British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   A New Life Down Under (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/new-life-down-under-201108/)

russell deane Jan 8th 2004 8:20 pm

A New Life Down Under

I have just watched a new life down under and am glad that at last someone has moved without a hitch.

They seem to have settled ok but I was just a bit annoyed at how they invited only Welsh people to their BBQ. I understand that you need to make new friends and these people all have something in common with each other, but for god sake they are in a different country and did not want to mix with anyone else but Welsh people. We are moving this year and intend to find out more about where where we will be living, about Australian culture and mixing with as many people as possible.

Sorry to be negative!!

Russell

WBB Jan 8th 2004 8:53 pm

Re: A New Life Down Under

Originally posted by russell deane
I have just watched a new life down under and am glad that at last someone has moved without a hitch.

They seem to have settled ok but I was just a bit annoyed at how they invited only Welsh people to their BBQ. I understand that you need to make new friends and these people all have something in common with each other, but for god sake they are in a different country and did not want to mix with anyone else but Welsh people. We are moving this year and intend to find out more about where where we will be living, about Australian culture and mixing with as many people as possible.

Sorry to be negative!!

Russell
agreed, i am welsh but would be devastated to find all my neighbours in aussie were welsh, i think that family should of invited aussie neighbours to the BBQ.

tiredwithtwins Jan 8th 2004 8:55 pm

Originally posted by welshboybilly
agreed, i am welsh but would be devastated to find all my neighbours in aussie were welsh, i think that family should of invited aussie neighbours to the BBQ.

perhaps they did, but all the aussies were busy that night watching a program about all the poms moving down under!!!!:D

sue:D

WBB Jan 8th 2004 8:56 pm

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
perhaps they did, but all the aussies were busy that night watching a program about all the poms moving down under!!!!:D

sue:D

or all the aussies working in a bar in london.

;) :D

Olive101 Jan 8th 2004 8:57 pm

Perhaps they were worried where the lamb chops had been before they found their way onto the barbie...

(Predictable that was n't it - apologies).

:D

WBB Jan 8th 2004 8:59 pm

Originally posted by Olive101
Perhaps they were worried where the lamb chops had been before they found their way onto the barbie...

(Predictable that was n't it - apologies).

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Mr&MrsPom Jan 8th 2004 9:00 pm

The thing that I picked up on was that the land and house price was only $160k and thats in Melbourne which I thought was supposed to be expensive. The house was lovely as well.

Couldn't understand though why they were going to have to save for the deposit. They sold their own house in Swansea so surely they must have had some money behind them.

Olive101 Jan 8th 2004 9:00 pm

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

I did apologise WBB. Sorry.

I will shuffle off now and will not darken your screen again......

:(

WBB Jan 8th 2004 9:01 pm

Originally posted by Olive101
I did apologise WBB. Sorry.

I will shuffle off now and will not darken your screen again......

:(
come on you can do better than the usual sheep jokes, is there any originality on this site?

helinuk Jan 8th 2004 9:05 pm

Originally posted by Mr&MrsPom
The thing that I picked up on was that the land and house price was only $160k and thats in Melbourne which I thought was supposed to be expensive. The house was lovely as well.

Couldn't understand though why they were going to have to save for the deposit. They sold their own house in Swansea so surely they must have had some money behind them.
Yes I commented on that too to my hubby!
his reply was that they might not have made much of a profit!?

oh yes and the reason the house was so reasonable was because its 18 miles out of the city---down the Nepean Highway...keep going....on the way to Frankston! I passed through it in November! Nice but too far out for me....
Helinuk:)

booboo1 Jan 8th 2004 9:06 pm

a great episode tonight , especially as it is where Im heading for.
Yeah, the only prob was the lack of mixing with other peeps other than welsh.. but I know what I'm gonna ask for my (late) birthday pressie... to swim with the dolphins and seals.

booboo

dotty Jan 8th 2004 9:17 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr&MrsPom
The thing that I picked up on was that the land and house price was only $160k and thats in Melbourne which I thought was supposed to be expensive. The house was lovely as well.{ }

I think it may have been mentioned on here once or twice that these erm 'docos' are about as accurate with info on OZ as selecting a shoe size by trying them on your head.

I am not being rude before anone has a hissy, but anyone here will tell you that is not the house prices in Melb. Try www.realestate.com.au.

My recent time in the UK with 3 aussies in tow, had us watching 4 of these shows The aussies were in hysterics at the supposed facts given on OZ.

These shows are watched by people intending to emigrate, for many who have never been to OZ they are probably one of the main sources of info. Dont say they are not important to immos, or why else do we get hundreds of posts on them every time one is on. And a sway of reaction, good were all coming over, bad I am having these doubt.

To be honest having lived in OZ, I think people should treat them as Comedy not Documentary. The only thing that did seem useful was that they do hilite the fact that the arrival stage/setting up stage is very stressful on a lot of families.

wengerboy Jan 8th 2004 9:36 pm

job hunting

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty

Originally posted by Mr&MrsPom
The thing that I picked up on was that the land and house price was only $160k and thats in Melbourne which I thought was supposed to be expensive. The house was lovely as well.{ }

I think it may have been mentioned on here once or twice that these erm 'docos' are about as accurate with info on OZ as selecting a shoe size by trying them on your head.

I am not being rude before anone has a hissy, but anyone here will tell you that is not the house prices in Melb. Try www.realestate.com.au.

My recent time in the UK with 3 aussies in tow, had us watching 4 of these shows The aussies were in hysterics at the supposed facts given on OZ.

These shows are watched by people intending to emigrate, for many who have never been to OZ they are probably one of the main sources of info. Dont say they are not important to immos, or why else do we get hundreds of posts on them every time one is on. And a sway of reaction, good were all coming over, bad I am having these doubt.

To be honest having lived in OZ, I think people should treat them as Comedy not Documentary. The only thing that did seem useful was that they do hilite the fact that the arrival stage/setting up stage is very stressful on a lot of families.
hi dotty i think the most important aspect of this show 2nite was that for 6 months he never even made it 2 an interview:scared:

WBB Jan 8th 2004 9:38 pm

Re: job hunting

Originally posted by wengerboy
hi dotty i think the most important aspect of this show 2nite was that for 6 months he never even made it 2 an interview:scared:

thats a good point but the other side of the coin was his wife getting work straight away.

Mr&MrsPom Jan 8th 2004 9:39 pm

My mistake I think that should have been £160k not $ but still reasonable for the size etc. Mind you how old is the programme.

He did take a while to get a job though, but then he was happy at the end on his little moped. Not a bad job though trundling around posting letters all your thoughts to yourself.

Lousy weather though.