Reload this Page >

New TV Compatibility with Australian Digital

New TV Compatibility with Australian Digital

Old May 16th 2006, 11:25 am
Just Joined

GavinH will become famous soon enoughGavinH will become famous soon enough
Question New TV Compatibility with Australian Digital

Hi,

Through insurance, I will be picking a new TV in the next couple of weeks - Lucky Me! However, I am now at the final stages of my visa application, have medicals on Monday and want to pick something that I can ideally take to Oz.

I have established, using previous useful threads, that as long as the TV is compatible with PAL B/G, both picture and sound will work fine but I am struggling to get a TV that fits my requirements but is PAL B/G compatible. However, I would want a digital signal anyway and was wondering if an Australian Digital set-up box would solve all problems? Does anyone have experience or know for sure, if a non PAL B/G compatible TV would work with an Australian Digital Receiver getting both picture and sound

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gavin
Old May 16th 2006, 11:28 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New TV Compatibility with Australian Digital

Yes, connecting up an Australian digibox gets around the PAL compatibility.
Old May 16th 2006, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

GavinH will become famous soon enoughGavinH will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the swift reply and concise answer
Old May 16th 2006, 1:13 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

One of our tvs worked ok here the other is fine via an aussie freeview box !
Old May 16th 2006, 1:25 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Buy an LCD TV and it's likely to be compatible with both systems.
Old May 16th 2006, 1:28 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Buy an LCD TV and it's likely to be compatible with both systems.
ahh the one that works ok , no mods is LCD !
Old May 16th 2006, 1:48 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinH
Hi,

Through insurance, I will be picking a new TV in the next couple of weeks - Lucky Me! However, I am now at the final stages of my visa application, have medicals on Monday and want to pick something that I can ideally take to Oz.

I have established, using previous useful threads, that as long as the TV is compatible with PAL B/G, both picture and sound will work fine but I am struggling to get a TV that fits my requirements but is PAL B/G compatible. However, I would want a digital signal anyway and was wondering if an Australian Digital set-up box would solve all problems? Does anyone have experience or know for sure, if a non PAL B/G compatible TV would work with an Australian Digital Receiver getting both picture and sound

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gavin
Our TV is a UK purchased Toshiba and it supports ALL formats for input (i.e. SECAM, PAL I, PAL B/G, NTSC etc) so therefore these type of TV's do exist.

Perhaps take a closer look at the manafacturers spec. for a specific TV to make sure you get this?

I'm not sure that connecting an Australian digibox to a non-PAL B/G compliant TV will get you around this problem as I thought that the TV would need to be capable of receiving a PAL B/G type signal?

It's the same reason that I need to play my region 1 DVD through my region 1 compatible (NTSC) DVD player and switch the TV into NTSC mode also.
Old May 16th 2006, 4:08 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Our TV is a UK purchased Toshiba and it supports ALL formats for input (i.e. SECAM, PAL I, PAL B/G, NTSC etc) so therefore these type of TV's do exist.

Perhaps take a closer look at the manafacturers spec. for a specific TV to make sure you get this?

I'm not sure that connecting an Australian digibox to a non-PAL B/G compliant TV will get you around this problem as I thought that the TV would need to be capable of receiving a PAL B/G type signal?

It's the same reason that I need to play my region 1 DVD through my region 1 compatible (NTSC) DVD player and switch the TV into NTSC mode also.
It will get round it..... but mostly because you dont connect a digibox through an 'aerial' socket you connect it with Component or RGB - so its Video, Audio Left and Audio Right (at least) (or those weird voodoo YprB etc) so the TV doesnt have to descramble it all thru the cruddy aerial it doesnt get to be Pal B or G it just is audio into the TV and Video into the TV. When you use an aerial socket to connect the picture you are asking the TV to decode it all internally (picture & sound from the aerial) when you use component or RGB you are having it decoded by an external source (the digibox) and that means the TV doesnt have to - it just plays it all. (or some such magik)

There is no reason why a region 1 DVD (US) should not work in a multi region DVD player and play Pal out to your tv so long as your Dvd player was connected via component or scart or rgb cables - ive never heard of anyone having to switch to NTSC to watch a US dvd.... thats weird.

Quite simply -Any TV will work so long as its receiving a signal decoded and converted by a cheap digi box , foxtel (sky) , a dvd player, a dvd recorder, a VCR ,etc ... anything with a tuner in it will pick up aus TV and convert it like that.
Old May 16th 2006, 9:31 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
It will get round it..... but mostly because you dont connect a digibox through an 'aerial' socket you connect it with Component or RGB - so its Video, Audio Left and Audio Right (at least) (or those weird voodoo YprB etc) so the TV doesnt have to descramble it all thru the cruddy aerial it doesnt get to be Pal B or G it just is audio into the TV and Video into the TV. When you use an aerial socket to connect the picture you are asking the TV to decode it all internally (picture & sound from the aerial) when you use component or RGB you are having it decoded by an external source (the digibox) and that means the TV doesnt have to - it just plays it all. (or some such magik)

There is no reason why a region 1 DVD (US) should not work in a multi region DVD player and play Pal out to your tv so long as your Dvd player was connected via component or scart or rgb cables - ive never heard of anyone having to switch to NTSC to watch a US dvd.... thats weird.

Quite simply -Any TV will work so long as its receiving a signal decoded and converted by a cheap digi box , foxtel (sky) , a dvd player, a dvd recorder, a VCR ,etc ... anything with a tuner in it will pick up aus TV and convert it like that.

Thanks, it makes sense to me now. I read it back a couple of times and now it seems blindingly obvious. The signal is carried in the local format and decoded by either an internal or external (i.e. digibox) decoder before the TV itself processes it....I see...

Also, thinking about it, when I bought a region 1 DVD on Amazon it did state that only the DVD player needs to be region 1 compatible...

Cheers.
Old May 16th 2006, 9:48 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Same here. Sony Nicam TV - takes any signal I throw at it.

Still not taking it to Oz though (good excuse to get a new LCD!!! ) *shhhh .. here comes the wife ... *
Old May 16th 2006, 9:50 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Hutch
Same here. Sony Nicam TV - takes any signal I throw at it.

Still not taking it to Oz though (good excuse to get a new LCD!!! ) *shhhh .. here comes the wife ... *
LOL...I must be the lucky one then because my wife is pressuring me to get an LCD/Plasma when we get there....

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; May 16th 2006 at 10:02 pm.