Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A New Life Down Under

A New Life Down Under

Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:58 am
Member who went to Aus

cutgrass is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure that the house prices were in sterling? I could have sworn that they were dollars.

Land price aside - if they want £70k to build that house then I think that's expensive.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cutgrass
Are you sure that the house prices were in sterling? I could have sworn that they were dollars.

Land price aside - if they want £70k to build that house then I think that's expensive.
Definitely stg and it was £90K for the house and £70K for the land. Why do you think £90K is expensive for a double storey house with what was it - 4 or 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a couple of living areas etc. You would hear them say that £160K for the house and land package was less than the house they sold in Swansea which was less than half the size?

OzTennis
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:06 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

It did make a change this week, didn't it? But no doubt people switched over because there were none of the fireworks of the previous week.

One thing on the possum problem...Mr Bundy and I were watching the 'Wild DOwn Under' dvd the other night and there is a short feature on possums at the end, bit of a David Attenborough thing. He suggested the 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em method' - instead of chasing the little blighters away, you attach a possum box to the side of your house (he suggested against a window) so that they have somewhere to live that isn't in your roof space, and you can watch them going about their possum business. Great for kids.

We had a possum in our roof in Oz. If you think a mouse is noisy, imagine a possum thundering up and down! He didn't do much damage, just made a real noise and fell of the electricity cable of a few times
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
It did make a change this week, didn't it? But no doubt people switched over because there were none of the fireworks of the previous week.

One thing on the possum problem...Mr Bundy and I were watching the 'Wild DOwn Under' dvd the other night and there is a short feature on possums at the end, bit of a David Attenborough thing. He suggested the 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em method' - instead of chasing the little blighters away, you attach a possum box to the side of your house (he suggested against a window) so that they have somewhere to live that isn't in your roof space, and you can watch them going about their possum business. Great for kids.

We had a possum in our roof in Oz. If you think a mouse is noisy, imagine a possum thundering up and down! He didn't do much damage, just made a real noise and fell of the electricity cable of a few times
Good idea with the possum box Bundy. My parents have fruit trees in their Melbourne garden. The possums don't run over the roof but my father is always cursing because they take one bite out of a peach or an apricot and drop it on the ground. They don't like CD's on a string (reflected light, they see themself or whatever) - my father tried this and they moved on.

OzTennis
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:02 pm
WBB

i'll second that, great idea, they are not likely to cause any harm are they ?

and like you say the kids will love watching them run around.

Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:04 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i'll second that, great idea, they are not likely to cause any harm are they ?

and like you say the kids will love watching them run around.
Never had any trouble with our possum, who was pretty shy. He did a great act in pretending not to move when you spotted him, when really he was wobbling about all over the place.

I suppose it is better to have them where you can see them than up i the roof chewing through all your wires
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:09 pm
WBB

I suppose it is better to have them where you can see them than up i the roof chewing through all your wires

and keeping you awake at night, they can be noisy little buggers.

Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:13 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by welshboybilly
and keeping you awake at night, they can be noisy little buggers.

Oh yes. Thundering up and down inside the roof space was bad enough, but when he got up on the roof itself it was even worse - tin roof, echoes nicely.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes. Thundering up and down inside the roof space was bad enough, but when he got up on the roof itself it was even worse - tin roof, echoes nicely.
The last time we were in NZ the farmers were going mad because the possums were stripping the leaves off the trees . The people we stayed with were out at night trying to catch the culprits!
I didn't know until I saw the prog. last night that they were a protected species! why are they when they appear to do so much damage??
Helinuk
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:26 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno about protected species, the damn things need shooting, they carry paralysis tick.

Poor Dagdog almost died from one when we were away over xmas .
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:29 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Dunno about protected species, the damn things need shooting, they carry paralysis tick.
Oooooooops, sorry podgy, you're exempt from that comment of course .
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by helinuk
The last time we were in NZ the farmers were going mad because the possums were stripping the leaves off the trees . The people we stayed with were out at night trying to catch the culprits!
I didn't know until I saw the prog. last night that they were a protected species! why are they when they appear to do so much damage??
Helinuk
In NZ they are considered vermin & can be destroyed. They were introduced from Australia & are not indigenous. They are a real problem. When I was in NZ, a farmer came into the backpackers where I was staying & asked if any of us wanted to go possum hunting. So a load of us went out with him that night armed with .22 rifles & shot a sh*t load of them on his farm. It was really easy to shoot them as they made no attempt to get away. Great fun.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by helinuk
Helinuk
Native fauna and all that me thinks. They won't necessarily be protected in NZ because they are in Australia though. Williamstown council have a possum collector. My father made enquiries and he got the bit about not allowed to re-locate them more than a certain distance away. To show how specific their territory is, my parents didn't have any possums for the first 15 years they lived in their current house. Three doors down knocked down some trees to build a swimming pool and that is when the possums appeared at their house. The biggest threat to wildlife in Australia (apart from humans) is the 'friendly neighbourhood cat'. A possum is a bit too big for 'moggy' so they concentrate on smaller marsupials and birds.

OzTennis
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Amazulu
Great fun.
I can just picture you on your anti foxhunting crusades.

No debate on this please!!!

OzTennis
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:55 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Amazulu
In NZ they are considered vermin & can be destroyed. They were introduced from Australia & are not indigenous. They are a real problem. When I was in NZ, a farmer came into the backpackers where I was staying & asked if any of us wanted to go possum hunting. So a load of us went out with him that night armed with .22 rifles & shot a sh*t load of them on his farm. It was really easy to shoot them as they made no attempt to get away. Great fun.

When I was in NZ, touring around on one of the backpacker networks, we spent most days working on our possum count - the number we could mow down. Did the same in Oz with cane toads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.