Never visited

Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:51 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Never visited

Originally Posted by possoms
Aaaah now that i'm used to we have little spiders living in our pegs i always keep them on the washing line they also snap very easily think its cos of the webs they weave in them i know i should bring them indoors but dont want to make them homeless and they are very cute
Ours are spider free (see below), i'm sure its the sunlight, as they seem to fade in colour first, and then break up

I'm one of those that uses outdoor mortein spray

Old Oct 29th 2004, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Muzzman
Hi, we never visited before we emmigrated 10 weeks ago. I'll probably get slated for this but we think that Oz has lots of similarities to Britain. We were very happy in Britain, although we are unhappy with the way the country was being run.

Karen
Just quoted a bit of the above

We also feel this and we also didn't come out here to visit beforehand, we had planned to but then discovered I was pregnant with our son. Don't regret for a minute our decision to settle in Adelaide as we are really happy here. Yes, there may be somewhere better for us but only time will tell. The beauty about Australia for us is that it is familiar enough to feel like home and yet different enough to make it interesting too. The only thing we miss is the pubs!!!!!
Incidentally, when do you reach the stage that you talk of the UK but do not refer to it as home?????
Susan
Old Oct 29th 2004, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Muzzman
Hi, we never visited before we emmigrated 10 weeks ago. I'll probably get slated for this but we think that Oz has lots of similarities to Britain. We were very happy in Britain, although we are unhappy with the way the country was being run. Here we are going to be very happy and were not going to look out of the window at greyness for the next 30-40 years of our lives. That is enough for us. (Although we may die of skin cancer)
Karen

Here, here.
Personally, I would have been prepared to just go to Oz. It was only the fact that we are waiting for my wife to finish her nursing that we didn't go straight.
We had to visit to validate our visas though and as we ain't exactly flush we stayed with my sponsor, my cousin and her family in Melbourne.
Although we have decided on either Perth or QLD this was good because 1. we got to sightsee an area of the country and 2.Confirmed our decision to live elsewhere.
We treated ours like a holiday anyway and personally don't see how you can know what it's like to live and work in a country by staying in a hotel for 2 weeks and sightseeing.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 11:20 am
Thinking of a move

Greyhound is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies. It's nice to know that other people haven't visited before moving there and have enjoyed it.

I don't expect to move to another Uk if we did move to Australia, we want to try a different way of life, something different. We also have the attitude that if we do go it doesn't have to be forever, if we don't like we come back or try somewhere else. We just don't want to regret things in life as it's too short.

By the way, the soap view of Oz was a joke. British soaps aren't life like, so I really don't expect Home and Away to be life like either.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:35 pm
A happy pom in Oz!

johnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone emigrated without seeing it first hand? How did it go? Would you emigrate again without seeing the Country first?

Well Lizzie had been over East (Sydney for a holiday!).

I never had seen the place.. but always one for an adventure ...

We came here WA a couple of years later ..

we landed ...

she said ..

I am HOME!

Amazing!

I went back to my home town four years ago .. great pubs, clubs, Indian restaurants that you wouldn't believe!

Seeing all my old mates...

So wonderful in many ways ...

but after 3 weeks ... I couldn't wait to get HOME!

It is where your heart is!

Now ... I think a pommie Aussie ... should be called a Pozzie!

Old Oct 29th 2004, 1:07 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

This whole process is going to cost you well over £10k (possibly double if you take into account estate agents fees etc) so I suggest it is worth investing £1000 and one of you taking a couple of weeks out there to explore a bit. I suggest you make a best guess at where you are most likely to prefer and head for there first as there are many different versions of Australia. Personally, Sydney had all of the hassles of UK but with little of the charm other than the harbour, Melbourne felt British and has possibly the worst weather but had all of the sport, comedy festival etc, Canberra was green but soulless, Brizzie nice but way too hot for me, Adelaide quaint and English, didn't see Perth but alledgedly like Adelaide, Gold Coast not tacky as some say but without charm, Sunshine Coast like Gold Coast but nicer. And then there are the areas away from the cities which are like living the Aussie version of Heartbeat. Massive generalisations in there will no doubt attract refinements / arguments but you should get my point that there are many different Australias and all very different. So make sure you choose the right one for you.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
This whole process is going to cost you well over £10k (possibly double if you take into account estate agents fees etc) so I suggest it is worth investing £1000 and one of you taking a couple of weeks out there to explore a bit. I suggest you make a best guess at where you are most likely to prefer and head for there first as there are many different versions of Australia. Personally, Sydney had all of the hassles of UK but with little of the charm other than the harbour, Melbourne felt British and has possibly the worst weather but had all of the sport, comedy festival etc, Canberra was green but soulless, Brizzie nice but way too hot for me, Adelaide quaint and English, didn't see Perth but alledgedly like Adelaide, Gold Coast not tacky as some say but without charm, Sunshine Coast like Gold Coast but nicer. And then there are the areas away from the cities which are like living the Aussie version of Heartbeat. Massive generalisations in there will no doubt attract refinements / arguments but you should get my point that there are many different Australias and all very different. So make sure you choose the right one for you.

