Newcastle

Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Tarrin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newcastle

Hey,
I am moving to Newcastle with my family (wife and 2 daughters 3 and 1).

Anyone here live there, can help us with the best area to look to live in. I am working at the Uni.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle

Originally Posted by Tarrin
Hey,

Anyone here live there, can help us with the best area to look to live in. I am working at the Uni.
Try doing a search. Questions about Newcastle crop up frequently and it has been discussed many times in some detail.

You should find a lot of information and can then ask more specific questions.

G
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:54 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

Like Mr Grayling said - there appears to be a bot on here about Newy... having said that I can give you my perspecitve of it.

I'm an Australian who grew up a little north of Newcastle (about 200 miles north) but went to University there and can comment on the city. althgouh my place is about an hour further south (Terrigal) I have two brothers that live there and spend lots of time there!

It is a great city - one of the best in my opinion, it is large enough to have everything you need without being massively busy or over-populated. You will see from other posts that there are lots of great beacher, restaurants, its close to the national parks and Watagan state forest, its less than an hour from the vineyards of the Hunter Valley and within easy reach of both Sydney and the mid-north coast. You can easily get to Sydney for a concert or event, but then again you can easily get to the mid-north coast for a weekend on the beach.

But what sets Newcastle apart for me is that it is still like a big town! Ie there is one major local newspaper (Newcastle Herald) and one major football team (Newcastle Knights), one radio station, you can still walk down the street and bump into people that you know, there are key restaurants and pubs that everyone knows and there is this real sense of community spirit! Everyone folows the same football team (well, almost everyone) and listens to the same radio station - it gives it this real community feel that you don't get in massive cities like Sydney where you're just another guy on the train. It sounds stupid but you'll understand after a few months.

I can only explain it as being like the snow - when you go skiing everyone is there in that resort for the same reason, they all love the sno, love skiing and so you automatically have something in common with everyone. Make sense!?!

If you have any questions about Newy then PM me or post another message - and I'll try to answer them!

Andy

P.S. (You'll love Newcastle Uni its one of the best and has a great reputation - what will you be doing there, I used to do some lecturing and when I go back if I get back into it i might see you around campus)
Old Jun 28th 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth I live just outside of newcastle and I think it's great - did you have any particular questions?
it's late at the moment and I've had more than a couple of drinks....
Great place to be though! What are you doing at the uni?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:04 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Esperanza,

I have seen your posts on here a few times!! Didn't know you were in the Hunter!!

When I move back to Terrigal (Central Coast) in a few weeks I'll be taking up a job in Cessnock.

I used to live on a vineyard in pokolbin, on the road between Cessnock and the airport!

where are you at?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Tarrin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza
For what it's worth I live just outside of newcastle and I think it's great - did you have any particular questions?
it's late at the moment and I've had more than a couple of drinks....
Great place to be though! What are you doing at the uni?
hey guys, cheers for the rapid response.
I have a research post at the uni in chemistry.
I will get some questions together and post them.
Am not so much worried about the move as such, as i know the ppl i will be working with, and we have moved continents before. Mainly i am looking at what areas i should be looking to move to (family oreintated), schools and such things...

I'll get back with a list.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:01 am
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tarrin
Hey,

As said above it is a great place, you won't be disappointed. Working at the uni gives you lots of options with where to live.
If you wan't urban you have the city suburbs as Hamilton, Cooks Hill, Merewether, Bar Beach, Honeysuckle etc. You'll be heading in the opposite direction of the traffic going to the uni.
If you wan't rural you have the Hunter valley
The north + western side of Lake Macquarie is always great (cause I live there!)
You are reasonably close to some of the new developments offering house+land packages
Lots more good places than I mentioned, but there are also lots of suburbs that don't offer much of interest beyond being in a practical location. Nothing bad really, just that when you have moved halfway around the world you tend to look for something you can get excited about.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
Esperanza,

I have seen your posts on here a few times!! Didn't know you were in the Hunter!!

When I move back to Terrigal (Central Coast) in a few weeks I'll be taking up a job in Cessnock.

I used to live on a vineyard in pokolbin, on the road between Cessnock and the airport!

where are you at?
Whhhoooooo!!! Finally someone moving to Cessnock!! I live there!

I'm Nikki by the way - what line of work will you be doing in Cessnock?

Which Vineyard did you live on? I am having a house built overlooking the Kelman Vineyard.

FWIW I love it in Cessnock, the Vineyards on the doorstep, close enough to Sydney, beaches at Port Stephens, Newcastle.....could go on and on...

Nikki

Last edited by Nikki; Jun 29th 2007 at 7:32 am.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:04 am
Aussie lost in the UK

Hi Nikki,

I am a Town Planner - used to work in Cessnock Council about 5 years ago then moved to Central Coast and then the UK!

