Reload this Page >

Newcastle (what's it like)

Newcastle (what's it like)

Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newcastle (what's it like)

Hi guys,

We are in the processing of obtaining a visa and like many brits have never actually been to Australia. We did intend to move to Brisbane but a friend of my parents lives in Newcastle and has said he can get my husband a lot of work.

What's Newcastle like??????????

I know its like asking "how long is a piece of string" but I don't recall many people saying anything about Newcastle - more Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide. Any suggestions? We have a four year old son.

Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle (what's it like)

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Hi guys,

We are in the processing of obtaining a visa and like many brits have never actually been to Australia. We did intend to move to Brisbane but a friend of my parents lives in Newcastle and has said he can get my husband a lot of work.

I know its like asking "how long is a piece of string" but I don't recall many people saying anything about Newcastle - more Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide. Any suggestions? We have a four year old son.

There was a thread on this 2 days ago.

G
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks I'll have a search!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I'll have a search!
Here it is

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435266

G
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:23 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

This is also a good post to read about Newcastle.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...36&postcount=1
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

kateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=emmakc1977;4536964]Hi guys,

i imagine it's shite

but then i am from sunderland

derek
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=kateandderek2;4537085]
Hi guys,

i imagine it's shite

but then i am from sunderland

derek

Bl**dy makem!.....Hang on...what am I saying...I'm a soppy soft southerner!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Hi guys,

We think Newcastle is fantastic. And by Newcastle I would include Lake Macquarie, the Hunter Valley and even up to Port Stephens. Apart from the foreshore area, and maybe the "town" beaches, a few nice landmarks and Darby Street the centre of Newcastle doesn't have a lot going for it and parts of it are down right ugly. But - there is more to the area than the city centre (just as well really) and I even like seeing the coal ships out to sea waiting to come into the harbour. I could go on for ages - but I won't - we have been here over 3 years and found it to be a big country town with almost everything we need and if we need something else we drive down to Sydney for the day. We have great beaches, good schools, hospitals, university and tafes, close to lake and vineyards, and I think our entertainment and music scene is pretty good - you don't have to go far for a local live band.
So in a nutshell, yes it has its faults, but where doesn't.
Julie
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Well thanks guys - think from the sounds of it we might go ahead with our original plan of Brisbane. My whole family are emigrating and my parents friends (who are from Newcastle) have said they can get us loads of work (hubbie is a sparkie and dad/brother are builders). Think mum is trying to sway me to Newcastle as she thinks it'll be easier for work contacts etc.

Thanks for taking the time to post - I did chuckle at the link of the thread with all the aggro!

Ems
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:18 am
Wirral to Lake Macquarie

andy170773 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello all, well in my opinion newcastle is great, close to hunter, lake, beaches, not too far to sydney some beautiful places to visit!! going off the track, to nikki and macquarie, have just been into warners bay, and the last friday night band is on 30th march, so if we were to meet up it would have to be this friday or next friday
jenny
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

electricbaby27 will become famous soon enoughelectricbaby27 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by andy170773
hello all, well in my opinion newcastle is great, close to hunter, lake, beaches, not too far to sydney some beautiful places to visit!! going off the track, to nikki and macquarie, have just been into warners bay, and the last friday night band is on 30th march, so if we were to meet up it would have to be this friday or next friday
jenny

Hi Jenny
We would love to join the meet.
Caz
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:26 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a cold city on the North East coast of England famous for it's pub & club scene, Brown Ale, an underachieving football team, the bridge, a bunch of tv bricklayers, easy women and folk who smurke tabs.

Not worth the 2 year visa wait in my opinion ... (Well there's two that are )

Hope this helps.