British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Newcastle (what's it like) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/newcastle-whats-like-435900/)

emmakc1977 Mar 20th 2007 7:16 am

Newcastle (what's it like)

Hi guys,

We are in the processing of obtaining a visa and like many brits have never actually been to Australia. We did intend to move to Brisbane but a friend of my parents lives in Newcastle and has said he can get my husband a lot of work.

What's Newcastle like??????????

I know its like asking "how long is a piece of string" but I don't recall many people saying anything about Newcastle - more Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide. Any suggestions? We have a four year old son.

Grayling Mar 20th 2007 7:17 am

Re: Newcastle (what's it like)

Originally Posted by emmakc1977 (Post 4536964)
Hi guys,

We are in the processing of obtaining a visa and like many brits have never actually been to Australia. We did intend to move to Brisbane but a friend of my parents lives in Newcastle and has said he can get my husband a lot of work.

I know its like asking "how long is a piece of string" but I don't recall many people saying anything about Newcastle - more Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide. Any suggestions? We have a four year old son.

There was a thread on this 2 days ago.

G

emmakc1977 Mar 20th 2007 7:18 am

Thanks I'll have a search!

Grayling Mar 20th 2007 7:18 am

Originally Posted by emmakc1977 (Post 4536969)
Thanks I'll have a search!

Here it is

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435266

G

Deer Hunter Mar 20th 2007 7:23 am

This is also a good post to read about Newcastle.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...36&postcount=1

kateandderek2 Mar 20th 2007 8:24 am

[QUOTE=emmakc1977;4536964]Hi guys,

i imagine it's shite

but then i am from sunderland

derek

windog Mar 20th 2007 9:02 am

[QUOTE=kateandderek2;4537085]

Hi guys,

i imagine it's shite

but then i am from sunderland

derek

Bl**dy makem!.....Hang on...what am I saying...I'm a soppy soft southerner!:D

Macquarie Mar 20th 2007 7:43 pm

Hi guys,

We think Newcastle is fantastic. And by Newcastle I would include Lake Macquarie, the Hunter Valley and even up to Port Stephens. Apart from the foreshore area, and maybe the "town" beaches, a few nice landmarks and Darby Street the centre of Newcastle doesn't have a lot going for it and parts of it are down right ugly. But - there is more to the area than the city centre (just as well really) and I even like seeing the coal ships out to sea waiting to come into the harbour. I could go on for ages - but I won't - we have been here over 3 years and found it to be a big country town with almost everything we need and if we need something else we drive down to Sydney for the day. We have great beaches, good schools, hospitals, university and tafes, close to lake and vineyards, and I think our entertainment and music scene is pretty good - you don't have to go far for a local live band.
So in a nutshell, yes it has its faults, but where doesn't.
Julie

emmakc1977 Mar 20th 2007 9:48 pm

Well thanks guys - think from the sounds of it we might go ahead with our original plan of Brisbane. My whole family are emigrating and my parents friends (who are from Newcastle) have said they can get us loads of work (hubbie is a sparkie and dad/brother are builders). Think mum is trying to sway me to Newcastle as she thinks it'll be easier for work contacts etc.

Thanks for taking the time to post - I did chuckle at the link of the thread with all the aggro!

Ems:thumbup:

andy170773 Mar 21st 2007 1:18 am

hello all, well in my opinion newcastle is great, close to hunter, lake, beaches, not too far to sydney some beautiful places to visit!! going off the track, to nikki and macquarie, have just been into warners bay, and the last friday night band is on 30th march, so if we were to meet up it would have to be this friday or next friday
jenny

electricbaby27 Mar 21st 2007 3:51 am

Originally Posted by andy170773 (Post 4540599)
hello all, well in my opinion newcastle is great, close to hunter, lake, beaches, not too far to sydney some beautiful places to visit!! going off the track, to nikki and macquarie, have just been into warners bay, and the last friday night band is on 30th march, so if we were to meet up it would have to be this friday or next friday
jenny

Hi Jenny
We would love to join the meet.
Caz

Three Legs Mar 21st 2007 4:26 am

It's a cold city on the North East coast of England famous for it's pub & club scene, Brown Ale, an underachieving football team, the bridge, a bunch of tv bricklayers, easy women and folk who smurke tabs.

Not worth the 2 year visa wait in my opinion ... (Well there's two that are :p )

Hope this helps.