Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New and need advice please

New and need advice please

Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:16 am
Just Joined

jothomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New and need advice please

Hi , I'm new to this site and after looking at Dubai initially for emigration, it seems that Oz might be better option. Only just began to look so not got a clue about where is good to go and how to go about it and how long process takes. I am registered midwife in UK so would be looking for employment in hospital out there. I would like to practice the same as I do here in uk, where I provide all cares for women and deliver their babies, not the doctor unless a problem occurs. I do not want to be an obstetric nurse just yet lol!!!! Can anyone give me any advice please and as much info as possible or any sites/ links for me to check out.

jo
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:34 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and need advice please

Originally Posted by jothomp
Hi , I'm new to this site and after looking at Dubai initially for emigration, it seems that Oz might be better option. Only just began to look so not got a clue about where is good to go and how to go about it and how long process takes. I am registered midwife in UK so would be looking for employment in hospital out there. I would like to practice the same as I do here in uk, where I provide all cares for women and deliver their babies, not the doctor unless a problem occurs. I do not want to be an obstetric nurse just yet lol!!!! Can anyone give me any advice please and as much info as possible or any sites/ links for me to check out.

jo
This section of the forum might be a good place to start:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

It's a section of the forum devoted to your profession...

Hope this helps, Jen
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Check out both the Immi Forum and the Nursing Forum. There's obviously stacks to consider, including why you want to move away in the first place. If you know little about Aus then obviously loads of research needs doing as many people decide to move over to 'escape' perceived UK problems, only to find that the same issues exist for them here. Not saying that's you, but worth bearing in mind. However, if you're after a bit of excitement and adventure then go for it and good luck. The best place to start is the DIAC site to work out the best way of getting a visa.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothomp
I would like to practice the same as I do here in uk, where I provide all cares for women and deliver their babies, not the doctor unless a problem occurs. I do not want to be an obstetric nurse just yet lol!!!!
Australia may not be the best place for you then.

Try doing a search on midwifery in Australia

G
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Australia may not be the best place for you then.

Try doing a search on midwifery in Australia

G
Would agree!
They are not so forward thinking in terms of nurses having responsibility in making decisions here & I understand that this is very much the case in midwifery.
Have a good look at the forums suggested previously & try to contact some midwives already here to see what they have to say!