Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New or used car?

New or used car?

Old Jul 31st 2003, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Badge. You're right - I think all those modern saloons look rubbish. The wagons all look the same as each other though so it doesn't really matter! The Ford would be my last choice out of the Big 4 wagons. It really is designed for a tall male driver with one arm out the window... hey isn't that PB the Mondeo Man?

Nibbs...I am a Volvo driver too. Just an accident honest. Decided when heavily pregnant that maybe the time had come to trade in the Mini (sob sob) for something family sized. Hence the ancient Volvo 740 wagon. It lasted a year, then bought a not-quite-so-ancient 960 wagon. Love the way other drivers give way to you at intersections though - they (quite rightly) assume Volvo = can't drive and their car will come out of the accident worse off...

We'd love to export it to Oz as it is so comfy with all the bells and whistles but the parts are just too expensive down under. Also insurance is complicated on imports in Oz because of the rules to protect the local market.

The Volvo V70 is popular in Oz but the boot's much smaller and then there's the servicing costs. The build quality is just not as good as the 700/900 series. The engines may still go on forever but the rest of it doesn't...Can get a good spec 1997 model for the same price as a 2000 one of the Big 4 though so it's still a possibility.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

alextoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Used car info from a used car dealer...

Originally posted by Jolyn
My father and two uncles have all been car dealers at different times in Oz. At different ends of the spectrum too - one owned the biggest BMW dealership in the country, another sold used cars on Parramatta Rd in Sydney.

I've had plenty of advice from dad on what car to buy...much of which I'll ignore of course but I'll pass on to you in case you want it...

His tips:

Don't buy anything new. Like in the UK they lose huge amount of their value in first 2 years (even first 2 minutes out of the showroom). As long as your secondhand car costs you less in servicing than the depreciation on the new one would have been you're winning the game...and you might get a really good car with low service costs v the depreciation which is a guaranteed loss when you sell it on...

Everyone loves 4WDs in Oz now (even though noone goes off road) and they hold their value well if bought secondhand but you can't fit as much in the boot as in a big family stationwagon (estate). The Subaru 4WD is well known for reliability.

Most popular big family wagons - known as "The Big 4" Holden Commodore, Ford Falcon (BA not AU model), Toyota Camry and Mitsubishi Magna. I had a Magna wagon in Oz and it was great. Toyotas are very reliable. Commodore and Falcon are bigger (huge luggage space!) and have different driving positions to each other so you need to test drive. In my opinion the Japanese cars have better handling than the Oz cars and are more reliable but you can't beat the Aussie ones for space and cheap parts/servicing.

Get an inspection first from NRMA or RACV or whatever. Plus a REVS check - Register of Encumbered Vehicles - tells you if it's nicked or HP money is owed on it.

Government auctions are good for car buying if you want the basic spec model just a couple of years old.

Buy privately not at dealers as they all charge a whopping mark up and their 'warranties' are practically worthless - anything that might actually breakdown is excluded! The mark up for used cars at authorised dealers for particular brands is even more astonishing...

REVS 02 9633 6333 for ownership check
RACV 13 1955 for breakdown cover and vehicle inspections (Victoria) - NRMA do the same in NSW

Websites:
www.drive.com.au - sales & reviews
www.carsales.com.au - sales
www.redbook.com.au - sales
www.carpoint.com.au - sales
www.mynrma.com.au - reviews

Good luck all.
Exellent links - thanks for that!

Alex
Old Jul 31st 2003, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

alextoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jolyn
Thanks Badge. You're right - I think all those modern saloons look rubbish. The wagons all look the same as each other though so it doesn't really matter! The Ford would be my last choice out of the Big 4 wagons. It really is designed for a tall male driver with one arm out the window... hey isn't that PB the Mondeo Man?

Nibbs...I am a Volvo driver too. Just an accident honest. Decided when heavily pregnant that maybe the time had come to trade in the Mini (sob sob) for something family sized. Hence the ancient Volvo 740 wagon. It lasted a year, then bought a not-quite-so-ancient 960 wagon. Love the way other drivers give way to you at intersections though - they (quite rightly) assume Volvo = can't drive and their car will come out of the accident worse off...

