Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New free channels

New free channels

Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:18 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default New free channels

Does anyone know when these are supposed to be operational?

On one of the sports shows a week ago it was mentioned that Channel One was an HD 24 hour sports channel which could be viewed. Does anyone have any info?

Thanks.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New free channels

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Does anyone know when these are supposed to be operational?

On one of the sports shows a week ago it was mentioned that Channel One was an HD 24 hour sports channel which could be viewed. Does anyone have any info?

Thanks.
I can already get that one.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

ONE HD started last week
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:23 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

ONE-HD...
utterly fantastic...

you get to watch NZ inter-university netball competitions and US go-kart racing in the place where they used to broadcast high definition nature documentaries and quality sci-fi and dramas....

Nice work TEN
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:24 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet available on our local transmitter. Which is a ball-ache because I have to go round to my mum's house every other day and retune her digital set-top box because she's so keen on seeing this new 24 hour sports channel.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:30 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

One HD is a good addition (for a happy F1 fan), but I am pissed that channel 10 HD is no more...
I would much rather it was the sport channel in SD and the usual channel 10 content in HD...
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

dont even get 10 so doubt we'll get this new one
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:51 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

How odd. I've had One and OneHD for about 2 or so months now. Also had ABC2 & 3 for at least a year
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:06 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
How odd. I've had One and OneHD for about 2 or so months now. Also had ABC2 & 3 for at least a year
Actual transmissions on OneHD (the sport channel) only started about 2 weeks ago.. there may have been a test signal before that?
One HD used to be mostly a high def version of what was on their standard channel.

ABC2 has been around for a bit, not sure about ABC3 though....
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:22 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
Not yet available on our local transmitter. Which is a ball-ache because I have to go round to my mum's house every other day and retune her digital set-top box because she's so keen on seeing this new 24 hour sports channel.
Hi hutch,

You wouldn't like to come and retune my top box also would you?? Is it easy to do?

I think we need to get everything retuned as we had an HD ready TV but was told we needed a top box which cost an arm and a leg but can still only record to video in non HD.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:35 am
Full Throttle

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Hi hutch,

You wouldn't like to come and retune my top box also would you?? Is it easy to do?

I think we need to get everything retuned as we had an HD ready TV but was told we needed a top box which cost an arm and a leg but can still only record to video in non HD.
you can buy HD set top boxes for less than $150, so that should not be a problem...
get a hard drive recorder and you will be able to record in HD on that...
you may even be able to get a HD set top box and recorder in one these days (it was 4 years ago I got mine)...
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:43 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

All the channels have put their plans for an additional SD channel each on hold. Sep-Oct 2009 is the estimate from 9 and I wouldn't hold you breath.

Ten have not added anything. All they have done is change the name and content of their only HD channel. It was called Ten HD and contained simulcast HD content as well as upscaled SD events from Ten Digital. Now it's called ONE HD and is basically an HD "sports" channel. If you count sports as doco's on Rock Climbing and Surfing mixed with high adrenaline Aussie Netball. So people who have an HD TV have actually lost content in this move as Ten have now no way to broadcast any of their regular shows or the ones from the US in HD (which are lot were).

Freeview is just a marketing name for the Digital TV "alliance" between the existing broadcasters. All they agreed to do that was new was to release a new SD channel each.

It sucks.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:46 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
It sucks.
That it does. Donkey cock, at that.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone please know the bandwidths for HD ONE? I have done auto tune and cant find it. I get channel ten so was kinda hoping i would be able to pick this one up for the Grand Prix only i have no idea of the broadcasting frequency
Thanks

FORGET WHAT I JUST SAID - THINK I FOUND OUT THE REASON :-(

Posted By: ONEmod Created in: Forum: ONE Help Forum Posted: 12/04/2009 03:47
One of the biggest topics for discussion on these forums has been the new OneHD channel and its availability to regional viewers. One of the biggest reasons for this is viewers' mistaken belief that TEN is responsible for transmission to these areas.

While OneHD has been launched successfully in the five metro markets owned by the TEN Network, regional viewers would be slowly realising that this exciting new channel is not yet available to them. This is because TEN does not own the licences to broadcast to these markets, but instead these are owned by regional television media outlets that are known as "affiliates". TEN has no influence over the day-to-day running of these affiliates and all TEN can do is supply them with the data stream.

At the moment, there is no definite date for when these will be broadcasting OneHD as the majority of affiliates are building the infrastructure required and testing it. Latest reports in the media have placed the current launch date at, or about, mid-year. Until the affiliates choose to release a press statement, we are as in the dark as you are about their plans. Rest assured that as soon as any news comes to light, it will be reported in some manner on this forum.

Different areas in Australia are subject to different affiliate stations. Below is a list of the different affiliates and their contact details, should you wish to contact them directly. We cannot guarantee they'll reply, but it is worth a shot.

NSW, QLD, ACT, VIC and SA
Southern Cross Ten
(Note: this broadcaster is known as Southern Cross Television in Regional SA and Central Australia )
http://www.southerncrossbroadcasting.com.au/
Owned by Macquarie Media Group
http://www.macquarie.com.au/au/mmg/investments/msc.htm
You can contact Macquarie Media directly at
http://www.macquarie.com.au/au/mmg/contact.htm or
[email protected]

I cannot find an email address for Southern Cross, but mail and phone/fax contact details are listed on their website and below:
Queensland
Southern Cross TEN
PO Box 1016
Townsville QLD 4810
Ph: 07 4726 2000
Fax: 07 4726 2057

NSW and ACT
Southern Cross TEN
Private Bag 10
Dickson ACT 2602
Ph: 02 6242 2400
Fax: 02 6241 6511

Victoria
Southern Cross TEN
PO Box 888
Bendigo VIC 3550
Ph: 03 5430 2888
Fax: 03 5430 2858

Alice Springs
Seven Central
PO Box 4277
Alice Springs NT 0871
Ph: 08 8958 2777
Fax: 08 8952 7677

Tasmania
Tasmanian Digital Television (TDT)
Jointly run by the Macquarie Media Group and WIN Television
Contact them using the following website
http://www.wincorp.com.au/contact.php?Func=feed&state=TAS

Darwin
Darwin Digital Television (DDT)
Jointly owned by the Macquarie Media Group and PBL Media
http://www.tendarwin.com.au/2009/
Contact them via email at this website

Western Australia
WIN Television
Contact them using the following website
http://www.wintv.com.au/contact.php?Func=feed&state=WA

We hope that this announcement aids you in your enquiries.

Last edited by daunted; Apr 26th 2009 at 11:25 am. Reason: found the answer