Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A newly built house with no deposit??

A newly built house with no deposit??

Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default A newly built house with no deposit??

Heard an advert for this company on the radio today. It sounds too good to be true!!

Anyone had dealings with them?

worth investigating i feel

http://www.devine.com.au/index.html
Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:38 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A newly built house with no deposit??

Originally posted by podgypossum
Heard an advert for this company on the radio today. It sounds too good to be true!!

Anyone had dealings with them?

worth investigating i feel

http://www.devine.com.au/index.html

Yes podggypossum i know it sounds too good to be true, but in OZ they often do this to get you into the outer suburbs. The only thing to be concerned about is the inclusions. Make sure you know what you get and get exactley what you want! They can be crafty with not telling you all of what is included and often you end up paying more. It pays to do your homework. You can also apply for a grant of $7000 if you are a first time home buyer, though i think you have to wait for two yrs if you are an immigrant though i wouldn't quote me on that one.

We are moving back to oz in september this year and are planning to build as well. WE went out last yr and did a far bit of homework, working out what was included in the price and what comes as extras. Sometimes it is cheaper to have your own builder and design your own, but visit lots of display homes before you decide on which company to build with.

Hope this answers your queries.
Kate
Old Feb 11th 2004, 7:44 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Low or no downpayment mortgage = mortgage insurance = higher monthly mortgage payment.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

" They can be crafty with not telling you all of what is included and often you end up paying more. It pays to do your homework."

Hi Kate,
Just wanted to ask if you could elaborate on the inclusions - how much attention to detail to we need to pay and what sort of things do they try to skimp on?
Larissa
Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:44 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
" They can be crafty with not telling you all of what is included and often you end up paying more. It pays to do your homework."

Hi Kate,
Just wanted to ask if you could elaborate on the inclusions - how much attention to detail to we need to pay and what sort of things do they try to skimp on?
Larissa
You gotta scrutinize everything with a magnifying glass.

eg if you go inside and shut the door and still feel the warmth of the sun make sure theres a roof
Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:59 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Larissa

Hi Kate,
Larissa
You must know how it works. They have a model house on display...it includes all the optional extras...they have a sign out front...

"The Pommie Bungalow III from only $89,000"

You go inside and it is smashing...gold taps...jacuzzi...sauna...butler...all for $89,000???

They skimp on nothing...you pay for everything...
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Florida_03
You must know how it works. They have a model house on display...it includes all the optional extras...they have a sign out front...

"The Pommie Bungalow III from only $89,000"

You go inside and it is smashing...gold taps...jacuzzi...sauna...butler...all for $89,000???

They skimp on nothing...you pay for everything...
Yeah, I went through that. Then went and asked the salesman exactly how much was the house on display, and it was near twice the basic price.!!

Devine Homes are a pretty large company, so probably safe to buy from. They will arrange loans of 110% of the cost ( I think), so covering everything you need to pay for. House & Land, Stamp Duty etc.

Dont forget that the show house prices DO NOT include the cost of the Land !! Nor the cost of land preparations.

I got one quote: $170,000 for the house, $220,000 for the land, and when I pushed for an all up price, was told to allow an extra $30-50,000 for land preparations and other incedentals.

Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Companies like Devine can be a good option if you would otherwise not be able to get on the housing ladder - but you will definitely pay for the privilege. I was thinking of building a couple of units (to rent out) and checked out Devine and quite a few other builders. Yes, this one company did include everything you needed (carpets, window treatments etc) but they charged like a wounded bull. Other companies gave fewer inclusions , but if you built with someone else and then bought your own carpets, curtains etc it worked out cheaper. Of course, there is a lot to be said for moving into a place where all the hard work has been done, especially if money is tight and you won't otherwise be able to afford carpets etc. I also believe that they provide the finance, which was more expensive than other lenders (although you could always re-finance later down the track, once you had some equity). adelaidegirl
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:53 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
I also believe that they provide the finance, which was more expensive than other lenders (although you could always re-finance later down the track, once you had some equity). adelaidegirl
Unfortunately alot of people took this option of more expensive finance back in the 80s & early 90s just so that they could own their own home. Then when interest rates skyrocketed, mortgage payments shot through the roof & house prices crashed plenty of people got burnt.

Not much fun paying off a 110% loan on a property thats worth 30% less than when you bought it. And since most of these estates are on the outskirts of the cities, where real estate prices are normaly the first to drop & usually drop the most, its not such an unlikely scenario.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:19 pm
Merlot

Default Camping

I stil think tents are the way to go . . . .
Merlot!