We'd love to export it to Oz as it is so comfy with all the bells and whistles but the parts are just too expensive down under. Also insurance is complicated on imports in Oz because of the rules to protect the local market.

The Volvo V70 is popular in Oz but the boot's much smaller and then there's the servicing costs. The build quality is just not as good as the 700/900 series. The engines may still go on forever but the rest of it doesn't...Can get a good spec 1997 model for the same price as a 2000 one of the Big 4 though so it's still a possibility.
Hi Jolyn

do you happen to know what RWC means?- its mentioned on all the carsales.com sellers info.

and also do you know if you pay any tax if you buy a car off a private person?

Thanks

Alex
Old Jul 31st 2003, 4:44 am
Badge

RoadWorthy Certificate???!!!!

the pink slip?!

not 100 pc sure

Yup - you must pay tax even if you buy privately - hence agree a lower price on the rego papers that you send off to the Road Traffic Authority.

Old Jul 31st 2003, 5:58 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Badgers: I thought you wrote the Mad Max script? (And starred in it as the baddie.) So you must have a Mad Max-mobile?
Old Jul 31st 2003, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alex,

Badge is right on all counts I think. RWC means Road Worthy Certificate. Same as having a current MOT here. Without the RWC you wouldn't be able to get the car registration (expired or not) transferred when you send off for the change of ownership.

In Victoria the info is on the VicRoads site: www.vicroads.vic.gov.au

It says transfer of unexpired registration cost $27.50 fee plus duty of $8 per $200 value of the car. If the car is unregistered (like from a govt auction) there's also another $300 or so in fees I think (inspection, number plates etc) plus the annual rego cost.

The annual registration fee in Victoria is $510.50. I think it's nearer $250 in most other states. Victoria goes for a serious user pays policy on road improvements. Quid pro quo I guess for having good public transport. And for the state having run out of money...
Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:11 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mr mover
And you reckon Commodores are crap ........a mondeo, har ,har , har, ...diesel, har, har ............owned by a F1 fan....har,har god you need to go back to Blairyland real quick.............. MM
I know of a company very near to me in Australia that put its fuel system on a Mondeo because they rate them , they then toured all of Europe trying to con the big boys .
Crapadore or Falcon you buy into trouble , old yank engines that drink fuel and keep the garages in work here.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 31st 2003 at 12:15 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:23 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
I know of a company very near to me in Australia that put its fuel system on a Mondeo because they rate them , they then toured all of Europe trying to con the big boys .
Crapadore or Falcon you buy into trouble , old yank engines that drink fuel and keep the garages in work here.

pb , thats very nice in the sedate U.k country side , if i have to run from here to MARLA {1000km nth of ADELAIDE ] and back in 40 degree heat give me a Holden any day..........its my life ,i,m playing with............. MM
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:56 pm
Badge

the latest Mondeos are fantastic - approaching class leaders - ie. 2002 onwards - the older ones I wouldn't buy. They did however "improve" them I think around 1998.

I thought the Falcon was far superior - more power for a start!!!

badgers

Old Jul 31st 2003, 9:31 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
the latest Mondeos are fantastic - approaching class leaders - ie. 2002 onwards - the older ones I wouldn't buy. They did however "improve" them I think around 1998.

I thought the Falcon was far superior - more power for a start!!!

badgers
two people in oz bought Mondeos, and they were both ford exect,s what europeans percevie as good vehicle, generally don.t shape up in this country.......... MM
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 11:33 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

pb , thats very nice in the sedate U.k country side , if i have to run from here to MARLA {1000km nth of ADELAIDE ] and back in 40 degree heat give me a Holden any day..........its my life ,i,m playing with............. MM
Thats not what most would bother with I have never seen so many 4x4 in my life as in Australia mainly because the roads are shite and you need a tank to get across country.

Old Aug 3rd 2003, 4:59 pm
Banned

two people in oz bought Mondeos, and they were both ford exect,s what europeans percevie as good vehicle, generally don.t shape up in this country.......... MM
Your views about car production in the UK are as good as your taste in cars.

But reports of the industry's demise are exaggerated.

UK car output may have fallen by about 9% last year compared with 2000, but no fewer than 1.5 million still rolled off the production lines.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/746569.stm