A new life

Old Jun 29th 2004, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

ifriend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A new life

Is Oz lifestyle is suitable for all people? My family will move to Sydney in September. I am afraid I cannot accustom to the new life in Sydney. I am now worry about it and feel depression.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 4:19 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jessica

What is making you worried?

From reading many threads here, everyone becomes worried about setting up in a new country and it's natural to be concerned about missing friends and family.

I'm sure you will try really hard to make it work and if it doesn't - so what? - at least you will have tried.

How many in your family are there and is everyone happy about the move?

Good luck with the move - I'm sure you'll get lots of support from a lot of places - including this site

Go for it!!
Old Jun 29th 2004, 4:36 pm
maggy

we all feel a little daunted with the process.

Dont worry you are not alone. Its normal

You will be fine and remember you are trying to give your family a better life.

So what if it does not go to plan YOU HAD THE GUTS TO TRY.

we are only here once and I would rather look back and say at least I tried.

Its better than WHAT IF.

Im shouting again very very sorry

Good luck to you and your family

mags
xxx

Old Jun 29th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A new life

Originally posted by ifriend
Is Oz lifestyle is suitable for all people? My family will move to Sydney in September. I am afraid I cannot accustom to the new life in Sydney. I am now worry about it and feel depression.
Hi Jessica

We have a daughter in Melbourne and also my wife's sister who has been in Aus for over 35 years. We've visited 5 times over the last 7 years. We're hoping to move to Melbourne late this year and early next.

Despite this I'm feeling really nervous about the move. As everyone has said this is normal although it dosen't feel like it.

So I feel the same as you. I'm sure we all do.

But be positive, life is going to be better, you know it will be and after a while when were settled, we'll love it!

We can always come back. There's no shame in that.

Better that than wondering what if?

Keep your spirits up and keep posting. We'll all stick together and keep each other positive.

Best wishes
Old Jun 29th 2004, 6:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, if anyone says they are not worried at all, I would be a bit concerned. Fear of the unknown is NORMAL. They are big changes to our lives and when we have kids the responsibility is mega.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We all feel down at times with the emigration process. If you think about it, you will be moving house, changing jobs and will have to settle into a new area and different culture. How many points is that on the life-stress scale, must be a lot eh?
I think you've done well in admitting to yourself that you feel depressed, it would be worse to pretend to yourself that everything is hunky dory, when it's not!
Then again, you need to keep an eye on yourself and confide in your family, incase it is real depression. Some users on the site have had clinical depression and it's got better, but some have got worse. If you think it is a concern, have a good chat with your doctor too.
I'm feeling a tad scared at the moment, waiting for the house to sell, we have several deadlines to work to and it can be hard at times. It is also worth asking how other people have coped. Perhaps there are some other expats in Sydney who you could chat to, or even meet up with. One of the ways I cope with it all is to consider that there are a lot of other migrants out there, who have got through it... eventually.
All the best
Larissa
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough

Hi Jessica,

I think it is natural to be wary and worried. It may be of comfort to know that you are not alone and I am in the same boat as you. My family are keen but I have had second thoughts and as someone has said above, the pressure is even greater if you have children to think about. Although you can always come back it has to be appreciated that you may not be able to pick up where you left off.
I feel the only way you can resolve it is by considering all the pros and cons and by eliminating as many of the "unknowns" as much as possible ie, in my case although my wife would be certain of getting a job due to demand, I would not but I could make the attempt to suss out the likelihood of getting a job now etc.

This forum has helped me by raising issues that I had not thought about but it can be depressing becasue it has raised doubts that didnt exist at first.

Isn't life simple
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stewie
But be positive, life is going to be better, you know it will be and after a while when were settled, we'll love it!

Stewie,

How do you know life is going to be better?
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

The vino is cheaper! <Poor joke, must be the stress>
Old Jun 29th 2004, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RAG62
Originally posted by Stewie

Stewie,

How do you know life is going to be better?
Hi Richard

It's a known fact

No seriously, I don't know that it will be better. But Im being positive by telling myself it will be.

I think this is half the problem with having all the doubts. I'm not sure. But hoping like hell that it will be.

Cheeers
Old Jun 29th 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Stewie
Hi Richard

It's a known fact

No seriously, I don't know that it will be better. But Im being positive by telling myself it will be.

I think this is half the problem with having all the doubts. I'm not sure. But hoping like hell that it will be.

Cheeers
Stewie,
glad to hear you are a positive person - wish I was

Lots of doubt at the moment myself but I think in the end it boils down to taking a chance and giving it 100% when you are there. Do you have kids to think about as well?