Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New PC or Laptop?

New PC or Laptop?

Old Jun 20th 2006, 8:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New PC or Laptop?

Originally Posted by silversurfer
I think you really get what you pay for.
For example, in my company, we had approx 5000 dell machines in our area we had to support.
We had a nightmare with these machines. The power supply units and motherboards were failing within a week of purchase, as well as stupidly designed usb ports at the front of the machine at a ridiculous angle were causing users to either break their fobs or eventually stress the usb port at the front causing it to eventually fail.
Plus, No one ever seemed to mention that these looked so nasty and cheap, with their cheaply made plastic covers. Although, later when Dell lost the contract, the looks were bought up too, that they looked hideous on the telly.
As a result of this, Dell lost the contract and compaq took over for 2006.

Burgers at Macdonalds are not the best burgers in the world, they're on a mass production line, designed to cater for the masses. Cheap and tasteless.
As a result of this, I ended up wanting to vomit, everytime I saw a Dell advert
On the other end of the scale though, when I saw someone with a Dell XPS laptop, I was drawn to it, beautiful and sexy. However, big bucks, the other end of the scale.

You really get what you pay for.
Totally agree with you - though fortunately I never had to support 5000 of 'em. I used to review PCs (desktops and laptops) for a living and I was always amazed at the ingenuity of the Dell engineers with regard cost-savings. Long before the great cost-cutter that is on-board sound/graphics chipsets appearead, Dell were cutting corners with these grim little daughter-boards. Also agree about the cases - especially the cheaper notebooks which look like horrible grey slabs of pre-formed plastic.
Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New PC or Laptop?

Originally Posted by Hutch
That function utilises the built-in XP burning facility, which is, for the most part, completely shite. Where is the folder located that you can't write to? Give me the path c:/program files/dvd ... or whatever.
The two folders which contain the files are

C:\Program files\GUIforDVDAuthor\Outdir\DVD... AUDIO_TS and VIDEo_TS

Cheers