Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

new in Oz help with costs

new in Oz help with costs

Old Dec 20th 2008, 8:03 am
Just Joined

jolly green is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new in Oz help with costs

Hi me and the wife are new to Australia we have moved into my brothers house till we can get a place of our own does anyone have any idea what we should be giving them a week. I know they do not expect us to pay but I feel I want to help with the general household bills and we have no idea what bills are like over here would $120 a week be about right I dont want to insult them by not being fair. Well our first few days in darwin have been hot and friendly looks like we have had a good move

Jolly
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Re: new in Oz help with costs

Originally Posted by jolly green
Hi me and the wife are new to Australia we have moved into my brothers house till we can get a place of our own does anyone have any idea what we should be giving them a week. I know they do not expect us to pay but I feel I want to help with the general household bills and we have no idea what bills are like over here would $120 a week be about right I dont want to insult them by not being fair. Well our first few days in darwin have been hot and friendly looks like we have had a good move

Jolly
Hi Jolly

welcome to Oz!!! Can't really help with what would be fair to give to your brother as I'm sure as you say he won't expect you to pay, but I can give you a rough idea of the costs to live here. There are only two of us and generally we spend about $150-$180 a week on groceries which includes toiletries and cleaning stuff. Electricity we generally spend $40 per week, we don't have any gas so can't help with that. Water is generally about $120 a quarter so weekly only about $10. Over and above that all the other things will be costs to you like car rego etc. Hope this helps and wishing you all the very best for your new life in Oz.

Nikki
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Redhotsummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am new here in Oz too! My hubby and I are living in a lovley little suburb near Perth City in Western Australia.

We are living in my brothers house with his wife and 3 kids (all teens) felt that we should offer them $100 a week for food, $50 a week for the room and $20 a week for utilities.

So, we offered my brother $170 a week and he refused. He was just so very appreciative that we made the offer. Or course this lead to siblings arguing and we settled on the sum of $110 a week

Hope this helps lol
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:12 am
Just Joined

jolly green is an unknown quantity at this point

yep it does I was thinking of around the $140 a week cheaper then renting and it helps us both out as I know they work hard for there money he would not ask for a penny I know but I feel its damn right rude to just not pay anything at all I dont know how anyone could do that and still feel comfortable to stay thank you guys you have been a real help
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

We lived with my Aunt & Uncle for 3 months. What we agreed with them was that we would pay half of any bills that came in. We also had a shopping pot that we & them used to put $100 in and when it ran out, we put in another $100. We used to buy extra stuff and our own toiletries too. It worked out quite well. They are pensioners too so they had discounts off all their bills

Don't think you realise just how expensive living can be here until you move in to your own place and start doing your own shopping & that...
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we just do a food 'kitty' when we have anyone staying. I put in my maximum spend for the week in and guests add to it. When it's done it's done cause basically, we can't afford to spend anymore than we do.

Although people say they don't want anything, things like filling up the petrol tank or buying in some groceries, a case of beer/wine etc will go a long way even when you are putting in money cause lets face it, your outgoings when you are in your own place will be way more!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Dec 20th 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Forgot to add that when ever we stayed with them we used to buy them something they wouldn't buy themselves......so last year, for example we bought them a TFT monitor for their computer. After we stayed with them for the 3 months, we bought them a holiday voucher....think they probably needed the break.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jolly green

Jolly
Its very simple, sit them down and ask them!