Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Industrial Estate behind Banksia Grove?

New Industrial Estate behind Banksia Grove?

Old Mar 14th 2010, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice
Default New Industrial Estate behind Banksia Grove?

I happened to be down at Carramar shopping centre this arvo. They had a few stalls, entertainment for the kids etc to celebrate the centre's first birthday. One of the stalls was organising a protest against the new industrial area which is proposed for behind Banksia Grove. This was the first I'd heard of it, but from what they were telling me it's going to be a zoned heavy industrial and once it meets up with the existing industrial area at Neerabup will be as big as Welshpool & Kewdale.

The concerns raised by the protesters were that there will be increased traffic on Joondalup Drive, especially heavy vehicles, which would devalue local residential property and that as the site is on top of the Gnangara Mound it will use up all the water.

Well, I've come away & thought about this today & I think the plan will be brilliant for the local area. So many of us locals have to commute into Perth/Welshpool etc and this would bring jobs into the area, so be good for the environment with shorter commutes. With more people working locally, surely property would become MORE sought-after, not less. And most of the heavy vehicles would come in from the Great Northern Highway and Neaves Road, so wouldn't interfere with local traffic towards Joondalup. As for the water use, well the Gnangara Mound serves a huge area of Perth, not just the area to be built on, and although any development is an additional drain on it, how is this worse than the 5000 houses they were originally talking about putting there?

As I said, today was the first I've heard of this and I only had a very short chat with the protesters, so I'm very open to further education
Old Mar 18th 2010, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

GraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to allGraemeS is a name known to all
Default Re: New Industrial Estate behind Banksia Grove?

Originally Posted by Jackier
I happened to be down at Carramar shopping centre this arvo. They had a few stalls, entertainment for the kids etc to celebrate the centre's first birthday. One of the stalls was organising a protest against the new industrial area which is proposed for behind Banksia Grove. This was the first I'd heard of it, but from what they were telling me it's going to be a zoned heavy industrial and once it meets up with the existing industrial area at Neerabup will be as big as Welshpool & Kewdale.

The concerns raised by the protesters were that there will be increased traffic on Joondalup Drive, especially heavy vehicles, which would devalue local residential property and that as the site is on top of the Gnangara Mound it will use up all the water.

Well, I've come away & thought about this today & I think the plan will be brilliant for the local area. So many of us locals have to commute into Perth/Welshpool etc and this would bring jobs into the area, so be good for the environment with shorter commutes. With more people working locally, surely property would become MORE sought-after, not less. And most of the heavy vehicles would come in from the Great Northern Highway and Neaves Road, so wouldn't interfere with local traffic towards Joondalup. As for the water use, well the Gnangara Mound serves a huge area of Perth, not just the area to be built on, and although any development is an additional drain on it, how is this worse than the 5000 houses they were originally talking about putting there?

As I said, today was the first I've heard of this and I only had a very short chat with the protesters, so I'm very open to further education
One of the problems I have heard about is chemical spills into the water supply, rather than using it up. Seemingly the mound supplies a lot of our drinking water.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

thats called progress. Its about time a industry zoned area was built around here, with all the houses popping up around here,

Joondulop drive needs dualling all the way up here

Last edited by Mumfords; Mar 21st 2010 at 12:15 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

If you have a look at this website http://wancrew.org/ it will give you the arguments against the development, including the possible contmination of the drinking water under the Gnangara Mound which supplies 60% of Perth's natural drinking water and is a priority 1 site - to me it just beggers belief that heavy/special industry could be allowed to go ahead under those circumstances, especially when residents building there have had to under take very monitered use and construction for that reason!
My children go to Banksia Grove Catholic School, very close to the proposed site and personally i don't fancy them breathing in dust from a cement works or whatever ends up there, all day at their ages. It is rather suspicious that most of the local residents here had no idea what was going on, which smacks of secrecy to me, and still, no one is prepared to say what induustry is likely to be allowed to go ahead there.....could be anything at the moment. No thanks, we most certainly protested against it.

Re the 'that's progress' and jobs for our kids arguments... there is soooo much space around here, why on earth build this right on top of a new residential area with schools right next door??????
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

god!!!!! whatever next a pub in carramar!!!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:49 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: New Industrial Estate behind Banksia Grove?

Originally Posted by Mumfords
god!!!!! whatever next a pub in carramar!!!
Please, won't somebody think of the children?!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

And where will the kids work?????

Lets be real here looking at the units empty in welshpool it wont be filled in 10 years there just ins't the business's around

Water wise gnagara mound supplies water to perth but wont last forever so other supplies will need to be sourced

At last some planner is planning for the future in perth not reacting to the present

Remember kids live and school around the Kwinana strip

Darren
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice

Well I went away & did a bit more research & am still in favour. As long as the businesses are monitored and controlled (and lets face it WA government excells at being controlling), I reckon the benefits more than outweigh the risks. Looking forward to a 5 minute commute
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HugoB
It is rather suspicious that most of the local residents here had no idea what was going on, which smacks of secrecy to me.
We live in Tapping and we regularly get leaflets about this new proposed development.

So, I don't see any "secrecy". You just need to read your junkmail before you put it into the bin.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackier
This was the first I'd heard of it, but from what they were telling me it's going to be a zoned heavy industrial
'Heavy industrial' would be things like oil refineries, chemical plants, steel works etc, so I doubt that it will be so. More like light industrial.