully, thank you. To the rest who have nothing nice to say, I'm guessing you're the type of people who enjoyed the power trips picking on the new lid in school... Such people end up very lonely with the punishment of having themselves for company. Yes yes, think of another I'm soooooo fab response l, Google it or whatever. I'm not going to entertain you by carrying this on.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 1:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
The last few weeks in Melbourne there were a number of 40+ days
Well, there's been ONE actually, maybe two if you're in the western suburbs somewhere.

Last edited by bcworld; Jan 3rd 2016 at 1:20 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 9:23 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh right so no one normal moves there for one of the reasons being climate, lovely beaches etc. Obviously the amazingly cool people are so so awesome they're too cool to fry! For the people who actually were kind enough to respond to my post helpfully, thank you. To the rest who have nothing nice to say, I'm guessing you're the type of people who enjoyed the power trips picking on the new lid in school... Such people end up very lonely with the punishment of having themselves for company. Yes yes, think of another I'm soooooo fab response l, Google it or whatever. I'm not going to entertain you by carrying this on.
The harsh climate and the beaches (which are good if you like that sort of thing ) are part of iving in Australia.
Many of us on this forum have several years of experience under our belts, and we have had a lot of people come on the forum over the years thinking that Aus is paradise - sunshine every day, dinner on the beach every night, high wages low cost of living, palatial homes etc.
And in some cases when we point out that the high temps keep people indoors, that large parts of the country either burn or flood (or both) each year, and that its pretty muchon a par with the UK these days as far as the cost of living goes, many posters vanish, never to be seen again as they realise its not actually the land of milk and honey. The US has a simiar thing with posters wishing to go to Florida, thinking its all Disney and sunshine - mention the odd hurricane and they run a mile.

Now if you aren't one of those, and you already realise the realities of living here, thats great We aren't trying to put you off, just to point out that constant heat is as draining (if not more) than rain and grey skies. Don't move to just get an outdoor life, move for the whole experience

When I first came here my prior experience was Tasmania - loved the climate. Moved to Queensland ......... spent the next few years thinking WTF didn't I listen to the BE peeps telling me about heat and humidity

----------------------

Now, back to the visa issue - what's the plan for your daughter to remain dependent?
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 11:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I realise that Australia has weather. My children do spend time outdoors. Seriously what's the point in these sarcastic replies.
You see sarcasm, but those of us who've lived here for a while see reality. You do realise that when it's 37° out with a UV index of 14 your kids won't be spending time outside...right?
If you plan on moving across the world you'd better grow a thicker skin. Emigrating to a new country is not an easy task and the people on this forum will only try to give you a taste of reality. If you're only looking for the "Go for it! The weather is lovely! You'll buy a 6 bedroom house in the best suburb for $100k!" type response then you're going to have to look elsewhere.

The amazingly cool person that is me is not so awesome that I'm too cool to fry. As a matter of fact, yesterday morning at 8:00 my partner and I decided to go for a ride on his motorbike to have breakfast at a cafe on the beach (not actually on the beach, but across the road - I can't remember the last time I was at the beach, even though it's only a 5 minute walk from the house). Thinking that 8 would be ok before it heated up, of course. Nope... Definitely got fried.

Power trip? Nothing nice to say? Picking on new kids in school? Honestly, honey you have no idea. Giving you a dose of reality is probably the nicest thing anyone could do for you. I think you'll find that I'm actually pretty moderate about my life here. I didn't come for the beaches or fabulous weather - I came because my ex-husband and I wanted a bit of adventure. And you know what we got? We got unemployment, kids who grew up without their extended family, loneliness, homesickness, and eventually divorced. Now I'm in a country I don't particularly want to live in but the alternative of going home means I leave my children here. That, my dear is the reality of a lot of people who move countries.

Now, I won't entertain you any more by carrying on. All I can say is go for it. Life's a beach and the gold paved streets here are filled with children out enjoying the fan****ingtastic weather!!!
Old Jan 4th 2016, 3:35 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think you'll find that I'm actually pretty moderate about my life here. I didn't come for the beaches or fabulous weather - I came because my ex-husband and I wanted a bit of adventure. And you know what we got? We got unemployment, kids who grew up without their extended family, loneliness, homesickness, and eventually divorced. Now I'm in a country I don't particularly want to live in but the alternative of going home means I leave my children here. That, my dear is the reality of a lot of people who move countries.
And sadly, looking back over the years on BE, thats what a lot of us ended up with.
Not everyone, there are plenty of really happy stories out there too, but like you Dorothy, I think its best to be realistic.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the Australian climate overall, mainly because I prefer the relatively warmer wintertime. But a very valid point was made about the "more time outdoors" cliche and you would honestly do well to take note. I know people in the UK that spend far more time outdoors than people I know in Australia. And vice versa. It is nothing to do with the country, it is to do with the person.

I am not especially outdoorsy myself, so I might be easily deterred from outdoor activities if the conditions are not right. If you are someone that finds that you are put off going outside by a bit of grey and UK drizzle then I would be fairly sure that Australian rain, heat and humidity are also going to put you off.

As I mention, I do prefer the Australian climate because of the winter, but it is much harsher and harder to live in. Since I got back to the UK this year, I have spent far more time outdoors than I had in the previous five years in Australia.

Moving because you believe it will result in spending "more time outdoors as a family" is flawed thinking and people are doing you a favour in pointing out that it might not be like that.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

im thinking of going on Dragons Den. I have this idea for a glass case with a doll inside and when you break the glass, out pops Nicky in her sundress saying ' the other side of the wuuuuurrrl' and then her arms open wide.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

They are not being sarcastic, more honest. Extreme heat, extreme uv levels, scorching winds etc mean you need protection from the climate, aircinditioning , shade head to toe sunblock every few hours, . A lot of people end up hating the heat with good reason.