Reload this Page >

Newbies - gettine to know you

Newbies - gettine to know you

Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

krissy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbies - gettine to know you

Originally posted by Funky Chicken
I wish I really knew why I wanted to emmigrate! I have been trying to work it out and justify my decision but somehow it eludes me. I guess I just need a change. I could simply change job but somehow that is not radical enough. I guess I need a big goal to work to, something to get excited about. Australia looks to be as good a bet as any.

Anyway, the skills assesment will be posted on Monday and then the long wait. Still, gives me and the family time to get use to the idea.
I know what you mean about justifying your decision. I know that when we were telling family and friends about our plans we felt as if we had to explain our decision and justify it to them in a way they would agree with. Listening to what we were saying it must have sounded sooooo flaky. Well.....erm.....the weather's better, better way of life, new start for us and the boys etc, etc.
However, after many conversations like that I have come to the conclusion that, it doesn't really matter what others think or if your not entirely sure for your reasons. You know why you're doing it....it just feels right. We want to do this for us and the boys. Going through the ordeal of applying in the first place is enough to put off anyone who hasn't got what it takes!
It's just so nice to have the support of you guys on the forum.
I log in at work (though i will offically deny that!)so my husband just gets second hand tales of Podgypossum, Badgers and WBB to name but a few. He's quite jealous actually!
Kris
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Funky Chicken is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by krissy
I know what you mean about justifying your decision. I know that when we were telling family and friends about our plans we felt as if we had to explain our decision and justify it to them in a way they would agree with. Listening to what we were saying it must have sounded sooooo flaky. Well.....erm.....the weather's better, better way of life, new start for us and the boys etc, etc.
However, after many conversations like that I have come to the conclusion that, it doesn't really matter what others think or if your not entirely sure for your reasons. You know why you're doing it....it just feels right. We want to do this for us and the boys. Going through the ordeal of applying in the first place is enough to put off anyone who hasn't got what it takes!
It's just so nice to have the support of you guys on the forum.
I log in at work (though i will offically deny that!)so my husband just gets second hand tales of Podgypossum, Badgers and WBB to name but a few. He's quite jealous actually!
Kris
I am dreading telling the family. Not sure when to do it. I was going to wait until my ACS skills assesment had been processed. I can see my mum taking the decision as some kind of personal attack or something. She can get a little paranoid about this sort of thing. I agree with you, in that you need to make the decision for yourself, partner and kids and just hope that everybody elso is cool with the idea. I think the whole process is likely to take up a large part of my life for some time to come so it's graet to have a forum to talk to other people in similar positions.

Funky Chicken.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:26 am
Just Joined

DawnBlayney is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Hi all!

Great timing with this thread - we just got our visas in the post yesterday, we went to Aus last April for an exploratory visit, and loved it, applied for nursing skills assessment in July, got that in September, applied for visa in October, and heard before Christmas that we'd got that, and the passports came back yesterday, thankful that it's been so quick! so after all that organising we're now putting house up for sale, etc, and really don't what we're doing or what way to turn at the minute!
There seems so much to do, and my Mother's not helping! She is polite about it superficially, but very distant, and always pointing out the worst that could happen, and all the negative things she's ever heard about Australia. But we know it will be worth it. We need to sell house before we go, but want to go asap if we can. A big thanks to all on this forum, your info is really helpful - Thanks!
Dawn
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

[
Left London 2yrs ago after marrying a New Zealander. (second marriage). Headed for Auckland leaving my grown up daughters and grandkids behind as they didnt want to come (hardest thing i ever did).

Never had any yearnings to leave the UK until i met my husband, and the only reason i left was to give him some time back home with his family after 12yrs away from them.
Hated Auckland from day one, and things never really improved, i just sort of settled in. We bought abeautiful home and i did love it, just hated Auckland.

Husband came home from work one day saying there wer eopportunities in Australia and he hated being back in NZ as much as i did. Once he got offered a job (they offered it to him two days after a phone interview!!)
Then we were on a rollercoaster ride to get over here. I am still unable to work because i have no residence status yet. Aplpication is being processed, but i reckon it will be long wait...but who cares..i'm here anyway!

Best thing we ever did!... love it in Adelaide.. dont want to go anywhere else [/QUOTE]

OMG as I'm over 44 ...you mean I've got to divorce- and marry an Aussie to get to Oz!! Sounds a bit drastic but I'll give it a go.......
better look the ex boy friend up, he's in Oz.... ...no that won't work just remembered he has a wife and 3 kids....!

