Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the new immigration system & Multiculturalism

the new immigration system & Multiculturalism

Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the new immigration system & Multiculturalism

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You are right, but I am sure proficient or competent English speakers can fit into the Australian community and can find work too. Unless the job they are looking for is on TV or jobs that really need good English.

You can see that state nomination gives an applicant 5 pts, and a phd gives 5 pts more than bcs. Why does English language have such gaps between each level: Competent, Proficient, and Superior?

It will simply target native English speakers rather than target highly qualified people.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:04 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, but I am sure proficient or competent English speakers can fit into the Australian community and can find work too. unless the job they are looking for is on TV or jobs that really need good English.

You can see that state nomination gives an applicant 5 pts, and a phd gives 5 pts more than bcs. Why does English language have such gaps between each level: Competent, Proficient, and Superior?

It will simply target native English speakers rather than target highly qualified people.
As Galloway said to Saddam, I salute your indefatigability.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Unless

I need a new screen! I read the full stop before it as a comma. You cannot start a sentence with a conjunction so it should be a comma and not a capital U.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, but I am sure proficient or competent English speakers can fit into the Australian community and can find work too. unless the job they are looking for is on TV or jobs that really need good English.

You missed the necessary capitals and 'the' before English language. Just sayin...
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You missed the necessary capitals and 'the' before English language. Just sayin...
its a gud job i didna need them xtra points tu got me a visa then init.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:42 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

So how the hell do Scots n Geordies get visas ????
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Dunno how they manage it,them scousers are even worse. This reminds me of the joke about Prince Charles visiting some scottish hospital. It goes like this and the bold bits should be read out loud with rhythm.

Prince Charles is visiting an Edinburgh hospital. He enters a ward full of patients with no obvious sign of injury or illness and greets one.

The patient replies:

"Fair fa your honest sonsie face,
Great chieftain o the puddin race,
Aboon them a ye take yer place,
Painch, tripe or thairm,
As langs my airm."

Charles is confused, so he just grins and moves on to the next patient. The patient responds:

"Some hae meat an canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat an we can eat,
So let the Lord be thankit."

Even more confused, and his grin now rictus-like, the Prince moves on to the next patient, who immediately begins to chant:

"Wee sleekit, cowerin, timrous beasty,
O the panic in thy breasty,
Thou needna start awa sae hastie,
Wi bickering brattle."

Now seriously troubled, Charles turns to the accompanying doctor and asks "Is this a psychiatric ward?"

"No," replies the doctor,

(wait for it!)

"this is the serious Burns unit."
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:07 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno how they manage it,them scousers are even worse. This reminds me of the joke about Prince Charles visiting some scottish hospital. It goes like this and the bold bits should be read out loud with rhythm.

Prince Charles is visiting an Edinburgh hospital. He enters a ward full of patients with no obvious sign of injury or illness and greets one.

The patient replies:

Painch, tripe or thairm,
As langs my airm."

Charles is confused, so he just grins and moves on to the next patient. The patient responds:

Even more confused, and his grin now rictus-like, the Prince moves on to the next patient, who immediately begins to chant:

Wi bickering brattle."

Now seriously troubled, Charles turns to the accompanying doctor and asks "Is this a psychiatric ward?"

(wait for it!)

****ing classic,i'm nicking that
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The patient replies:

Painch, tripe or thairm,
As langs my airm."

Wi bickering brattle."

(wait for it!)

Love it, duly stolen, made the mistake of trying to email it and the spellchecker in my email programme just had a nervous breakdown
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The patient replies:

Painch, tripe or thairm,
As langs my airm."

Wi bickering brattle."

(wait for it!)

That would work way better if it wasn't Charles. He'd know that poem like the back of his hand. Funny though.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 2:13 pm
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
That would work way better if it wasn't Charles. He'd know that poem like the back of his hand. Funny though.
Theres always one
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:08 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=asmgx;10198146]then definitely you are looking for native english speaking ppl, and no chance for new immigrant ppl to join your team if what you are looking for people with Superior english.
and i am sure not all native english speakers can get 8 in all 4 ielts subjects.

in every work enviroment in australia you find ppl from all over the world. with different accents and different english language abilities, and they all can communicate. i dont think a company would hire any one who does not speak english very well. but if they insist on hiring ppl with "Superior english" then i dont think you would see ppl from different countries.

In my experience they are quite openly racist here to people with different accents (as they are on this forum, teehee!) , as English is my first language but with a scottish accent it has been a real struggle.

Here are a couple of instances - me in a shop, can i have a can of coke please? shopkeeper, you can have a can of coke when you learn to say it properly.

me, buying a lotto ticket, shopkeeper 'if you intend to stay in this country you will have to learn to speak properly'

Daughters boyfriends sister (is high up in some company), told my daughter that she would never employ her or anyone else with a Scottish accent (even though my daughter is well on her way to a degree in Australia and 'the sister' has none.

Work - Asian nurse struggling to understand my accent (I have a pretty good ear for accents so I don't have a problem). Asian surgeon told the nurse to ignore me as all people from Scotland have funny accents and its impossible to understand them, me , not happy had words with him afterwards, his reply was 'no offence meant i just meant you have a funny accent , as do the Indian nurses!!

Believe me the amount of shit i've had to take at work (and not in jest), could open a whole other thread, but i would hazard a guess the two English nurses there get it harder than me, as far as i can see at work ozzies are willing to tolerate the Scots, but the English..........

Last edited by Margaret3; Jul 30th 2012 at 1:21 am.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
So how the hell do Scots n Geordies get visas ????
Thankfully we don't have to do an oral exam
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:23 am
Account Closed

The patient replies:

Painch, tripe or thairm,
As langs my airm."

Wi bickering brattle."

(wait for it!)

Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:17 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Margaret3;10200199]
Originally Posted by asmgx
then definitely you are looking for native english speaking ppl, and no chance for new immigrant ppl to join your team if what you are looking for people with Superior english.
and i am sure not all native english speakers can get 8 in all 4 ielts subjects.

in every work enviroment in australia you find ppl from all over the world. with different accents and different english language abilities, and they all can communicate. i dont think a company would hire any one who does not speak english very well. but if they insist on hiring ppl with "Superior english" then i dont think you would see ppl from different countries.

In my experience they are quite openly racist here to people with different accents (as they are on this forum, teehee!) , as English is my first language but with a scottish accent it has been a real struggle.

Here are a couple of instances - me in a shop, can i have a can of coke please? shopkeeper, you can have a can of coke when you learn to say it properly.

me, buying a lotto ticket, shopkeeper 'if you intend to stay in this country you will have to learn to speak properly'

Daughters boyfriends sister (is high up in some company), told my daughter that she would never employ her or anyone else with a Scottish accent (even though my daughter is well on her way to a degree in Australia and 'the sister' has none.

Work - Asian nurse struggling to understand my accent (I have a pretty good ear for accents so I don't have a problem). Asian surgeon told the nurse to ignore me as all people from Scotland have funny accents and its impossible to understand them, me , not happy had words with him afterwards, his reply was 'no offence meant i just meant you have a funny accent , as do the Indian nurses!!

Believe me the amount of shit i've had to take at work (and not in jest), could open a whole other thread, but i would hazard a guess the two English nurses there get it harder than me, as far as i can see at work ozzies are willing to tolerate the Scots, but the English..........

I used to work in recruitment in Melbourne. One of our screening procedures was to call prospective candidates on the phone, and screen them out based on their accent. Obviously ESL accents were a definite no, along with accents from certain suburbs/ethnic communities.

HOpefully it's changed since then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.