Dont forget Tasmania !!!!!!! its full of nice pubs and restaurants, art galleries, beautiful buildings etc etc - The bush is beautiful, the people are charming and the weather is still mild if you compare it to England( you can surf in summer and ski in winter) !!! Plus the houses are cheap ( but the job prospects a bit rubbish !!)

I would never spend all that money not to mention the emotional turmoil without visiting Australia first. Thats just my opinion though !!!!

Nat
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greyhound
Thanks for your replies. It's nice to know that other people haven't visited before moving there and have enjoyed it.

I don't expect to move to another Uk if we did move to Australia, we want to try a different way of life, something different. We also have the attitude that if we do go it doesn't have to be forever, if we don't like we come back or try somewhere else. We just don't want to regret things in life as it's too short.

By the way, the soap view of Oz was a joke. British soaps aren't life like, so I really don't expect Home and Away to be life like either.
My sentiments exactly,we re heading out to brisbane next year,we have done a lot of searching on line and by chatting to people to come up with brisbaneand thought we d start there,if we dont like it we ll move else where, we re not expecting everything to rosy we just want a different way of life,we did think about a research trip but after realising how much it was going to cost us,and would yo really get a feel for the place staying in a hotel for 2wks,we thought that,that money would keep us going for a couple of months once we got there,and give us time to have a really good look around,if we had relies out there it might be a different matter,whereabouts are you thinking of going greyhound.

tracey.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

amandat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Greyhound
Has anyone just emigrated over to Australia without visiting it first?

I've never been, but like the sound of it. Although I think I have a view of Oz that's probably only seen on Neighbours and Home and Away!

We are a stuck in a rut at the moment and have thought of several things that we would like to do. One of them is try a different way of life, live in another Country. So Australia is looks like.

Has anyone emigrated without seeing it first hand? How did it go? Would you emigrate again without seeing the Country first?

Thanks
Hi
I've never been but I've been nagging to move there for about 15 years I have always thought it would be a better way of life. My husband has never wanted to untill he went over last year (to do with his job) and fell in love with the place now we are looking into it, wish he'd gone sooner but never mind.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amandat
Hi
I've never been but I've been nagging to move there for about 15 years I have always thought it would be a better way of life. My husband has never wanted to untill he went over last year (to do with his job) and fell in love with the place now we are looking into it, wish he'd gone sooner but never mind.
I had researched Australia until it was coming out of my ears before going over for a working holiday. Despite everything, there was still a lot about Aus which surprised me, sometimes unpleasantly, but often in a very nice way. Finding these things out is part of the adventure, but I know that I have a very different overall view of the country from before I visited.

Good luck to anyone who has gambled on emigrating there without visiting, and found it to be all they dreamed of. You are far braver than me......
Old Oct 29th 2004, 9:31 pm
Thinking of a move

Greyhound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scissors
My sentiments exactly,we re heading out to brisbane next year,we have done a lot of searching on line and by chatting to people to come up with brisbaneand thought we d start there,if we dont like it we ll move else where, we re not expecting everything to rosy we just want a different way of life,we did think about a research trip but after realising how much it was going to cost us,and would yo really get a feel for the place staying in a hotel for 2wks,we thought that,that money would keep us going for a couple of months once we got there,and give us time to have a really good look around,if we had relies out there it might be a different matter,whereabouts are you thinking of going greyhound.

tracey.
My partner is going to apply for a job in Brisbane. So around Brisbane at the moment. We've been looking at websites with Brisbane and it looks lovely. We haven't really got the money to visit and then emigrate as well. Besides, like you say you don't ever really get a good feel for a place just from a holiday and probably won't change my view, as so far I have wanted to move everywhere I have been on holiday.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Well, call us crazy but Me my partner, our 2 boys ages 2and12yrs our going for it, wev've never been to aus, but now have our visas, putting the house on the market next week, and as soon as we sell it, we're off. Goin to the other side of the world with 2 kids and loads of suitcases. We've got no job, no house, no schooling, just each other.(ahhhh!!!) But, it's something we just all feel so strongly about. We just have to do it. And whats meant to be, is meant to be. Some, can't ajust, and just have barriers up in what ever they try to acheive, others find it's he best thing they could have ever done and make relly good lives for themselves. It's a big old world out there and it's there to be explored. So I say go for it and as long as you put 100% into it, what ever happens, you can say I gave it my best shot. Goodluck mate and GO FOR IT.