Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Citizenship Legislation is in the Parliament

New Citizenship Legislation is in the Parliament

Old Nov 14th 2005, 12:28 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Citizenship Legislation is in the Parliament

Originally Posted by Amanda&Paul
We are eligable beginning of Jan 06 - can we book an interview now for just after then if you know what I mean. If so can you get submit you application once you've been here 2 years or now ready for your interview - I am confused can you tell! Also is it quicker to apply on the net? Help!
You can't submit your application until you fit all the residency requirements, they have a bit on the website that you can put in the dates you have been in the country and it tells you if you are eligable to apply, sorry can't find the link maybe someone else knows it.

Lynn
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:53 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Two tips:

1. Remember that if you leave the country/left the country the clock stops. So if you are due for 2 years on 29 June and leave the country for a week or two then the new Act commences on 1 July, you wil not be eligible.

2. The fastest way is probably to book an interview and take your forms with you on the 2 year mark. DIMIA citizenship line can tell you when your 2 years is exactly to save errors. Applying over the net seems to take ages to get an interview.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:13 pm
Very happy member !!!

bubcay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
1. Remember that if you leave the country/left the country the clock stops. So if you are due for 2 years on 29 June and leave the country for a week or two then the new Act commences on 1 July, you wil not be eligible.
Good to know that, although I have not planned to go anywhere for at least 3-4 years.

However, getting the Citizenship ASAP is very important for me because of eligibility for HECS/HELP student loan.

Cheers

Last edited by bubcay; Nov 14th 2005 at 11:27 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amanda&Paul
We are eligable beginning of Jan 06 - can we book an interview now for just after then if you know what I mean. If so can you get submit you application once you've been here 2 years or now ready for your interview
You must meet the residence requirements when you formally apply for citizenship. Use the residence calculator at http://www.citizenship.gov.au

Nothing stopping you booking an interview now for a date in the future when you'll be eligible, call 131880.

- I am confused can you tell! Also is it quicker to apply on the net? Help!
Applying 'online' is probably the *slowest* way to do things. However it does get your application in the system (if all goes well) and that will be important to some people close to the deadline if they find all the citizenship interviews are booked up.

I believe you can still lodge in person at a DIMIA office (if the deadline is approaching, make sure you get a receipt) but I don't if they do interviews any more for those who just turn up without appointment. They used to.

Applying before you meet the residence requirement is *not* a good idea.

Jeremy
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Two tips:

Not a problem if a citizenship application is already in the system - it just goes 'on hold' until you get back.

2. The fastest way is probably to book an interview and take your forms with you on the 2 year mark. DIMIA citizenship line can tell you when your 2 years is exactly to save errors.

Better still, use the residence calculator at http://www.citizenship.gov.au

Jeremy
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
You must meet the residence requirements when you formally apply for citizenship. Use the residence calculator at http://www.citizenship.gov.au

Nothing stopping you booking an interview now for a date in the future when you'll be eligible, call 131880.

Applying 'online' is probably the *slowest* way to do things. However it does get your application in the system (if all goes well) and that will be important to some people close to the deadline if they find all the citizenship interviews are booked up.

I believe you can still lodge in person at a DIMIA office (if the deadline is approaching, make sure you get a receipt) but I don't if they do interviews any more for those who just turn up without appointment. They used to.

Applying before you meet the residence requirement is *not* a good idea.

Jeremy

Cheers Jeremy - you're a diamond, I thought I had read that you could book up your apointment before you're eligable - must have been here.

Thanks again
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:45 am
Very happy member !!!

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Sorry to be a pain in the neck, but I would just like to get this right - I could book an interview now for some time in July next year provided that I meet the eligibility criteria then? This of course if the current legislation (2 years residency) is still on 29 June next year.

Thank you so much for your time Jeremy.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:49 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Ok now i'm confused too. Applying online here in WA is quite quick, usually interview within 4 weeks and ceremony 8 weeks later. As for being able to arrange it before the residency requirement is up, i know of someone who applied on line 1 week early and it was returned to them. So if someone calls up to book an interview what do they then do about the application. Sorry to be thick

Lynn
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:11 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Ok now i'm confused too. Applying online here in WA is quite quick, usually interview within 4 weeks and ceremony 8 weeks later. As for being able to arrange it before the residency requirement is up, i know of someone who applied on line 1 week early and it was returned to them. So if someone calls up to book an interview what do they then do about the application. Sorry to be thick

Lynn

If you apply 'online' you are making the application. So you need to meet the residence requirement at that point.

But when you call to book an interview, you don't make the application until you actually do the interview. You can't apply for citizenship over the phone.

Jeremy
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:13 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by bubcay
Sorry to be a pain in the neck, but I would just like to get this right - I could book an interview now for some time in July next year provided that I meet the eligibility criteria then? This of course if the current legislation (2 years residency) is still on 29 June next year.

Thank you so much for your time Jeremy.

Only if they are taking appointments that far ahead. And all you can do is book an interview over the phone, you can't apply for now.

Jeremy
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:14 am
Breeding little aussies

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you apply 'online' you are making the application. So you need to meet the residence requirement at that point.

But when you call to book an interview, you don't make the application until you actually do the interview. You can't apply for citizenship over the phone.

Jeremy
Oh thats really good, i didn't know you could do that, i presumed that you had to "make the application" then they contacted you with the interview date. Thanks for that JAJ you really are a star!

Lynn
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:26 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Oh thats really good, i didn't know you could do that, i presumed that you had to "make the application" then they contacted you with the interview date. Thanks for that JAJ you really are a star!

Lynn
Queensland are taking interviews for 8-9 weeks ahead only, I booked mine last week for the 18th Jan 06. Wife and 3 children had theirs last week, received a letter of approval today from the Hon John Cobb MP, congratulating them pending the ceremony. Only problem is I was fined last year for drinking alcohol on the beach, will this count as a police record when I apply.

Slater
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:58 pm
Very happy member !!!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Only if they are taking appointments that far ahead. And all you can do is book an interview over the phone, you can't apply for now.
Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy, that is good to know.

Cheers