Helinuk
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Hi all!

Originally posted by DawnBlayney
Great timing with this thread - we just got our visas in the post yesterday, we went to Aus last April for an exploratory visit, and loved it, applied for nursing skills assessment in July, got that in September, applied for visa in October, and heard before Christmas that we'd got that, and the passports came back yesterday, thankful that it's been so quick! so after all that organising we're now putting house up for sale, etc, and really don't what we're doing or what way to turn at the minute!
There seems so much to do, and my Mother's not helping! She is polite about it superficially, but very distant, and always pointing out the worst that could happen, and all the negative things she's ever heard about Australia. But we know it will be worth it. We need to sell house before we go, but want to go asap if we can. A big thanks to all on this forum, your info is really helpful - Thanks!
Dawn
Understand what you mean about the mum bit! I am only going
going to validate and mine is complaining about me being over the other side of the world - despite the fact that I already live more than a few thousand miles away !
Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

DawnBlayney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi all!

Originally posted by debsy
Understand what you mean about the mum bit! I am only going
going to validate and mine is complaining about me being over the other side of the world - despite the fact that I already live more than a few thousand miles away !
Hi Debsy - that seems strange - you'd have thought she'd be used to you being away! I keep getting the "We're getting older you know - and won't be able to travel - it'll be up to you to come home to see us!" which makes me feel guilty as after moving so far, I'd like to see round the other side of the world on my holidays and I don't intend to come home often, though haven't told her that of course. My Dad's fine, will miss us but wants what's best for us which is nice! Maybe with a bit more time your Mum will get used to the idea?
Dawn
Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

I am also a newbie !
My sister met and married an australian 10 years ago and moved to Hobart, Tasmania.
We went to visit a couple of times and just fell in love with the place.
My husband and I are in our late twenties with no kids and we though the timing was good.
We put off the idea for two years as I got a training job as a theatre practitioner and we had been told that this would mean I could get a job really easily. Have almost finished my training now but have just found out that Tasmania doesnt recognise my qualification ! Luckily we are applying under my husbands skills so will be OK but a bit of a bummer that I gave spent two years slogging and will probably end up doing something completely different when I get there !
We have just sent off our skills assessment and now we wait.
I read the forum everyday and have become obsessed. There seems to be so many of us living from day to day hoping we get in.
I know to some people it might seem like a dream that can never possibly live up to the expectations we have but I AM realistic. It may be a new country but problems you have at home generally follow you. I expect to want to come home on a regular basis to start with but I know that I will be giving my husband and myself a better quality of life. I also want to have kids soon and I know they would get a better upbringing on a place that has the cleanest air in the world, hardly any crime and lovely people.
Anyway sorry for going on - good luck to everyone us !!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:47 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

One year ago....

...We were sitting in our lounge in the throes of a UK winter, watching the rain pour down, the power had just gone off, and then on, and then off again, & both of us had flu & were exuding copious nasal fluids (hope no one's eating their tea ) into those Kleenex with Aloe Vera for sore noses.

It was just like the opening chapter of Gerald Durrell's 'My Family & Other Animals' (my fave book & the best one I've ever read about the trials & tribs of emigrating)....

So we decided there & then to go live in Oz.

Background: 2nd marriage for both of us (there's a lot of that in this forum, isn't here? Wonder why..... ). We'd been there on our honeymoon, I'd been about 6 times for long hols, & we both love it. We also have the oppy. to go live in LA, but decided some time ago that Oz was much more our scene.

So we are STNI & planning on Melbourne. Now waiting for the nice gentlemen of DIMIA to decide if my asthma/me being a bit on the buxom side will fail me the medical (I'm a 'B'). Fingers X'd.

I'm unashamedly addicted to this forum, partly as proof that I am a perfectly normal, worried, stressed out would-be Aussie immigrant who really wants to BE there! Great feeling of comradeship that we're all in the same boat!

The Oz Government should be impressed at all this fervor - they're gonna be getting a great, determined bunch of people!

Anya.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

The Oz Government should be impressed at all this fervor - they're gonna be getting a great, determined bunch of people!

Anya. [/QUOTE]

Well said ANYA and welcome to the forum!