Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Australian bank account

New Australian bank account

Old May 3rd 2019, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

SAMHINAL1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Australian bank account

My mother has a British passport and has moved with me to Australia on a permanent resident Visa. Only proof of address is the one on the Visa letter. From any personal experience, which banks will be easy for her to open a current account for normal everyday use. She will not be working at the moment. Thank you
Old May 4th 2019, 12:54 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Australian bank account

Originally Posted by SAMHINAL1 View Post
My mother has a British passport and has moved with me to Australia on a permanent resident Visa. Only proof of address is the one on the Visa letter. From any personal experience, which banks will be easy for her to open a current account for normal everyday use. She will not be working at the moment. Thank you
Most of the big banks have migrant banking sections. Any of them will be able to help her set up an account.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 8:08 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Commonwealth was easy when we had foreign exchange students. I believe you have to arrange it within a certain timeframe of arrival otherwise you have to go down the whole 100 points i.d.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 2:59 am
Just Joined

mangotree is an unknown quantity at this point

Talk to ING in Britain before coming here. They have banks in both countries.
I was also able to open a Commonwealth account in London before we moved here using Uk ID.

Last edited by mangotree; Jun 19th 2019 at 3:01 am. Reason: Unclear original statement
Old Aug 16th 2019, 7:49 am
Just Joined

mpjdodge is an unknown quantity at this point

Might be different if already in Australia but I bank with HSBC and was able to open up a banked account in Australia from the UK with a single form. They will also transfer my credit history out to OZ when I move.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 11:46 am
Last resort... format c:/

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I'd give HSBC or Citi a look, the latter looking especially interesting if you'll be travelling in the future. Their free, everyday account is called Citibank Plus and actually comes with one of the best debit cards in Australia as it charges 0% on foreign currency transactions abroad (same with overseas ATM withdrawals). So you basically get the official Mastercard rate each and every time with no additional bank charges.

HSBC will even charge it's top ("Premier") customers 2% on foreign spend (so MC rate plus an additional 2% added to the total). On top of that they convert currencies at a worse rate than Citi (though still a better rate than practically all other banks).

Both banks open accounts for residents and non-residents alike so you should be fine.