Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Clarification sought over Police Check procedure

Clarification sought over Police Check procedure

Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clarification sought over Police Check procedure

Ok guys & gals, I'm hoping you maybe able to help me out here.

It maybe a bit long winded but please bear with me.

My wife, son and I are 7 months down the line since our acknowledgement from Adelaide. As yet we've heard 'nowt but we didn't expect to.

I've collected the Subject Access forms from my Local Police Force (namely the Isle of Man Constabulary) and am in the process of filling them in.

There are a series of tick boxes ranging from Prosecution / Conviction History to Stolen/ Suspect Vehicles / Property. I presume we are to tick all boxes in order for the Police National Computer to run a complete check ?

Do we have to fill a form out for our son bearing in mind he's only 13 months old and to the best of my knowledge hasn't yet been involved with the criminal underworld ! ?

Now this is where it becomes slightly complicated.

I received a caution for a minor offence whilst at University in Preston back in 1995. I contacted Lancashire Police to see if this would still show on my record when it came to having my Police Checks done for Australia. A very helpful man in their Data Protection Office advised me to append a letter to the Isle of Man Police with our completed Subject Access Forms advising them of my caution.

He went onto say and this is the bit I need clarification on...that I should ask in my letter to the Isle of Man Police for them to ensure New Scotland Yard have my caution "Weeded Off" (his words), as the offence was over five years old.

Moving on from this and say this does happen, what do we get back from the Police here ?

I mean what exactly is the document we send back to Australia ? Is this the form that comes back from your Local Police Force or New Scotland Yard ?

Can somebody tell me what you get back from the Police and what it states. I want to be sure that whatever goes to Australia I have seen first for obvious reasons.

Yours confused.

Three Legs
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:28 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Just tick the box that says "Prosicution / Conviction History"

You send off the form that comes back from NSY, which I have attached for you to have a look at.
Attached Thumbnails Clarification sought over Police Check procedure-police-check.jpg  
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Clarification sought over Police Check procedure

Originally posted by Three Legs

There are a series of tick boxes ranging from Prosecution / Conviction History to Stolen/ Suspect Vehicles / Property. I presume we are to tick all boxes in order for the Police National Computer to run a complete check ?

The only thing they're interested in is the "Prosecution/ Conviction History"

Do we have to fill a form out for our son bearing in mind he's only 13 months old and to the best of my knowledge hasn't yet been involved with the criminal underworld ! ?

NO, it's only for over 16's

Moving on from this and say this does happen, what do we get back from the Police here ?

IF you've been a good boy........ypu'll get a single piece of paper that states "NO record found"

I mean what exactly is the document we send back to Australia ? Is this the form that comes back from your Local Police Force or New Scotland Yard ?

You'll only get the one piece of paper.....all information collated onto the one

Can somebody tell me what you get back from the Police and what it states. I want to be sure that whatever goes to Australia I have seen first for obvious reasons.

The reply is posted to you and you only..........whether you forward to your agent or direct to ASPC is up to you

Hope that helps
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

Steve,

That's brilliant cheers.

I just hope the caution is "weeded off" and my record comes back clean.

I take it you just forward that form onto Adelaide ?

Thanks again.

Three Legs
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Rossi,

Big thanks to you also.

Been worrying me for yonks all this.

Regards

Three Legs
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:38 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Three Legs
Steve,

That's brilliant cheers.

I just hope the caution is "weeded off" and my record comes back clean.

I take it you just forward that form onto Adelaide ?

Thanks again.

Three Legs
Yes, you sent it straight to Adelaide.

Oh, and just to wind you up.....I got my police check done in 2 days! Handed it in to the police station on the 6th, got it back dated the 8th !
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:42 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve,

That was quick! Where did you send it to?

TOB

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Yes, you sent it straight to Adelaide.

Oh, and just to wind you up.....I got my police check done in 2 days! Handed it in to the police station on the 6th, got it back dated the 8th !
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:47 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Originally posted by TOB
Hi Steve,

That was quick! Where did you send it to?

TOB
Like I said, I handed it in to the local police station in Hornchurch on the 6th, they verified my ID, gave me a reciept for the £10 and sent it on to NSY for me. Got it back on Saturday morning, dated the 8th. Not bad, eh?
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:50 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

Just what I wanted to hear!

I took ours to Essex police on Friday and received the receipt yesterday to say it had been passed on to NSY.

Let's hope ours is as quick!

Have you had your meds yet?

TOB

Like I said, I handed it in to the local police station in Hornchurch on the 6th, they verified my ID, gave me a reciept for the £10 and sent it on to NSY for me. Got it back on Saturday morning, dated the 8th. Not bad, eh?
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:44 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Originally posted by TOB
Just what I wanted to hear!

I took ours to Essex police on Friday and received the receipt yesterday to say it had been passed on to NSY.

Let's hope ours is as quick!

Have you had your meds yet?

TOB
We're having our medicals done on the 29th.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:52 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

Ours are next Monday and I am beginning to get a bit nervous!!

How long do you think it takes from the meds/police to having the visa actually granted? We will have to wait for a letter or phone call from ASPC as we didn't go through an agent.

Hopefully not too long now.

Good luck!

We're having our medicals done on the 29th.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by TOB
Ours are next Monday and I am beginning to get a bit nervous!!

How long do you think it takes from the meds/police to having the visa actually granted? We will have to wait for a letter or phone call from ASPC as we didn't go through an agent.

Hopefully not too long now.

Good luck!

No need to worry about the meds...........drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney but I still passed

from returning the meds to assuror lodging the AOS to visa issue was about 10 weeks...........see http://www.austimeline.com/austime/a...App.jsp?id=599
Old Jan 14th 2004, 7:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya three Legs,
You need the Prosecution/Conviction History box, cos thats all you'll get on Subject Access.
No, you don't need a form for your kiddie!

The guy in Lancashire is almost certainly right; the offence - as its a caution, and for a minor offence, is very probably spent, and also weedable being from 1995. Hopefully they will weed it BEFORE issuing your police check! Its definately worth writing the letter; the trouble is that the pnc holds so many records that a lot of old and weedable ones are only taken off when they come to notice - theres a good chance that it would be spotted and weeded when they saw your applciation, but writing a letter will make even more certain.
If you get no joy, write to the Commissioner at Scotland Yard and ask for his attention to it.
(for reference, this policy doesn't include sexual or drugs offences)

Think the rest of it has been answered by Steve!
Good luck

Pollyana