When I return I will be working in Cessnock - but will actually be living on the Central Coast and commuting everyday - will be working for one of the Town Planning Consultancy firms in Cessnock!

Kelman is nice - great place for a house! I used to live on a vineyard called Cottage Grove - it is on the raod to Branxton - I was told a year or two ago that it was bought by developers and the vineyard is now gone??? As yo were heading out of town it was the first vineyard on the left with a white roofed house up on the hill! We used to produce about 70 tonnes of wine grapes each year and they were sold to Draytons Family Wines on Oakey Creek Road - if you live in the area you will know at least one of the Draytons - they seem to own half the valley!!

What do you do in Cessnock? Its a small place so I'm guessing we'll run into each other somewhere along the line!! there was another poster on here ( Esperanza) who has her home listed as Hunter Valley Vineyards Area so she can't be too far away either!!

Andy
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nikki,

I am a Town Planner - used to work in Cessnock Council about 5 years ago then moved to Central Coast and then the UK!

When I return I will be working in Cessnock - but will actually be living on the Central Coast and commuting everyday - will be working for one of the Town Planning Consultancy firms in Cessnock!

Kelman is nice - great place for a house! I used to live on a vineyard called Cottage Grove - it is on the raod to Branxton - I was told a year or two ago that it was bought by developers and the vineyard is now gone??? As yo were heading out of town it was the first vineyard on the left with a white roofed house up on the hill! We used to produce about 70 tonnes of wine grapes each year and they were sold to Draytons Family Wines on Oakey Creek Road - if you live in the area you will know at least one of the Draytons - they seem to own half the valley!!

What do you do in Cessnock? Its a small place so I'm guessing we'll run into each other somewhere along the line!! there was another poster on here ( Esperanza) who has her home listed as Hunter Valley Vineyards Area so she can't be too far away either!!

Andy
Hi Andy

I have met Esperanza once, she is lovely and lives over East Maitland way. I am working as a Teachers Aide at Cessnock District Learning Centre and also do admin work for them.

I have been to Draytons on Oakey Creek Road when they had a family day earlier in the Summer.

There are quite a few members on here who are living at the Central Coast. In fact there is a meet in Belmont in July for Newcastle, surrounding areas and Central Coast members.

How long until you return home?

Nikki
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:17 am
Aussie lost in the UK

Well its a long story really! I went to Uni in Newcastle and then lived out cessnock way (on the vineyard) for about 6 years whilst I worked at Council. Moved to Terrigal on the Central Coast about 5 years ago and moved to the UK 3 years ago.
My girlfriend is Enlgish and I am autralian but by some lucky stroke we are both dual citizens (my mum is English, her mum is Australian) so we can come and go from each country as we please!
We return to Australia end of August but will stay with my parents for a few weeks (Taree) - I start my new job in Cessnock first week of October so by then we should be settled into our new place on the Central Coast - we want to go back there because we have friends there and its close to Sydney and there is nothing like having a place opposite the beach!!
My girlfriend is a Primary School teacher (infants) so not too far away from your industry.
I actually started on this forum looking for shipping companies to move my stuff back to Australia but have found lots of people moving to the central coast/newscastle area and have been trying to help them by providing advice on schools, places to live etc. Plus, it keeps me out of trouble at work without actually having to do anythign productive!

Sorry for hijacking this post by the way!! Whoops!!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Well its a long story really! I went to Uni in Newcastle and then lived out cessnock way (on the vineyard) for about 6 years whilst I worked at Council. Moved to Terrigal on the Central Coast about 5 years ago and moved to the UK 3 years ago.
My girlfriend is Enlgish and I am autralian but by some lucky stroke we are both dual citizens (my mum is English, her mum is Australian) so we can come and go from each country as we please!
We return to Australia end of August but will stay with my parents for a few weeks (Taree) - I start my new job in Cessnock first week of October so by then we should be settled into our new place on the Central Coast - we want to go back there because we have friends there and its close to Sydney and there is nothing like having a place opposite the beach!!
My girlfriend is a Primary School teacher (infants) so not too far away from your industry.
I actually started on this forum looking for shipping companies to move my stuff back to Australia but have found lots of people moving to the central coast/newscastle area and have been trying to help them by providing advice on schools, places to live etc. Plus, it keeps me out of trouble at work without actually having to do anythign productive!

Sorry for hijacking this post by the way!! Whoops!!
Good luck with your move Andy. Maybe see you around Cessnock!! LOL

To the OP, Newcastle is a great area, I went on a trip with the kids from my school yesterday to see the Pasha Bulka and shipwrecks at Stockton Beach.

If you need any help with areas around the Vineyards, I will be happy to help.

Nikki